Your fleet running reports

John

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by John »

It won't be worth much, everyone wants electric now ;) :lol:
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

jamcg wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:01 am Looks lovely. I’d love it, but have no way of affording it, want to swap for a tiny shonky Renault? :lol:
Of course!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

John wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:03 am It won't be worth much, everyone wants electric now ;) :lol:
It’s actually pretty difficult to price as Defender values are all over the place.
I’m m
Going to tidy a couple of bits up and put it in auction.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Today is mostly failing here. There’s a spacer missing from the lower gearbox mount (why oh why oh why do people put stuff back together with bits missing ???) so I need to order one of those, then pressing the new bush into place my vice broke :cry:

So as a minimum I need a new vice, and I probably ought to invest in a hydraulic press too.

IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg (94.68 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

On the bright side, this set up an obvious joke, where my wife asked if any of my friends could help, if they have vices :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:53 am On the bright side, this set up an obvious joke, where my wife asked if any of my friends could help, if they have vices :lol:
😂 you only had one vice to be fair. Though breaking that one has led to the opportunity to have several in the future.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:41 pm you only had one vice to be fair.
Not true ! I have another, secret vice. I keep it hidden. My wife doesn’t know about it.

And true story - I got it from Gavster.

IMG_2272.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpeg (89.99 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Moving onto the main gearbox mount. A lot more work to get at it, and when I got there…. ooh. The central bit fell straight out and the remainder was in very very bad shape. A good amount of cutting & hitting and it’s out. I’ve now had enough for today.

New bush is in the freezer overnight, let’s see if I CBA to carry on tomorrow.

IMG_2274.jpeg
IMG_2274.jpeg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
IMG_2278.jpeg
IMG_2278.jpeg (115.37 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:53 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:41 pm you only had one vice to be fair.
Not true ! I have another, secret vice. I keep it hidden. My wife doesn’t know about it.

And true story - I got it from Gavster.

IMG_2272.jpeg
One of the many vices from my uni days, the machine shops were full of them.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Having seen a PHer's posts about crusty rear arches on his E91 I decided today was the day to take a look at mine, even though I feel like crap and it was damp out. I wanted to check the rear wheel bearings anyway as it's developed a hum since I had the PS5s fitted - I wondered if the rear caliper sticking enough to smoke and crackle had maybe cooked the bearing. That seems fine thankfully. Just need to check the front bearings.

n/s rear arch first and yep, crust ahoy Image

Gave it a wire brushing first and thankfully I seem to have caught it early enough that it's still just surface rust and all fairly solid. I recently bought some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 rust converter, some Electrox zinc primer and some Dynax spray wax- all to tackle the tailgate rust that I haven't yet started. So I set to with the Hydrate doing arch, subframe mounting points and the area around the threaded stubs for the arch liners.

o/s not as bad thankfully but the subframe mounting point was slightly worse. So it all got slapped with the Hydrate

I also noticed surface rust around the battery tray area and inside the tube that the fuel filler breather hose passes so slapped some in there.

This exposed area of the subframe mounting points is the bit that concerns me the most. They really are fairly crusty on the surface and have no protection. This is before taking off the liner and cleaning up - you can see how exposed this area is

Hopefully I'll get chance later this week to use the Electrox and wax.

And just a word on the arch liners - fronts are plastic but the rears are a fibrous material like felt. Seems absurd as even without a build up of crud, they get sopping wet and sit against the metal. Even now 6hrs later after a good scrubbing they're still.pissed wet through in the garage. Plastic would at least allow some crud to wash out and would allow it to dry out quicker. Seems bizarre to me.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The felt material is for noise. I replaced the rears on the ML about 5 years ago as repeated jet washes had removed the fuzz. When I fitted new ones it was like someone had added loads of sound deadening, especially in the rain.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I think that rainwater drops off it rather than bouncing off like on plastic so it helps with spray too
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Desoldered the incandescent gear indicator lights (the 'D' bulb had blown) and replaced them with LEDS. Tested them via the connector and they all work perfectly. I also cleaned up the 3 edge connectors and the mounting for the fuel gauge. Cluster is back together now and I'll put it back in the car this lunchtime. Need to get it washed and prepped ready for the 928.org 25th anniversary meet on Saturday there'll be over 40 928s there.

If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:11 am The felt material is for noise. I replaced the rears on the ML about 5 years ago as repeated jet washes had removed the fuzz. When I fitted new ones it was like someone had added loads of sound deadening, especially in the rain.

Dave!
I can't believe it makes that much difference! :lol: And if that's the case why wouldn't you go with felt backed plastic, thereby preventing the water from soaking through? Not sure what your ML ones are like but these are 100% felt inside and out.

I'm hoping for some sun in the next few days so I can put them out to dry out - they were still sopping this morning
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It honestly did in the ML, I think it was about £85 each side from memory.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

I suspect @RobYob might have some insights to this discussion.....
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:09 am
V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:11 am The felt material is for noise. I replaced the rears on the ML about 5 years ago as repeated jet washes had removed the fuzz. When I fitted new ones it was like someone had added loads of sound deadening, especially in the rain.

Dave!
I can't believe it makes that much difference! :lol: And if that's the case why wouldn't you go with felt backed plastic, thereby preventing the water from soaking through? Not sure what your ML ones are like but these are 100% felt inside and out.

I'm hoping for some sun in the next few days so I can put them out to dry out - they were still sopping this morning
Yeah, I agree. My 650i had thick plastic inner arch liners front and rear - none of the body could be seen, so they were doing a very good job of ensuring no road crud sat against the important bits. I never heard any spray when driving in the rain.

It also made cleaning in there very easy, as nothing really stuck. I hate these carpet type things inside the arches; they hold all the gunk and stay soaking wet for ages.

The Mustang has no rear inner arch liner, so driving in the wet sounds like someone is taking a shower behind you :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

See also some car under tray sections which are made from compressed fabric/cardboard. Who thought that was a good idea?!
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:57 pm See also some car under tray sections which are made from compressed fabric/cardboard. Who thought that was a good idea?!
They probably live in Spain :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:57 pm See also some car under tray sections which are made from compressed fabric/cardboard. Who thought that was a good idea?!
If it outlasts the warranty and it's half the cost of plastic, then probably the accountants....