VAG options (dead)

Simon

VAG options (dead)

Post by Simon »

So, this started with Lexus when they launched the LS400. There was only ever one 'spec' and very few options. Then Mercedes started giving us Premium and Premium Plus specifications. Useful on the second had market because you'll know a subset of options that a car will or won't have based on the 'standard', 'Premium' or 'Premium Plus' spec. It's easier to get better value selling a second hand car too, as the guides will list P and PP separately rather than trying to justify in an ad that your C Class is worth a grand more because it's got the Nav and Pano roof.

Now it seems that VAG are moving to a point where you just pick a car, engine, colour and 'trim'. Looking at the Seat configurator it's already happened. Just for 'fun' I tried to configure an Ibiza. You can choose the engine, colour, and whether you want 'SE, FR or 'XCELLENCE' spec. No other choices at all. Apparently VAG and Skoda are moving to this same model too.

Great for the second hand car buyer, knowing exactly what he'll get when he buys a 2018 Ibiza FR. Terrible if you want, say, adaptive cruise and have to jump up to the top spec and pay a couple of £k more to get it (along with loads of other options you didn't want).

Apparently driven by WLTP and the need to test cars with individual options (as weight etc affects fuel economy), so the thousands of option combinations available bring a testing headache...

Wonder if it'll catch on with other manufacturers.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: VAG options (dead)

Post by Jobbo »

I spotted this recently. It strikes me that it allows plenty of inventory to be built - somewhere like China with a long shipping time - and kept in stock in the UK or wherever rather than building to order just because you want electric lumbar support to be on your driver's seat.

Lexus did offer the LS400 in Dynamic Handling Pack trim too, you know.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 am I spotted this recently. It strikes me that it allows plenty of inventory to be built - somewhere like China with a long shipping time - and kept in stock in the UK or wherever rather than building to order just because you want electric lumbar support to be on your driver's seat.

Lexus did offer the LS400 in Dynamic Handling Pack trim too, you know.
True, but that just about the only thing, other than colour that you could choose IIRC.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Helps with leasing too, monthly costs end up pretty huge if you have to add in a load of basic options - and you don’t end up with a load of poverty spec cars in the market when their lease period ends.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You and your recent lease love :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes it assists with GFV and BIK, but keeps desirable models from ever becoming bargains on the 2nd hand market.
scotta

Post by scotta »

interesting..BMW will have a ball ache on this one.

I wonder if they can get round it by making options dealer fit?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Christ, I hope not. The dealers often have trouble changing the oil or a clutch cable. I don't want them messing round with a brand new car!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 am I spotted this recently. It strikes me that it allows plenty of inventory to be built - somewhere like China with a long shipping time - and kept in stock in the UK or wherever rather than building to order just because you want electric lumbar support to be on your driver's seat.
Isn't that what most manufactures do anyway - Fiat, Alfa, VW and Mercedes do anyway - stored at places like Portbury until consigned ? (All right hand drive Golf's are made in Port Elizabeth for example)

Fiat's split was approximately 75% "Stock" vehicles and 25% "Build to Order" a few years ago when I did a Wholesale project for them...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…