It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

mik

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by mik »

Interesting - I thought the 1.5m requirement was spacing between bike and vehicle.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Perhaps a new element should be added to the driving test - being able to accurately gauge 1.5 metre from the centre of a bicycle to a car’s door handle (or is it the tip of the wing mirror?) to within 1cm.
Frankly fucking laughable really.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

WTAF is the point of that information?!
Cheers,

Mike.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Ascender wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm WTAF is the point of that information?!
Clicks.
And it's not even informative.
It's an overly generalised statement based on an extremely small, biased selection is utter FUD.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany

Post by Beany »

I mean, the correct response to that was clearly to pick up one of the hundreds of cones, and wang it right into his face repeatedly, pointy end first.

Can't drive like a cunt if you've got no eyes.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ballsy move riding in front of and goading a scaffolder/scaffold truck. From the scaffolders I've known that could have easily ended differently. They're not usually the calm, measured type.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

What Rich said. Everything he accused the scaffolder of being (murderer etc) I’d assume he’s perfectly capable of in cold blood.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

When someone does a genuinely close and dangerous pass like that scaffold lorry, it kicks off a massive surge of adrenalin, as neatly demonstrated by the cyclist there :lol: anyone fronting up to a bunch of scaffolders definitely isn't thinking straight :shock:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gavster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 am When someone does a genuinely close and dangerous pass like that scaffold lorry, it kicks off a massive surge of adrenalin, as neatly demonstrated by the cyclist there :lol: anyone fronting up to a bunch of scaffolders definitely isn't thinking straight :shock:
Do you think cyclists would get so pumped if they rode sit up and beg type bikes? The aggro seems to be such a British problem. I mean I'm sure it happens elsewhere to some degree, but by and large in most places I've been cyclists and other road users happily mix.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:12 am Do you think cyclists would get so pumped if they rode sit up and beg type bikes? The aggro seems to be such a British problem. I mean I'm sure it happens elsewhere to some degree, but by and large in most places I've been cyclists and other road users happily mix.
Not specifically about aggro, but I didn't ride my road bike much because the riding position almost forces you to ride it hard. So you might be right.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:12 am
Gavster wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:54 am When someone does a genuinely close and dangerous pass like that scaffold lorry, it kicks off a massive surge of adrenalin, as neatly demonstrated by the cyclist there :lol: anyone fronting up to a bunch of scaffolders definitely isn't thinking straight :shock:
Do you think cyclists would get so pumped if they rode sit up and beg type bikes? The aggro seems to be such a British problem. I mean I'm sure it happens elsewhere to some degree, but by and large in most places I've been cyclists and other road users happily mix.
FWIW I ride slow as fuck. If I'm going into town I don't want to turn up sweaty so ride super slow and still get pissesd when someone does a close pass.

It's just when something feels dangerously close that it kicks off a natural adrenaline/coritsol response. Drivers in European countires are far more respectful, Denmark has very strict rules about protecting cyclists, you'll get shouted at by someone on a sit up and beg bike if you so much as walk onto a cycle lane. It's very noticeable in France and other european countries that drivers will go all the way across the centre line of the road to pass, which is far more rare in UK.
Last edited by Gavster on Wed May 15, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:47 am
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:12 am Do you think cyclists would get so pumped if they rode sit up and beg type bikes? The aggro seems to be such a British problem. I mean I'm sure it happens elsewhere to some degree, but by and large in most places I've been cyclists and other road users happily mix.
Not specifically about aggro, but I didn't ride my road bike much because the riding position almost forces you to ride it hard. So you might be right.
That's total BS Jobbo, you can ride any bike at any speed. It seems to be a uniquely male perspective that they "can't ride slowly" :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

People in the UK seem predisposed to find the most stressful way to do anything tbh.

Like, the roads in a lot of Europe are chaotic but most seem to shrug it off. People here treat the commute like going to war.
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:39 pm People in the UK seem predisposed to find the most stressful way to do anything tbh.

Like, the roads in a lot of Europe are chaotic but most seem to shrug it off. People here treat the commute like going to war.
Are you saying that Italians just shrug stuff off? :lol: I'd imagine they're going even more mental than Londoners :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They shout and swear in that Italian way, but they don't seem to stew and threaten violence in the same way as you get here :lol:
An absolute unit
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Someone has never watched Godfather! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Gavster