Your fleet running reports

GG.

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 pm THRILLING FUEL CONSUMPTION NEWS

38.0mpg on my drive to work this morning according to the app (yes, there’s an app for that), or 38.2mpg on the OBC in the car.

IMG_1012.jpeg
How have you managed that :lol:

My highest in the last 300 journeys (you can download this data from the app as an excel :ugeek: ) is 35.5 but then again I usually start or finish in congested city traffic. I think the 911 is capable of very similar fuel economy.

Do you know if the pre-facelift V8 diesel is the same state of tune as mine - is it badged "SDV8"?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 pm How have you managed that :lol:

My highest in the last 300 journeys (you can download this data from the app as an excel :ugeek: ) is 35.5 but then again I usually start or finish in congested city traffic. I think the 911 is capable of very similar fuel economy.

Do you know if the pre-facelift V8 diesel is the same state of tune as mine - is it badged "SDV8"?
It's almost all A road / DC / motorway not urban. Cruise set to 70 most of the time, but there's a long stretch of 50mph average speed cameras past Reading which helps a bit.

It's an SDV8. Not sure if they came in different levels of tune.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 pm
GG. wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 pm How have you managed that :lol:

It's almost all A road / DC / motorway not urban. Cruise set to 70 most of the time, but there's a long stretch of 50mph average speed cameras past Reading which helps a bit.

It's an SDV8. Not sure if they came in different levels of tune.
All 334 bhp by the looks of it
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Yeah. 110% of the pad used.

New discs required not surprisingly. Oh and no rear wear sensors so that brake warning light was on bectthe front pads needed doing as well 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Excellent. You really got your money’s worth from those 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Possible progress on the Bentley. A very nice chap contacted me through eBay to say the knocking noise is likely to be the bolts securing the top mounts. They’re stretch bolts and if you re-use them (which I have, several times now :oops: ) they bottom out and appear to be tight, but aren’t actually holding it together properly.

This would explain why I couldn’t find anything wrong with the ball joints & bushes !

IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Fri May 17, 2024 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's another 5 mm of metal to use yet Swerve!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:12 am Possible progress on the Bentley. A very nice chap contacted me through eBay to say the knocking noise is likely to be the bolts securing the top mounts. They’re stretch bolts and if you re-use them (which I have, several times now :oops: ) they bottom out and appear to be tight, but aren’t actually holding it together properly.

This would explain why I couldn’t find anything wrong with the ball joints & bushes !
what else have you been "fixing"...? £3k - final offer.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Stretch bolts are awesome at holding stuff together but also a pain. On our work stuff you measure the stretch of a new bolt to determine if the torque is enough. It really is clever on some parts.

On the TT they use stretch bolts for the engine mounts. If you reuse them they are either already used a couple of times, slightly deformed and rip the thread out of the mount. Or you drive down the road and at any point they snap and drop the engine in the road 😂

No idea why Audi used them on mounts.

Dave!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:13 am what else have you been "fixing"...?
I think the standard reply to that kind of question is “your mum” ? :D

It didn’t cross my mind they would be stretch bolts, I think I’ve only ever encountered those on cylinder heads.

From googling they seem to be M10x30. I’ve got plenty of ordinary M10 screws, I’ll wang some of those in and see if it cures it.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:29 am
😂
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It didn’t cross my mind they would be stretch bolts, I think I’ve only ever encountered those on cylinder heads.

From googling they seem to be M10x30. I’ve got plenty of ordinary M10 screws, I’ll wang some of those in and see if it cures it.
It also makes a difference if it’s a rolled or cut thread. A rolled thread is pushed into the material and a cut thread is cut.

Dave!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:12 am Possible progress on the Bentley. A very nice chap contacted me through eBay to say the knocking noise is likely to be the bolts securing the top mounts. They’re stretch bolts and if you re-use them (which I have, several times now :oops: ) they bottom out and appear to be tight, but aren’t actually holding it together properly.

IMG_1016.jpeg
That guy deserves a beer 🍻
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:33 am That guy deserves a beer 🍻
If it turns out to be correct - absolutely !! I'll be putting the price up by £1k 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 am
Gavster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:33 am That guy deserves a beer 🍻
If it turns out to be correct - absolutely !! I'll be putting the price up by £1k 8-)
So new bolts, or existing with some extra washers? Just to prove the concept of course..... and you can then replace with new bolts just before you sell it. :geek:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

BMW tend to use stretch bolts on some of the control arms. But on top mounts seems odd!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:12 am There's another 5 mm of metal to use yet Swerve!
:D

I didn't get to see the discs, but when I asked how bad they were he just looked at me with gritted teeth. And when I asked if it was normal for rear pads to wear so quickly, he said it's not normal but also he's rarely seen front pads worn through by 36,000mi. I just stared at the wife (her car) and the technician in the background was pissing himself laughing.

She is the last of the late brakers my wife. On the drive there she was nailed to my rear bumper, despite having no rear brakes and being told to take it easy :roll: :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:49 pm My wife's Macan had its first oil change today.
I posted that on 9 Feb. Just booked its second oil change in June. Crikey! Moving house may have cut the mileage I'm doing down a bit but it's increased the Macan's. And that won't do 50mpg; I am not sure it's ever done 30mpg in her hands.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:26 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:49 pm My wife's Macan had its first oil change today.
I posted that on 9 Feb. Just booked its second oil change in June. Crikey! Moving house may have cut the mileage I'm doing down a bit but it's increased the Macan's. And that won't do 50mpg; I am not sure it's ever done 30mpg in her hands.
And this is the 4cyl right?? Engine downsizing is the biggest con of modern times.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is she doing 10,000 miles every 3 months :shock: :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?