Decent Recent TV

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Ascender »

I finished The Sandman which was excellent. Need to read the books now..

The spy series with Gary Oldman Slow Horses on Apple TV was also very enjoyable. I binged the first series, then made the mistake of starting the second only to find out its being released weekly.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Excellent, Slow horses was good stuff. Finished Wednesday as well, great entertainment for the family, borderline gore/horror for the younger one but the whole thing was done so well he didn't seem too phased.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Fear City: New York vs The Mafia on Netflix

Really good 3 parter about the FBI plan to take down the 5 Godfathers in 70’s and 80’s New York. I knew a bit about the Gambino story Paul Castellano and John Gotti but this covered the others.

It was really brave by all concerned, particularly the tech guys who installed the bugs because, despite the wise guys saying “they were just doing their jobs - there was no hard feelings” I don’t believe a word of it

9 concrete contacts out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched that Bernie Madoff doc on Netflix. Utterly insane that he got away with it for so long off the back of "trust me bro" to anyone who asked.

Good watch though.

Currently watching the Carlos Grohn one that recently appeared too. I feel like I'm probably going to end up at the same conclusion :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

FIFA Uncovered

Even non football fans know how corrupt FIFA is but in truth, when presented together, it really is staggering. This documentary is brilliant because it amazingly includes all the main actors - Sepp Blatter, head of the Qatar WC Nasser Al Khater, Mohammod al bin Hamman and others.

Jack Warner pocketing $10m intended as a sort of Slavery Reparation payment from South Africa was shameful.

But it's the attitude displayed that is breath taking - Just because cash isn't handed in a brown envelope to an induvial, doesn't mean it isn't a bribe and buying the world cup. (although that did happen in a Presidential Election) Qatar sign a $6Bn Gas deal with Thailand - Thailand vote for their World Cup. Qatar signs a multi Billion deal to buy Air Bus planes from France - France Vote for their World Cup. It goes on and on.

Very interesting, even if you're not interested in Football.

8 Brown envelopes presented to delegates by a presidential candidate in order to secure a vote for president out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
tim

Post by tim »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:10 am Watched that Bernie Madoff doc on Netflix. Utterly insane that he got away with it for so long off the back of "trust me bro" to anyone who asked.

Good watch though.

Currently watching the Carlos Grohn one that recently appeared too. I feel like I'm probably going to end up at the same conclusion :lol:
Yeah I've recently watched both of those, good stuff. It staggers me that Madoff got away with it for so long when he wasn't even trading *anything* for most of that scam. Mad.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I must watch those documentaries... maybe this weekend when the weather looks grim and I'll be abandoned again.

After watching The Menu, I carried-out the restaurant theme and watched The Bear on Disney+ which was also very enjoyable. Famous chef brother comes home to run the family diner/sandwich place. Really enjoyed it, would recommend it.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:23 am FIFA Uncovered

Even non football fans know how corrupt FIFA is but in truth, when presented together, it really is staggering. This documentary is brilliant because it amazingly includes all the main actors - Sepp Blatter, head of the Qatar WC Nasser Al Khater, Mohammod al bin Hamman and others.

Jack Warner pocketing $10m intended as a sort of Slavery Reparation payment from South Africa was shameful.

But it's the attitude displayed that is breath taking - Just because cash isn't handed in a brown envelope to an induvial, doesn't mean it isn't a bribe and buying the world cup. (although that did happen in a Presidential Election) Qatar sign a $6Bn Gas deal with Thailand - Thailand vote for their World Cup. Qatar signs a multi Billion deal to buy Air Bus planes from France - France Vote for their World Cup. It goes on and on.

Very interesting, even if you're not interested in Football.

8 Brown envelopes presented to delegates by a presidential candidate in order to secure a vote for president out of 10
I watched the 1st one and was enraged. Had to go sit in a quiet corner for a while 😂
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Watched that when it was on BBC2 before Christmas. Had no idea that we'd had a winter that lasted for so long in Britain. The country seemed to be at a standstill for more than a couple of months. Even my parents were only 3 at the time so even they don't have much of a memory of it though.

For football fans, it was also partly to blame for Brian Clough's playing career ending. Played for Sunderland at the time and was on the end of a bad challenge/unlucky conditions and was his final ever game at 27 years old.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I knew of it, and over the years have seen various bits about it, but mostly just quick clips or stills. I don't think I've ever seen the whole docu. before. I find it very interesting to compare and contrast then and now, even if nothing much seems to have changed for Boscastle :(
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Simpsons

We've been watching on Disney+ as we bumble around the house, currently on S31 and I have some thoughts after having not watched it regularly for years.

It's not actually terrible these days, just not as good as it was. A lot of the writing is very old fashioned and it makes a lot of jokes that would've landed 30 years ago pretty cringey.

I realised while watching that when it started Marge and Homer were boomers and the kids were millennial, now they're millennials and gen alpha but the jokes are still firmly in the boomer humour territory.

Would I recommend that someone binges 30+ seasons of the simpsons. Absolutely not but it still gets the odd chuckle in the background.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 pm Clips from Yellowstone keep cropping up in my Facebook feed.

Is it any good??
Now Paramount+ is bundled with Sky Movies, we started watching.

It really is very good. We’re half way through Season 2.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

The Last of Us is decent - enjoyed the games, and they've adapted this well. Problem is that as I already know the story, it's like watching a program you've seen before, which takes the edge off. Worth a watch regardless of if you've seen it before.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah my partner wants to watch it but I played through both games last year so I don’t know if I can be bothered. I do like who they cast as Ellie and Joel though.
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Matty wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:02 am The Last of Us is decent - enjoyed the games, and they've adapted this well. Problem is that as I already know the story, it's like watching a program you've seen before, which takes the edge off. Worth a watch regardless of if you've seen it before.
I haven't played the games but when I starred watching it it seemed to be a generic zombie thing.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:55 am
Matty wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:02 am The Last of Us is decent - enjoyed the games, and they've adapted this well. Problem is that as I already know the story, it's like watching a program you've seen before, which takes the edge off. Worth a watch regardless of if you've seen it before.
I haven't played the games but when I starred watching it it seemed to be a generic zombie thing.
yeah, I watched the first episode, the build up was quite interesting, then it just morphed into another walking dead/etc.. and I couldn't be bothered with any more.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 am
yeah, I watched the first episode, the build up was quite interesting, then it just morphed into another walking dead/etc.. and I couldn't be bothered with any more.
Exactly that.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 am

Exactly that.
Phew, am glad I'm not the only one who felt like this. I've never played the games, enjoyed the opening to the first episode but then it just seemed to become another generic zombie/infected thing. Meanwhile people are losing their $hit over just how amazing it is and I wondered if I was missing something.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Been watching the new series of Clarkson's Farm which is again excellent. It focuses on how ridiculous the council are and at least gives me a crumb of comfort that everyone deals with this shit.
2 enforcement visits for repairing a 120 year old forestry track so far, another enforcement visit for a log store, yet a new 3000 house town being pushed through. Guess only one of them raises additional council tax eh.
How about not having a sig at all?