Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

DaveE

Re: Twitter

Post by DaveE »

"Start over again" is generally the first solution of someone who thinks the problem(s) they face are big, confusing, and complicated

They (foolishly) think doing it from scratch will be easier than sorting out the current, confusing mess

I think anyone who's ever worked in software has had plenty of these moments, but big, enterprise systems are ALWAYS complicated and messy because they evolve over time

it smacks of Elon being a baby and wanting things to be simple, quick, and easy
Beany

Post by Beany »

It reminds me of fresh in the industry devs who have their chosen language that they understand (say, rails) and they come across a stack in something they're not familiar with (say, Perl) and they think the only way to solve the problem is by rewriting it in what they understand.

I wonder if that's indicative of who's left at twitter who gave Musk this idea :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Beany wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am It reminds me of fresh in the industry devs who have their chosen language that they understand (say, rails) and they come across a stack in something they're not familiar with (say, Perl) and they think the only way to solve the problem is by rewriting it in what they understand.

I wonder if that's indicative of who's left at twitter who gave Musk this idea :lol:
Exactly

If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

DaveE wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:45 am "Start over again" is generally the first solution of someone who thinks the problem(s) they face are big, confusing, and complicated

They (foolishly) think doing it from scratch will be easier than sorting out the current, confusing mess

I think anyone who's ever worked in software has had plenty of these moments, but big, enterprise systems are ALWAYS complicated and messy because they evolve over time

it smacks of Elon being a baby and wanting things to be simple, quick, and easy
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:43 pmbut looking at the way the employees behaved in the past it doesn't surprise me it's a shit show.
how did they behave in the past?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:04 pm
drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:43 pmbut looking at the way the employees behaved in the past it doesn't surprise me it's a shit show.
I assume you don't believe the day in the life tik tok is indicative of the tech industry in California?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:04 pm
I assume you don't believe the day in the life tik tok is indicative of the tech industry in California?
and you think that's completely representative of all of them?
Beany

Post by Beany »

So to be clear, with no actual evidence, you're saying that the entire twitter stack is an undocumented heap of shit being held together with baler twine and hope, and no-one knows how it works.

Wow, be shame if someone sacked most of the experienced engineers without verifying if that's the case and doing a massive documentation run first, wouldn't it?

Also, stop following LibsOfTikTok.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:38 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:04 pm how did they behave in the past?
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The "let's rebuild it all" option is (IMO) fundamentally flawed for two keys reasons:

1) it doesn't benefit customers/users - it just solves the business's own, personal problems

2) you spend a huge amount of time and money to get back to the exact same place (in terms of the product itself) as when you started - and in the meantime, everyone else has advanced, the market has changed, and you have a beautifully designed and built answer to a question no one's asking

As someone above already said, rebuild parts as required (there a new needs, better solutions, no longer scalable etc), but the "rip it up and start again" approach to an entire system isn't going to deliver the benefits people hope for

It'll also be a mess, because these things always are - especially so when you have a CEO who will be pushing, rushing, and forcing people to build things in a compromised way from the off

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Borimg
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:54 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:12 pm
drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:54 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:38 pm and you think that's completely representative of all of them?
Well I actually work in it for a quote progressive company and have been to and worked in other vendors buildings with them and they are just like that so sorry.
To be more detailed we have a fairly free and we easy work environment where you work where you want, have free food in the canteen (not sure how long that will last), cake days, free biscuits and we had a Friday social every week before COVID with a free bar (they used to have to kick people out at 9pm). They drew the line at games rooms and sleep areas but I've been to vendors where they had them, along with beam bag meeting rooms, meditation rooms and masseuses that came in once a week. This environment is not uncommon in the industry.
Do I work like that? No I certainly don't, it's a job not adult daycare. I go into the office usually once a week, sometimes I manage to hit cake day, although I usually hope to avoid it for my own sake, I would occasionally go in on a Friday if someone I knew was in from overseas and I'd stick around for an alcohol free beer and go.
I do find myself having more meetings these days than doing actual work work but as an architect people want the benefit of more than 20 years experience.
so you're living proof that just because some people embrace the benefits and culture a little too much, isn't representative of all the people who work there. Unless you're saying you're lazy and should be fired?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Very bored
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:43 pm
drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:12 pm

To be more detailed we have a fairly free and we easy work environment where you work where you want, have free food in the canteen (not sure how long that will last), cake days, free biscuits and we had a Friday social every week before COVID with a free bar (they used to have to kick people out at 9pm). They drew the line at games rooms and sleep areas but I've been to vendors where they had them, along with beam bag meeting rooms, meditation rooms and masseuses that came in once a week. This environment is not uncommon in the industry.
Do I work like that? No I certainly don't, it's a job not adult daycare. I go into the office usually once a week, sometimes I manage to hit cake day, although I usually hope to avoid it for my own sake, I would occasionally go in on a Friday if someone I knew was in from overseas and I'd stick around for an alcohol free beer and go.
I do find myself having more meetings these days than doing actual work work but as an architect people want the benefit of more than 20 years experience.
so you're living proof that just because some people embrace the benefits and culture a little too much, isn't representative of all the people who work there. Unless you're saying you're lazy and should be fired?
Saying what I've seen remind me how much experience in this industry do you have?
office design & workplace consultancy? Yeah, quite a bit!

You've just told me that your work has similar offerings, but you choose not to work that way, but you've also decided that everyone at Twitter does/did (despite your evidence being a video of people not).
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Bored now
Last edited by drcarlos on Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

The facts are, you could be entirely correct - every single person at Twitter is/was lazy and dossing all day. I suspect that this isn't the case. I suspect they became bloated with all the standard crap companies become bloated with, but that doesn't mean there was no one working hard.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Boring
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Boring
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Boring