Cycling Thread

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Tour de France 2023

Post by Gavster »

Stage 16...
Spoiler
Pogacar still can't gap Vingegaard, and Vingegaard seems to be biding his time, happy to sit on Pogacar's wheel and chase, rather than going for a break of his own. It's interesting that Vingegaard has matched all of Pogcar's sprints on the climbs and I'd love to say that Vingegaard is holding back and biding his time, waiting for the right moment, however I think the reality is they're both so closely matched that neither has got the legs to make a break for it. I can't imagine they'll get the same time in the TT on Tuesday, so it's bound to shake things up - with Vingegaard having the mental advantage of going last and having a target on the road in front to chase down.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

It's great seeing the different tactics of trying to get a gap, mainly Pogacar trying to spring a gap just to gain a few seconds, then Vingegaard jumping him on the counter or just happy to sit on his wheel and react when he launches. Time trial is short so let's see if it brings a gap between the two of them.

And Wout van Aert is not invincible, so it seems.
Left over crest; tightens.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Who's going to be faster in the TT today? Pogacar or Vingegaard? I reckon Pogacar could take a few seconds out of Vingegaard today.

Tomorrow is the last Alpine stage with a savage 28km long hors categorie climb at the end of the stage with the final 6km at 24%, which could suit Vingegaard better if he can string Pogacar out and pull some time back. This really could go to the wire unless one of them blows up.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Hard to separate them today, but I think Vingegaard might take a few seconds, although the decision on a whether to do a big change before the final climb today might sway that.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

I also think Pogacar's more explosive acceleration might see him gap Vingegaard on the Col de la Loze tomorrow. Will be interesting to see the tactics over the stage and whether Jumbo Visma drive it on and/or try and get someone in the breakaway
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Spoiler
No bike change for Vingegaard and still bossing it by miles?!
Left over crest; tightens.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Time trial spoiler...
Spoiler
That was an absolutely devastating and relentless performance by Vingegaard :shock: He totally destroyed Pogacar.

Commentators mentioned that Vingegaard could have been cautious over the last few days, biding his time, so he's got something in the tank to deliver a death blow to Pogacar today and tomorrow. He definitely did that.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Today might as well be the last stage of the tour as far as GC is concerned. I'm guessing Vingegaard will play it safe and cling onto Pogacar's wheel the whole way. It's not worth trying to get a breakaway unless Pogacar weakens on that final, brutal climb. Maybe Jumbo Visma will take the lead and try to string him out anyway. I wonder if Pogacar is starting to suffer in these latter stages of the tour as a consequence of missing out on training volume earlier this year with his broken wrist. Either way, looks like @Jobbo was correct about Vingegaard playing it cool, he really had put himself in great condition for yesterday.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Yep, he gained more than a few seconds yesterday! Pogacar's all or nothing though, so might attack early, but I think Jumbo Visma have a good enough team to keep that under control.

I think Adam Yates is now too far back after the TT to attack and tempt Vingegaard into chasing.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They think it's all over. I do as well, sadly, since I'm for Pogacar. Vingegaard is undoubtedly a great rider but he reminds me of the T-1000 from Terminator 2 - even looks a bit like him :lol: So I can't warm to him, whereas Pogacar seems human and quite light-hearted at times too.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Agree, I'd rather see Poagcar win it and find him more charismatic. Vingegaard & Jumbo Visma seem to have taken the Froome/Team Sky approach and just tweaked it a bit, whereas Pogacar and UAE seem to go a bit more old school

I think we'll see them go all out today.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Vingegaard has had 4 clean drugs tests in 2 days, the UCI are X-raying bikes to check for motors - all seems real. But some people still think his performance was too good to be true; so was Pogacar's in fact, but Vingegaard going so much faster still does look a little suspicious.
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Spoiler
Could be a big loss for Pogacar here
8Ball

Post by 8Ball »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:36 pm

Vingegaard has had 4 clean drugs tests in 2 days, the UCI are X-raying bikes to check for motors - all seems real. But some people still think his performance was too good to be true; so was Pogacar's in fact, but Vingegaard going so much faster still does look a little suspicious.
I think it's partly due to them seemingly coming from no where, and being so far ahead of the rest.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:08 am They think it's all over. I do as well, sadly, since I'm for Pogacar. Vingegaard is undoubtedly a great rider but he reminds me of the T-1000 from Terminator 2 - even looks a bit like him :lol: So I can't warm to him, whereas Pogacar seems human and quite light-hearted at times too.
Vingegaard has ridden this tour like a terminator... completely relentless and showing almost no signs of weakness :lol:

Pogacar is definitely the more charismatic rider and I reckon he will come back and beat Vingegaard in the future, he's got a lot of years ahead still.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

8Ball wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:52 pm
Spoiler
Could be a big loss for Pogacar here
Spoiler
Pog properly blew up there 💥💥💥 Vingegaard was looking over his shoulder like "really... has he really dropped THAT far back?!?"
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Highlights show final montage soundtracked by the old Rally Report music - Jewelled by Propaganda 8-)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Nice to see Pogacar having a dig from distance. Shame the other guy isn't working :(
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:47 pm Highlights show final montage soundtracked by the old Rally Report music - Jewelled by Propaganda 8-)
Much correctness
Gavster

Re: Cycling Thread

Post by Gavster »

Anyone else watching the Giro?

Pogacar :lol: is like watching an adult race against teenagers. WTF.

I'm curious how it'll play out at the Tour with Vingegaard recovering from injury and Pogacar's early seasons races, as well as the Giro, show he's on stellar form. Could easily be Pog's year for the double

Yesterday's stage highlights for reference in case anyone wants to understand what I'm talking about: