Beer Fred

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Re: Dangerous beers...

Post by 16vCento »

They do a golden ale one as well that seems to have good reviews.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@Gavster did you try that Days stuff? I haven't tried it but they seem to be really pushing it to me on social media.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I agree on Atlantic Brewing - would also recommend their Golden Dawn as well as Run Wild (in fact I prefer it).
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:05 pm @Gavster did you try that Days stuff? I haven't tried it but they seem to be really pushing it to me on social media.
Nope not seen that one. I was just working through whatever I could find in the supermarkets so if it was online only it would have passed me by
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:51 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:05 pm @Gavster did you try that Days stuff? I haven't tried it but they seem to be really pushing it to me on social media.
Nope not seen that one. I was just working through whatever I could find in the supermarkets so if it was online only it would have passed me by
Supposedly available in Tesco, but I don't shop there so dunno if one can find it on the shelves anywhere.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Okay, will keep an eye out for it. The rotations of NA beer stock in supermarkets seems to be very random, some will have very little, selling just a couple of lagers and Guinness zero, then another one will have a massive range of craft-style NA beers, which will be gone the following week.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm To bring a counter-cultural edge to this thread and talk about the most non-dangerous beers, I've spent the last few months trying all the low/no alcohol beers I can find in the main supermarkets and there's been one very, very clear winner, Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPA.

It's the first zero alcohol beer where I've genuinely wanted to plough through the entire pack. Everyone raves about Guinness 0% and that stuff is nice, but it's still boring after one can. The Athletic Brewing IPA is in a different class, it's got none of that sweetness that NA beers often have (such as the Erdinger) and would absolutely pass a blind taste test alongside regular IPAs. Even my dad, who's a die-hard ale drinker thinks it is fantastic.

The only problem is that it's hard to find. Tesco did stock it, however I've not seen any on the shelves in any of my locals for a few weeks. Cases are available from other sellers online, however they come in at nearly double what it costs in Tesco. If you see it at the £5 per 4 pack, grab me a slab.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /312848087
I'll have to give that a try. I did rave about Guiness 0% for a while but it is indeed boring now (I did drink quite a lot of it last year). I wasn't impressed with any of the 0% IPAs I tried; they tasted a bit thin or soapy compared to an alcoholic one. I do still like the Erdinger Isotonic and generally find the alcohol free lagers drinkable but not exciting.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NGRhodes wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm Image
As an Irishman I have to say... I'm not sure if it's the glass, or the light, or the fact it's a 0% but that Pint does not look right at all
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Do we really need to include 0%/low% beers in the dangerous beers thread? :lol:
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Can we simply make it a 'beer' thread then? Seems crazy to have separate threads for low and high alcohol beers 😂
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd be interested in an update if anyone finds a low alc beer they like tbh. I don't have them often but sometimes you just crave that taste.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:46 pm Can we simply make it a 'beer' thread then? Seems crazy to have separate threads for low and high alcohol beers 😂
As you wish.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:03 pm I'd be interested in an update if anyone finds a low alc beer they like tbh. I don't have them often but sometimes you just crave that taste.
The Lucky Saints are decent. Have a Mikeller to try tonight, will report back.
---
ZedLeg

Re: Beer Fred

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh, I'd be interested in the Mikeller either way tbh. Was always a fan of their beers, what's it called?
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It is a Mikkeller "non alc wheat ale".
---
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah cool, I never even thought to check Mikeller for low alc tbh. I thought they would've been too small batch to bother with one.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

@ZedLeg it starts out quite hoppy on the palate with some bitterness. That quickly fades, leaving not much flavour behind. It isn't unpleasant, but too bland for my liking. Won't buy again.

Almost feel like a low fizz sparkling water with a faint beer flavour.
Last edited by DeskJockey on Thu May 16, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:03 pm I'd be interested in an update if anyone finds a low alc beer they like tbh. I don't have them often but sometimes you just crave that taste.
Gavster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:04 pm I've spent the last few months trying all the low/no alcohol beers I can find in the main supermarkets and there's been one very, very clear winner, Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPA.

It's the first zero alcohol beer where I've genuinely wanted to plough through the entire pack. Everyone raves about Guinness 0% and that stuff is nice, but it's still boring after one can. The Athletic Brewing IPA is in a different class, it's got none of that sweetness that NA beers often have (such as the Erdinger) and would absolutely pass a blind taste test alongside regular IPAs. Even my dad, who's a die-hard ale drinker thinks it is fantastic.

The only problem is that it's hard to find. Tesco did stock it, however I've not seen any on the shelves in any of my locals for a few weeks. Cases are available from other sellers online, however they come in at nearly double what it costs in Tesco. If you see it at the £5 per 4 pack, grab me a slab.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /312848087
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:21 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:46 pm Can we simply make it a 'beer' thread then? Seems crazy to have separate threads for low and high alcohol beers 😂
As you wish.
Thanks boss 👊
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve moved onto Neck Oil for the summer.. light enough and not too strong. £6.70 in my local, so saving 30p per pint compared to my previous favourite Guinness, so every 23rd is free! 😃
Cheers,

Ian