The ongoing X5 saga

scotta

Re: The ongoing X5 saga

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:52 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:38 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:51 am It looks like it's had a set of tyres and when they balanced them they'd left the old weights on (or some other such ineptitude).
BMW (Arnold Clark) re-balanced them to fix the vibration...
You can balance a wheel on the machine 'til the cows come home, but if it's not circular it'll never drive right. You could balance an egg.
Im was meaning from the angle of there's a shitload of weights on there and the "Nah mate they are fine" attitude.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s not so much the amount, especially with such big heavy wheels / tyres. More worrying is how scattered around the wheel they are. Instantly makes it look like whoever balanced them had absolutely no clue what they were doing! Either that or they’re a very odd shape.

I’d like to see them being spun on a balancer.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Scott's wheel balancer after a successful day at work.

scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:40 pm It’s not so much the amount, especially with such big heavy wheels / tyres. More worrying is how scattered around the wheel they are. Instantly makes it look like whoever balanced them had absolutely no clue what they were doing! Either that or they’re a very odd shape.

I’d like to see them being spun on a balancer.
They’ve been balanced about four fucking times. Once by my mate who runs the local garage. Even after he balanced them it made no difference to the vibration.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

What a shambles!! Hope this gets sorted properly by BMW.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The father in laws Lexus had a vibration and I found metal transfer from the alloy wheels to the hub, right on the inside of the spigot which would be chucking the wheel off centre.

That was an IS250 with standard alloys.

If it’s the wheel or hubs etc then they will have the kit to clock the discs, hub face etc.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Bit of progress. BMW have accepted that this is an actual fault and not a characteristic of the vehicle. There's now an argument on Which dealer pays for the repair. Was supposed to have a decision by Friday - Still waiting.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

scotta wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:26 pm Bit of progress. BMW have accepted that this is an actual fault and not a characteristic of the vehicle. There's now an argument on Which dealer pays for the repair. Was supposed to have a decision by Friday - Still waiting.
At least there’s a step in the correct direction
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

What's the repair, sticking a new set of wheels on it? I imagine you'd want them to confirm that by trying another set first to make sure that's all it is before they slap another set and hand it back with something still amiss.
scotta

Post by scotta »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 pm What's the repair, sticking a new set of wheels on it? I imagine you'd want them to confirm that by trying another set first to make sure that's all it is before they slap another set and hand it back with something still amiss.
Arnold Clark supposedly did that. Peter Vardy said they are all fucked. It’s in the hands of bmw now. I’ll be asking the question of what happens if we spend £3500 on new wheels and it’s still the same. Either way I’m fucking sick of it now.

ETA - Peter Vardy have two F15 X5’s in their used stock. I asked if they can swap wheels with one of those cars to check them. Computer says no apparently.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've got an odd sense of deja vu here, I don't know why :? Maybe it's the pish poor way it's being handled, people not caring...and then the follow-up customer satisfaction survey. I hope you manage to get some sort of peace with it.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Seems mental that they’d want to get an expensive set of wheels in over spending an hours labour to swap with a set they already have and confirm it fixes the issue first.
Cheers, Harry
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

The customer / warranty repair service at BMW puts me off ever owning another. Sounds very similar to my 330i experience but I did manage to get 95%+ of my money back.

Skoda on the other hand have been faultless. Ford I never needed to use and I drove it well.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:04 pm Peter Vardy have two F15 X5’s in their used stock. I asked if they can swap wheels with one of those cars to check them. Computer says no apparently.
I just don’t get this. If you had an issue with your gearbox and suggested that they try swapping gearboxes with another car they have in stock - anyone with any car savvy would agree this is silly.

But swapping wheels would be 2 cars on ramps and 40 wheel bolts to prove/disprove wheels as the issue without anyone spending a penny on parts. Wobble (that everyone who drives it now feels) disappears - theory prove .If you want to go really mad - stick the suspect wheels on the other car and see if the wobble follows the wheels.

2 ramps / sets of jacks occupied for 1 hr. One tech occupied for 1 hr.

I must be missing something….. :?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

"computer says no"
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

The only small hassle I had with BMW was on my F10. As part of a regular service they noted that one of the rear springs was corroded, and that it's imperative to replace them in pairs, and gave me a quote to supply & fit two new springs. I pointed them at (their own) warranty and asked them to go ahead.

Ah no sir the warranty will only cover the corroded one.

We had a conversation about how it's VITAL to replace both when the customer is paying, but TOTALLY FINE to only do one if they're paying :roll:

I let them replace the single spring, then bought a full set of Eibachs and fitted them myself :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Just spoken to Peter Vardy. BMW UK have asked them to do a full engineering report on the car. Apparently that’s an hour and a half’s labour. Soo it’s going back in tomorrow for that. As expected no courtesy car is available.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

BMW's diagnostic skills were woeful back when I had a bearing rattle in my E46 M3. They just threw parts at it to the tune of £10k+ most of which wasn't broken including notably a brand new gearbox!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sounds like progress but also, not really progress. Swapping the wheels over would seem to be such an obvious & quick way to eliminate those..
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:48 pm Sounds like progress but also, not really progress. Swapping the wheels over would seem to be such an obvious & quick way to eliminate those..
Yes. Yes. Also yes.