Where are all the...

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Where are all the...

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:02 pm JimCam sounds like a cunt.
I imagine he’ll make a new film based on this. Maybe with Brian doing the Winslet standing on the bow bit.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:48 pm I’m finding it hard to give much of a shit about the situation to be honest.

Rich people spending lots of money doing something very risky in a heath robinson contraption and getting caught out. Meh. Not nice for those left behind, but you pay your money you take your chance.
I'm with you. Compare the level of coverage this received with the hundreds of migrants that drowned in the Med.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:12 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:00 pm But change that purpose to "Life or Death" and it is no longer fit for purpose.
In a humid, salty, corrosive environment. Is the air inside the sub oxygen-enriched ? I don't suppose it's just normal "air". The extra oxygen will make things corrode a lot faster than on land. So although the controller was (probably) not the cause, it's indicative of not taking the whole thing very seriously, and cutting corners *somewhere* led directly to the death of some high net worth individuals.
I assume they'd keep surface pressure and gas mix. If they're running higher pressure you'd definitely not want to increase the oxygen level because it becomes potentially lethally toxic at higher pressures.

When the oxygen partial pressure exceeds 1.4 bar it becomes toxic. If you're breathing pure oxygen that's anything below four metres depth. Standard air mix will reach toxicity at about 57 metres.

If they were running higher pressures they would also have to factor in decompression time for the ascent as even at two bar eight hours of "diving" will mean you'll need quite a lot of time to de-gas to avoid the bends. In theory they could slowly lower the pressure as they come up through the water column, but it would require very careful control and be difficult to manage as people react differently.
---
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

mik wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:11 pm
dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:55 pm People are going to Prison over this one.
'Mercuh, so there will certainly be lawsuits. Guess we'll find out how wat.... I can't say it.... how robust the waiver they signed is/was. It does sound like they were pretty up-front about it's prototype status/design and lack of external-body classification..... and the more than insignificant possibility that they would not return.
From reports of people who have already traveled on this the disclaimer mentions death 3 times on the first page!

The sub was not classed. This means no certification was performed to say it was safe other than someone going “yeah it’ll be alright’. It was made of carbon fibre and apparently showed signs of fatigue after one dive. Every other submarine manufacturer says carbon fibre is not suitable to make a submarine out of………
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:37 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:48 pm I’m finding it hard to give much of a shit about the situation to be honest.

Rich people spending lots of money doing something very risky in a heath robinson contraption and getting caught out. Meh. Not nice for those left behind, but you pay your money you take your chance.
I'm with you. Compare the level of coverage this received with the hundreds of migrants that drowned in the Med.
Pretty much my attitude.

Although I did enjoy this.
Screenshot_2023-06-21_18-30-53.png
Screenshot_2023-06-21_18-30-53.png (106.72 KiB) Viewed 717 times

So they'll be publishing the sub companies staff organisation chart then?

Their previous operational director had an unfair dismissal claim that was settled out of court over him being given the boot for insisting on better safety testing being done.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yeah, was expecting a thread on this all week but didn't start one myself, so thanks.

I didn't realise James Cameron was such an expert with actual experience. I think he generally came across quite well, though the 'charade' part of his message was clearly worded to grab the headlines.

Bit silly there was some kit being loaded in a plane on Jersey, they complained they were held up by red tape, then the next day were delayed because the thing didn't actually fit in the plane and had to be unloaded.
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It looked absolute shit - thrown together from whatever crap the could buy locally. The guy from discovery who were doing a documentary on it refused to go down in it because it was so shoddy. They were openly boasting about how maverick they were about the safety concerns, not surprised they died.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

:shock:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

It never ends.

It's like these clowns played Portal 2, heard the funny ha ha CEO saying things like "it's not about the why, it's about the why not" and never got far enough into the game to learn that that was satire, and he died of a horrible lung disease caused by cheap moon dust.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

unzippy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 pm :shock:

Pressure is dangerous!
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

tim wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:48 pm ...forum submersible experts?
Beany is just a bit further up on page 2 😂

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I wonder if Richard Branson will think twice about his Galactic venture which seems to be almost as poorly cobbled together as this was - although any idiot can go down in a sub whereas the FAA govern airspace.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:54 pm I've got a different opinion on the logitech controller. Having tried to build plenty of product prototypes in my time, using off-the-shelf, well-engineered products that are reliable is a great idea. The amount of R&D it would take Titan to produce a better, more reliable controller makes it quite pointless, especially considering they must have tested the logitech controller in the relevant conditions. And it sounds like the controller had nothing to do with the catastrophic failure (presumably of the hull). Using off-the-shelf, well-engineered parts is a great solution unless you've got a open-chequebook wankfest like Jim Cam
Gavster may have a point.

(this is almost certainly fake, but fuck it, I laughed)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just to not get hung up on the controller thing, that CEO guy said in an interview they carry a few spares on board.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany

Post by Beany »

Welp, that made me snort red wine out my nose.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

🤣
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

It is probably a bit long winded for a Darwin award but a synopsis might get in the list?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

An honourable mention at least
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavin wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:43 am It is probably a bit long winded for a Darwin award but a synopsis might get in the list?
At least one of them will fail the chief criteria though: removing themselves from the gene pool before they've procreated.
---