Food Fred

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Food Fred

Post by IanF »

Sorry for stealing a field that @gavster is eminently more qualified for, but we need a restaurant recommendation list in here.

I went to Kioku by Endo last week in Raffles.. loved driving my rental Golf in and having it valet parked, but I’m weird so.. back to the food. Service, views, food, 70 sakes with sommelier.. was a great evening and you can see the windows of 10 & 11 Downing St so lots of ideas about what to do to Sunak (and Starmer tbf). Highly recommend it
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Re: Food Fred

Post by ZedLeg »

I made bread last night. I’m officially as civilised as neolithic man.
IMG_1020.jpeg
IMG_1020.jpeg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 341 times
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Can someone more aware about food tell me why everyone online is acting like seed oils are now this evil thing which will kill us all?
Another conspiracy theory or is there more to it?
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Maybe Gavin will agree to eat nothing but seed oils for 3 months to see if he dies???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mostly conspiracy, there's a grain of truth to it but the risks are massively overblown and if you eat relatively healthily you probably won't have any issues.
An absolute unit
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 am I made bread last night. I’m officially as civilised as neolithic man.

IMG_1020.jpeg
They look very good! Had awesome flatbread with aubergine hummus at Double Red Duke today..

Any tips on how to make a good flatbread?
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

IanF wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm Double Red Duke.
One of our families' favourties. My 8 year old demands we go for breakfast each time we're up in Oxford :lol:

Kioku sounds good.

We recently went for the Beijing roast duck at Imperial Treasure - would recommend but need to try Min Jiang as well at some point.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:16 pm Can someone more aware about food tell me why everyone online is acting like seed oils are now this evil thing which will kill us all?
Another conspiracy theory or is there more to it?
Generally speaking, anyone who is pointing at a single ingredient and shouting "IT'S KILLING US!!!" is talking out of their butt and has a $99/month course they're selling to overweight and/or unhealthy people who think they'll turn into Brock Lesnar or Ariana Grande if someone shows them how to stop using vegetable oil.

Fortunately, the minutaie of nutrition and health reserach is outside of my scope and frankly, I'm glad it is, becuase arguing over nutrition is a rather hellish and dark side of the internet. I usually refer to Dr Idz for answers to these questions. He is a real NHS doctor, who unusually for a doctor has an additional masters in nutrition research too, so knows his stuff about food and its effect on our body.

Last edited by Gavster on Thu May 16, 2024 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:23 pm Maybe Gavin will agree to eat nothing but seed oils for 3 months to see if he dies???
:shock: :cry: :lol:

It's weird how on these diet challenges that loads of people basically want me to do whatever diet is going to make me suffer the most :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Phew, I shall continue consuming food fried in sunflower oil without feeling bad :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

GG. wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:40 pm
IanF wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm Double Red Duke.
One of our families' favourties. My 8 year old demands we go for breakfast each time we're up in Oxford :lol:

Kioku sounds good.

We recently went for the Beijing roast duck at Imperial Treasure - would recommend but need to try Min Jiang as well at some point.
Good lad! Had a dirty burger that dealt with my hangover remarkably well..

I went to RH England to look at some furniture.. well worth a visit if you’re going to be moving to that area. Only furniture shop I’ve been to with valet parking! 😂 They have a lovely outdoors pizza area and proper menu in the Orangery, plus a juice bar. Not my pic..
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg (31.66 KiB) Viewed 260 times
https://rh.com/gb/en/england
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I made a lacto fermented chilli sauce the other day. Interesting, I will try it again.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

IanF wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 am I made bread last night. I’m officially as civilised as neolithic man.

IMG_1020.jpeg
They look very good! Had awesome flatbread with aubergine hummus at Double Red Duke today..

Any tips on how to make a good flatbread?
Honestly, my first attempt at any type of bread so I’m still figuring it out myself.

I started with this recipe and played it by ear

https://domesticgothess.com/blog/2020/0 ... latbreads/

If you’re not avoiding dairy, most recipes suggest melted butter/ghee or yoghurt for the fat rather than the dreaded seed oil :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m not sure of the long term affects of seed oils but if we cook in them I get joint pain after a couple of days. It doesn’t happen with tallow and animal fats but that could be a personal response. Also zero bloating even when eating silly amounts of meat.

Removing all grains, wheat and “healthy” breakfasts from my kids diet has had a noticeable affect on 1 of my kids at school as before he was a whirlwind of hyper energy.

A lot is probably down to all the added crap that’s put in all food so home cooking in any way is probably far healthier.

Dave!
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm I made a lacto fermented chilli sauce the other day. Interesting, I will try it again.
I'm always meaning to do more fermentation, was it an easy recipe?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

My partner makes Kimchi, it seems like a doddle tbh. Just prep the veg and leave it in a kilner jar to do it's thing.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:36 am My partner makes Kimchi, it seems like a doddle tbh. Just prep the veg and leave it in a kilner jar to do it's thing.
We've 2 large Kilner jars sat doing nowt for some time and I keep meaning to do some Kimchi as we always end up with too much cabbage from the veg boxes. Still not got round to it though :lol:

Duncs - I'd be interested to see that recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Homemade Kimchi is the best. I have a problem with slimy food so the jarred ones can be hit or miss, but we can never wait more than a day or two to start digging into ours so it's still crunchy :lol:
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It's addictive stuff. The Mr. Kimchi we've had a few times and tbh I'm surprised I haven't yet had it for breakfast!

On the breakfast thing - I've hugely cut down my cereal intake and tend now to only have shredded wheat on mornings where I'm heading into the office. I've switched to having Greek yoghurt (10% fat obvs) with some fruit and honey on (local 'cos I don't want any of that sugar syrup crap). It's something I started with out in Sweden last year and have stuck with ever since. Have also mostly cut out commercial bread, and if I do have anything I'll seek out those that don't have oils in the ingredients because there's simply no need for that shite.

Have to say I feel so much more active in the mornings as a result, and it keeps me fuller for longer. Has hugely reduced the instances of me suffering with indigestion as well (a family trait).
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri May 17, 2024 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.