It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

mik

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by mik »

UK entry.

Beany

Post by Beany »

The parking of that golf at the end is just *chefs kiss*. How did it get there? Why is it there? Did they literally just drive up the pavement/footpath that's barely wide enough?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

*NSFW language warning*

According to the comments one of the cyclists is an off duty police officer, and the driver got charged and fined for this.

This exact situation, riding on a road when there’s a cycle lane is probably what drives car drivers into hating all cyclists
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol: (apart from getting nicked :( ).
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That is impressive, also it wouldn't take a very big pothole to absolutely launch them into the afterlife!
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

And the middle lane on an otherwise empty road 😭
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:09 pm That is impressive, also it wouldn't take a very big pothole to absolutely launch them into the afterlife!
Exactly what I was thinking - even an expansion joint is a massive hazard with those tiny wheels. I get a bit worried at 40+mph on my bike with disk brakes and 29" wheels :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:41 am And the middle lane on an otherwise empty road 😭
He's probably too nervous about changing lanes as I'm guessing going over some painted lines could result in a life changing incident.

I've seen a couple of people on these round here on fast A roads, doing 40mph or so. Is this a legal thing now?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gavster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:41 am And the middle lane on an otherwise empty road 😭
I'm guessing the left lane is pot holed'd to fuck
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:09 pm That is impressive, also it wouldn't take a very big pothole to absolutely launch them into the afterlife!
Exactly what I was thinking - even an expansion joint is a massive hazard with those tiny wheels. I get a bit worried at 40+mph on my bike with disk brakes and 29" wheels :lol:
I'd love to see you doing 40+mph! You'd be doing 120+rpm and you'd need a steep long smooth hill to crank it up that high too! Big e-bikes aren't easy to get up to that sort of speeds with off-road tyres, especially if they're still restricted.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 am
I'd love to see you doing 40+mph! You'd be doing 120+rpm and you'd need a steep long smooth hill to crank it up that high too! Big e-bikes aren't easy to get up to that sort of speeds with off-road tyres, especially if they're still restricted.
I've done 45mph downhill in the Cotswolds a few times - on tarmac. Gravity does the job; pedalling past about 35mph would be too fast for my legs to spin :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:47 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 am

I've done 45mph downhill in the Cotswolds a few times - on tarmac. Gravity does the job; pedalling past about 35mph would be too fast for my legs to spin :lol:
yeah, they just aren't geared that high with a single ring up front - 45 is going to be pretty hairy!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Absolutely it was - I regularly hit 40 and it's fairly scary; it was pretty scary going above 30mph on my old bike but the fat tyres and suspension of the eMTB make it much more planted. Fuck knows what 60 is like on an e-Scooter.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 am
He's probably too nervous about changing lanes as I'm guessing going over some painted lines could result in a life changing incident.

I've seen a couple of people on these round here on fast A roads, doing 40mph or so. Is this a legal thing now?
No. But as always, the coppers are too busy standing around point speed cameras at motorists on out of town roads, raiding the homes of those who post a mildly offensive tweet or arresting people at a vigil for the victim of a policeman-murderer than deal with these absolute weapons.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

About 10 years ago I used to go all around London and commute to university with an E longboard. That was dicey as it had regular longboard wheels but I must have saved its price many times over by never needing public transport. I keep thinking about a One Wheel which is the natural successor and it uses a go kart tyre which should be safer. However everyone who rides one eventually ends up with many broken bones and I feel like I’m too old for the hassle of getting many broken bones.
Also not sure how the Police would view it in 2024 vs 10 years ago when these things were so rare no one cared.
How about not having a sig at all?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I use electric scooters regularly. I think they’re limited to 12.5mph. 20mph would be nice, 60mph… big bowl of fuck that!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:59 am Absolutely it was - I regularly hit 40 and it's fairly scary; it was pretty scary going above 30mph on my old bike but the fat tyres and suspension of the eMTB make it much more planted. Fuck knows what 60 is like on an e-Scooter.
Your feet must be clipped in and pulling on the up stroke to do that 😁
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

#BikeNonce Is trending on twitter. Wonder what that is? Click on it and it’s a hashtag to slate Jeremy Vine
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:37 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:59 am Absolutely it was - I regularly hit 40 and it's fairly scary; it was pretty scary going above 30mph on my old bike but the fat tyres and suspension of the eMTB make it much more planted. Fuck knows what 60 is like on an e-Scooter.
Your feet must be clipped in and pulling on the up stroke to do that 😁
If I were pedalling, maybe - but I hate clipless so not a chance :lol:

Where I specifically remember doing silly speed was down the lane to Hailes Abbey, here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vixq6Twgxi4U7FubA

On the OS map the downhill stretch immediately visible has a steep hill arrow and the downhill stretch with open visibility is the best part of a mile long.
Last edited by Jobbo on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.