Your fleet running reports

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Sundayjumper »

A lighter, one-piece, flywheel would probably be more useful than an uprated clutch. You're not dealing with huge power here.

Edit - actually, seeing as the car was built right from the start as a RACE CAR it might be worth pulling it apart to check exactly what's in there before you order new stuff.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ford delivered the wrong coolant bottle for the Galaxy. When indie questioned it they were adamant that it was the right part, until they started looking through the pictures and realised that there seems to be three different versions under the same part number, which seems rather stupid.

New one with the right number of hose connection points should arrive tomorrow.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:15 pm A lighter, one-piece, flywheel would probably be more useful than an uprated clutch. You're not dealing with huge power here.

Edit - actually, seeing as the car was built right from the start as a RACE CAR it might be worth pulling it apart to check exactly what's in there before you order new stuff.
That assumes a level of skill and mechanical common sense you know I don't have :lol:

Flywheel plus a std clutch, I assume you're thinking, given current symptoms?
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

One piece/single mass flywheel means a different clutch kit doesn't it?
What do we think about Black Diamond clutches/flywheels?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am One piece/single mass flywheel means a different clutch kit doesn't it?
Errr.... possibly ? Old fashioned single mass flywheels would be originally used with a spring-loaded clutch plate. Then dual-mass flywheels were invented and used a rigid clutch plate. So the parts-bin approach was to pair a solid flywheel (possibly machined to lose some weight) with the clutch plate from a dual-mass flywheel to get a more direct connection. So it might require a specific combination of bits.

JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am What do we think about Black Diamond clutches/flywheels?
If that's the same Black Diamond that have been doing brakes for donkey's year then I guess they're probably OK. No personal experience though.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Really struggling to find something to swap the XF for.

Quite fancy a few things, maybe a Scirocco, a Paceman, a Clubman, 🤷

Just needs to be smaller, but at least 4 proper seats, don't need 2 big cars and the wife is on her own in it most of the time.

Quite like the new Swift Sports but the boot is too small for the big dog to fit 🙄

I wanted an XK but the boot is too shallow and the rear seats too small, and it's not really any smaller on the outside, width wise anyway.

A V40 might be ideal, but it's hard to find a 5 Cylinder petrol one.

Shame they never made a sprightly version of the Yeti as that would have been ideal in 4x4 guide, maybe a mapped 1.8tsi might be fun.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Had a blast on the bike at the weekend. Amazing that they need very little maintenance and then propel you to warp speed with no drama.

Anyone watching the TT superstocks? You can go buy one of those and go as quickly (potentially).
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:45 am
JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am One piece/single mass flywheel means a different clutch kit doesn't it?
Errr.... possibly ? Old fashioned single mass flywheels would be originally used with a spring-loaded clutch plate. Then dual-mass flywheels were invented and used a rigid clutch plate. So the parts-bin approach was to pair a solid flywheel (possibly machined to lose some weight) with the clutch plate from a dual-mass flywheel to get a more direct connection. So it might require a specific combination of bits.

JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am What do we think about Black Diamond clutches/flywheels?
If that's the same Black Diamond that have been doing brakes for donkey's year then I guess they're probably OK. No personal experience though.
So apparently I already have a tiny single mass flywheel. Who knew? Not I. Also, recommended to avoid a paddle clutch, just get a standard friction plate with an uprated diaphragm.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

16vCento wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 pm Really struggling to find something to swap the XF for.

Just needs to be smaller, but at least 4 proper seats, don't need 2 big cars and the wife is on her own in it most of the time.

Quite like the new Swift Sports but the boot is too small for the big dog to fit 🙄

I wanted an XK but the boot is too shallow and the rear seats too small, and it's not really any smaller on the outside, width wise anyway.

Shame they never made a sprightly version of the Yeti as that would have been ideal in 4x4 guide, maybe a mapped 1.8tsi might be fun.
2.5T MK1 Kuga? Not sure on the price these days or if it's too old. Was thinking the same as a V40 but thought of a V50 instead, which shared the platform of the MK1 Kugas.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'm getting a brand new PHEV Kuga next month so that why I want a smaller car for our second car.

Ideally I'd have a 595 Comp, flawed, technically shite, but fun.

I just think they're a bit too small.

Maybe a i3 is worth a look, but my budget won't get a decent REX one I don't think.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:12 pm Also, recommended to avoid a paddle clutch, just get a standard friction plate with an uprated diaphragm.
That sounds just the ticket 8-)
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

16vCento wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:19 pm I'm getting a brand new PHEV Kuga next month so that why I want a smaller car for our second car.

Ideally I'd have a 595 Comp, flawed, technically shite, but fun.

I just think they're a bit too small.

Maybe a i3 is worth a look, but my budget won't get a decent REX one I don't think.
They're smaller than SUVs of the same class made now but, yeah, not exactly a small car.

Fabia estate vRS? DSG only that model and think there were some issues with the twin-charged unit, but maybe any problems have been resolved at this age, if needed.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Only confirmed casualty so far from the weekend: one front top mount. A couple of years old but has probably done no more than two hundred miles. Enthusiastically.

IMG_0913.jpeg
IMG_0913.jpeg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 623 times

I also extracted the exhaust manifold gaskets; seems pretty clear they’ve been leaking from cylinders 3 & 4. Hopefully that was the cause of the MOT emissions problems.

IMG_0914.jpeg
IMG_0914.jpeg (170.07 KiB) Viewed 623 times
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

16vCento wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 pm Shame they never made a sprightly version of the Yeti as that would have been ideal in 4x4 guide, maybe a mapped 1.8tsi might be fun.
Seem to remember evo rating the 1.8tsi 4x4 yeti at the time it was out, apparently drives very hot hatch like, so while not hugely fast it’s apparently a good steer. Remap should see 200hp ish
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

After an enthusiastic drive back from a KISS concert the exhaust on Treina’s TT decided to split.

We now have this and the inner child has come out in force.

It even does random little exhaust pops on the overrun.

The Peco BB4 lives on in spirit through this.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

16vCento wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:51 pm Really struggling to find something to swap the XF for.

Scirocco rear seats are only good for short journeys if you have anything approaching legs!
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:38 pm
JonMad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:12 pm Also, recommended to avoid a paddle clutch, just get a standard friction plate with an uprated diaphragm.
That sounds just the ticket 8-)
Not sure how or where to go about sourcing that though!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The expansion tank saga continues. Indie took the old one out to take pictures and send them to Ford. They're not the same part number, but so far they've been adamant that it is the only version, which begs the question: what to do with the fourth pipe?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Sounds like an Alfa Romeo but without a Mediterranean chap shrugging at you 😂

My 164 had bits on there that Alfa told me were never fitted to a 164.

More lately my daughters 2015 Mito has the front section exhaust from a <2015 Euro5 spec and a rear section from a 2016> Euro6 spec car. Both look identical in age but mean there is an additional silencer to any Twinair Mito ever made :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The oil pain drain bolt on my Mito is my one opportunity every 2 years to venture to the imperial side of my toolbox.
How about not having a sig at all?