Wireless key security?

Barry

Re: Wireless key security?

Post by Barry »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 pm I used to keep my keys in the bedroom but after Exiges C63 experience, I now leave them where they can easily be found
Very much this for me too, keys are downstairs, I want them finding before they feel the need to come and wake me for them.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 pm I used to keep my keys in the bedroom but after Exiges C63 experience, I now leave them where they can easily be found
What have I forgotten?

My memory tells me that he was selling privately, gave the key to the potential purchaser to start the car up, and then they nearly ran him over driving off in it? But that doesn’t really work with your comment above?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:59 pm Skoda Superb, it doesn't open unless I press the button so I suspect the setting have been adjusted to those you are suggesting.

You have a more basic form of keyless by the sound of it, you don’t have keyless entry, so it’s not quite as much of an issue. They wouldn’t be able to use the signal bouncers to steal your car as the keyless go won’t work unless the car is unlocked, and you’ll need the key for that anyway
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:40 am
What have I forgotten?
My recollection was scumbags broke into his house to get the keys. Wife and kids were home etc…

But I may have that wrong to be fair. My memory isn’t what it used to be.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:40 am
What have I forgotten?

My memory tells me that he was selling privately, gave the key to the potential purchaser to start the car up, and then they nearly ran him over driving off in it? But that doesn’t really work with your comment above?
This
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Don't all modern keyless fob switch off when stationary for 30 or 60 secs. My wife lost my keyless fob for the M140i for about 3 months. Turned out it was in the car 😂

Never something I was ever worried about TBH. Better that they don't even come in the house.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

We had 2 defender pouches and a Faraday box ( from the AA or RAC I thnk?) ready and waiting for when we got the Cupra.
It's now just become a habit to lock the car, keys in pouch and then pop the pouch etc into the Faraday box.

Didn't know the pouches will degrade over time so will invest in new one shortly.
Cockwobble
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

McSwede wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:14 pm Don't all modern keyless fob switch off when stationary for 30 or 60 secs. My wife lost my keyless fob for the M140i for about 3 months. Turned out it was in the car 😂

Never something I was ever worried about TBH. Better that they don't even come in the house.
The proximity sensing understands that the key is in the car, so you can leave one in there and lock it with the other and the doors stay locked. I've never tried it, but I assume that if you left the window open and leaned in to get the key, that key will let you unlock and start the vehicle.

On Jags if you just open the boot when the rest of the car is locked and you throw a jacket in there with the key in it, it pops the boot back open when you try and shut it. When I ran the Corvette dealership they didn't...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rather strangely/alarmingly (no pun intended), it looks like if you leave someone in the touring and walk off with the keys, there's no way for that person to get out of the car in the event of an emergency... Even though the car recognises there's someone seated in it 🤔
Cheers,

Mike.