The Wine Thread

DeskJockey

The Wine Thread

Post by DeskJockey »

I also started the beer thread. Don't judge me.

@Explosive Newt: as requested.

I'll update with what we bought when I get a chance to open the cases.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Re: The Wine Thread

Post by Sundayjumper »

I like the type from the Co-op that comes in a 3 litre box.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.cambridgewine.com/shop/prod ... rance.html
Lampyres Dens Sens
I got a box of this after trying a bottle from the local place and it's lush. Blend of different grenaches and you get fruity apricot / gooseberry stuff with a rich finish. Right up my street. Also it has two ladybirds going at it on the label so you can amuse your guests and delight your friends.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:57 pm I like the type from the Co-op that comes in a 3 litre box.
A man after my own heart, my favoured tipple was the most £5 bottle of white or red depending on my mood.
An absolute unit
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

This Perrin and Fils Grenache / Syrah came out of the cellar the other day and it's a banger. Dark fruit with a bit of floral complexity, from reading the reviews it has aged well and is probably doing better than a few years ago.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 21.54.39_2ceb7aef.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 21.54.39_2ceb7aef.jpg (284.02 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Last edited by Explosive Newt on Wed May 15, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:57 pm I like the type from the Co-op that comes in a 3 litre box.
https://www.coop.co.uk/products/co-op-f ... -box-3-ltr

A lovely South African chardonnay too, very nice. The web page says 30L which certainly should see you through to the weekend.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I joined the Sunday Times Wine club few years back and it's been pretty faultless. There were a few I didn't like in the early days but they refunded the cost of the second bottle (each case is 2x6 bottles). I now only get what I like as part of my subscription and order a few extra cases over the year for various events.

I've "discovered" wines I'd never try but really like - like Portuguese and Bulgarian Reds and also New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon whites. I haven/t bought a bottle of wine in a retail setting in over 2 years (and we'd have at least 1 bottle per week)

Highlights have been:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:18 pm

A lovely South African chardonnay too, very nice. The web page says 30L which certainly should see you through to the weekend.
I think I tried that and didn’t like it - I suspect “blend” in reality means “dregs”.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

dinny_g wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 pm I joined the Sunday Times Wine club few years back and it's been pretty faultless. There were a few I didn't like in the early days but they refunded the cost of the second bottle (each case is 2x6 bottles). I now only get what I like as part of my subscription and order a few extra cases over the year for various events.

I've "discovered" wines I'd never try but really like - like Portuguese and Bulgarian Reds and also New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon whites. I haven/t bought a bottle of wine in a retail setting in over 2 years (and we'd have at least 1 bottle per week)

Highlights have been:
Reading the description, that is right up my street. I'll give it a go.

I think people tend to settle on a trusted supplier after too much choice in the shops and you eventually realise what you'll like and what you won't. There's a great wine shop round the corner from me that does tastings every other Friday that has supplied me well.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:35 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:18 pm

I think I tried that and didn’t like it - I suspect “blend” in reality means “dregs”.
A discerning palate
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My other half has Migraine and just about every type of Alcohol, up to and including alcohol in deodorant sprays, gives her an attack. But she can happily drink Hole and the Clouds without issue - well a glass or two.

Split Rock is another very nice Marlborough Sauvignon
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve had a few nice Pouilly Fumees recently. I tend not to drink wine as much these days though; if it’s nice it slips down far too easily and a bottle is gone in no time. If it’s not nice why are you drinking it. But with food (other than curry) it’s usually the right thing to have.

On that note, does anyone have a recommendation for wines to drink with Cocoa Pops?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've unpacked 28 bottles of wine, two bottles of French cidre, and 18 beers :shock:

That'll last us quite a while.
---
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:21 pm On that note, does anyone have a recommendation for wines to drink with Cocoa Pops?
I think milk is more traditional with cocoa pops!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The only repeat from earlier is a Famille Bougrier Sauvignon Blanc that is lovely and easy to drink.
---
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:21 pm On that note, does anyone have a recommendation for wines to drink with Cocoa Pops?
You probably want a dessert wine that isn’t too fruity like a muscat.

Possibly a sherry.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:23 pm
Back in student days, one occasion after a big night, and probably still drunk, I decided to have beer on my cornflakes. Not nice. I do not recommend it.
mik

Post by mik »

Handy bottle size n everyfing.

/predictableresponse

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I used to be fiend for buckfast tbh.

I used to neck a bottle of it before I went out.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:39 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:23 pm
Back in student days, one occasion after a big night, and probably still drunk, I decided to have beer on my cornflakes. Not nice. I do not recommend it.
I wish I could express my outrage but I've done that too... :lol: