Your fleet running reports

GG.

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:29 pm
GG. wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:52 pm
mik wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:36 pm

I don't think they can decline warranty shizzle if its been looked after by someone else (preferably a reputable indie, and you need to be able to demonstrate they've used OEM parts).
I think that's overriding legislation/EU regulations that potentially apply only for OEM warranty from factory. For extended warranties my understanding is that it depends on the T's and C's as essentially an insurance product.
Interesting - hadn't realised that.
Having looked into it further it gets more complicated!

https://competition-policy.ec.europa.eu ... tor_en.pdf

The override you're mentioning is covered by the EU Block Exemption Rules which deal with anti-competitive behaviour by tieing the warranty to servicing at a dealer. Intrestingly, the above Q&A document above notes that if it is an extended warranty that wouldn't necessarily make a difference, however, it also seems to state that one bought seperately to the purchase of the car (e.g. where you bought it then took it to Porsche for a check and extended warranty to be added after the fact (essentially what I did with the Range Rover)), then this override may not then apply. In my instance where the warranty is bundled with the car purchase, although separately itemised on the bill), then maybe you'd get away with it.

Thing is it doesn't invalidate mileage and servicing schedules/recommendations so you can be sure if anything was done even slightly not to manufacturer spec (e.g. my 997 was always run on slightly thicker viscocity oil given the car was getting older and had puffs of smoke occasionally on startup (TADTS)) and they got wind of that, then you can guarantee they'd look to invalidate.

NB: Also doesn't look to apply to leases. So no get out for anything on PCP...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I reckon you’ll be up shit creek without a paddle if you used an independent garage to service your car then went to a main dealer with a warranty concern.
A lot of the time the main dealer will build a case for you and submit it to the manufacturer/warranty company to help move things along, I can’t see them doing anything apart from the bare minimum if you use someone else. Also so many get out clauses that they can use.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes agree - I'm sure if they'd wanted to they could have wriggled out of replacing the illuminated sills as apparently they are a regular failure point and people in the US have had to really push to get them replaced whereas PCG have just taken care of it no questions asked (which is fair given how recently I bought the car from them).
Last edited by GG. on Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Never had any issues doing it with our BMWs. But I could well imagine Porsche being different.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Skoda is in for its service and MOT, it basically seems to have disintegrated over the last year. New front shocks, new ARB droplinks, new CV boots and offending heatshield (which I believe damaged them). Tyres and brakes are on the way out but will get through an MOT, so I've told Skoda to leave them and I'll sort them.

The shocks are particularly irritating for a 2018 car.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

So now things are not going so smoothly. I bought a new thermostat last week. I took the car to work yesterday and a steady cruise down the M3 highlighted that the old one was definitely borked. Turning the heater from min to max made near enough no different whatsoever. Yesterday evening, out with the tools :-)

Engine access hatch:

IMG_1728.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 729 times

Old thermostat out. You can see daylight through it when is supposed to be closed !!

IMG_1739.jpeg
IMG_1739.jpeg (153.06 KiB) Viewed 729 times

Then is started to go wrong. One of the bolts securing the thermostat housing was reluctant to go back in. I persevered and used more force than should be needed, it didn’t feel cross threaded, I know what cross threaded feels like ! But about halfway down I decided enough and backed it right out to have another look. It has party pulled the insert out:

IMG_1746.jpeg
IMG_1746.jpeg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 729 times

Arse arse arse arse.

These cars are actually pretty well engineered. Other cars I’ve had, this would simply be a thread in to the aluminium. Here there are factory fitted helicoils. So I think a bit of galvanic corrosion has squeezed everything and it just happened to grip the bolt more than the housing. Still, arse.

There’s no space to work on it in situ so I’m going to have to pull the whole assembly out.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Went to renew the tax on the 928 and was told the MOT expired just over a week ago. :oops: . I'll do a pre-MOT check on it at lunchtime and get it booked in. Insurance is due next month. Ran some quotes through and best quote I got was a smidge over £200.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
John

Post by John »

Black Circles finally supplied a set of tyres at the third attempt, not sure who was to blame (not the local fitting centre) but it was a pain in the arse as they were very slow to tell me the fitting was cancelled.
John

Post by John »

Insurance renewal on the mx5 has arrived and has gone from £190 to £247 with exhaust and suspension mods declared. I can’t find it for much less so will stick with LV.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:45 am
Arse arse arse arse.

There’s no space to work on it in situ so I’m going to have to pull the whole assembly out.
I told you not to break it ahead of the meet!! :roll:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:05 pm
Arse arse arse arse.

Isn't it your only insured/drivaeable car :!:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Carlos wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:25 pm
Arse arse arse arse.

Isn't it your only insured/drivaeable car :!:
No its the only car his brother is insured on.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Arse arse arse arse.

Yeah. This is on my mind now. And I'm away 20th-27th so there's not a whole lot of time left if this turns into a can of worms.
GG.

Post by GG. »

GG. wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:01 pm As long as they remedy the damage it I'm not so bothered about extras on top but you'd think they'd volunteer that as an apology. I've emailed them today to make clear that they need to take all steps necessary to fix it - we'll see where we get to.
So I've been assured by the head of aftersales that they will fix it when it is in for the other sill to be replaced and the tech that worked on the car will not be going near it again.

In all the brouhaha over the interior I never ended up posting pictures with the before and after of the lights (which was the whole point of it going in...). As you can see below, the difference is quite dramatic. Worringly it suggests they are effectively a maintainence items every 8 years or so, which is a bit of a concern given the price...

The beams turn with the wheel which is pretty cool though given the sunrise / set times currently I have had limited chance to use them.

The illuminated sills are also a great feature (though not as good as an illuminated engine bay...) - definitely worth getting them fixed

She also scrubbed up nicely despite the state it was left in...

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is that hazing/micro cracking on the headlights due to UV damage? I’m wondering if a bit of PPF applied over them would prevent them getting damaged again?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its not clear (and I don't think anyone definitively knows) but I agree with you that looks to be the combination of stone chips plus UV damage and general weathering/heat exposure. The top of the surround has discolouration but there are more significant cracks in the actual surface of the plastic material which is why I went down the route of replacement as it was never going to "buff out".

Interestingly there is a specific instruction from Porsche to the partner companies that do their PPF pre-delivery that the headlights are not to be wrapped as removal of the film risks removing the UV layer on the lights and damaging them in the process.

I'm contemplating getting the whole car done but wouldn't be until later in the year / early next year so its something I'll need to consider.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hmm, I can only think that a product such as this can be used in that case:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONAX-0276541 ... B08144X7H2
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm Its not clear....
I know. It's all hazy and cracked ;)

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm (and I don't think anyone definitively knows)
I'm sure the manufacturers know perfectly well, this affects every car with this type of plastic cover, it's not a new problem. 996s are susceptible for example and that's a near enough 30 year old design now. But if they last longer than the warranty..... meh. Not our problem. It's a cost issue.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:34 pm
GG. wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm Its not clear....
I know. It's all hazy and cracked ;)

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm (and I don't think anyone definitively knows)
I'm sure the manufacturers know perfectly well, this affects every car with this type of plastic cover, it's not a new problem. 996s are susceptible for example and that's a near enough 30 year old design now. But if they last longer than the warranty..... meh. Not our problem. It's a cost issue.
Not to the same severity however - the 997 certainly went cloudy which I agree happens to all plastic lenses - the micro-cracking is different and new to the 991/981 generations on (unless you've seen that reported on 6 and 7s as well). Apparently they can get as bad as the below :shock:

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

My mrs’ 2000 mk4 Astra coupe had crazed sun damaged tips of the headlights approx 15 years ago.

No it won’t buff out, but it will sand and polish out, you can see from the shadows in that pic of the really bad one that’s it’s not all the way through the plastic.

I guess the way some lenses are shaped and formed puts more specific stresses on them and makes them more print to cracking / crazing rather than just discolouring.

Still pretty shitty that manufacturers still can’t ( or don’t want to ) make something as basic as a headlight lens which will last a decent amount of time.
Cheers, Harry