Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Twitter

Post by Gavster »

Beany wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:00 pm I don’t believe in dividing people into ‘good’ and ‘bad’ silos, it’s far better to acknowledge the complexity of human existence. Michael Jackson might be an abhorrent child abuser but his music still slaps.
Ok, now try Jimmy Saville.
Yeah, then we can do Hitler too :lol: of course I'm not going to start rating people who have committed abhorrent crimes. I was making a point about complexity of categorisation, rather than inviting a "hot or not" review of convicted kiddy fiddlers.

The whole Tate popularity is a symptom of deeper issues anwyway. He's been talking online for years, however he only catapulted into popularity this year. Andrew Tate's popularity is the result of guys feeling isolated, rejected, or at the extreme, becoming incels in their Goon caves (I learned about that one yesterday. Don't google it, it's very NSFW and :cry: ). The cause of isolated men that are attracted to Tate's message comes from way more innocuous sources, such as online dating's negative effects. If loads of guys weren't feeling dispossessed, then Tate wouldn't have an audience. Banning him had little effect, in fact, when he was uniformly banned from ALL social media platforms, the amount of content about him skyrocketed and he became the most googled person in the world, the ban was the best free marketing for his message. That's why I prefer people like Tate to be visible on social media, because completely banning them gives them even more kudos in their world and cements their community even more.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don’t agree, deplatforming arseholes is effective.

There are plenty of people who have been banned from the main sm platforms and have sunk into obscurity. It’s even happened to Trump to a degree.

You’re never going to completely get rid of shitty people and 9 times out of 10 you aren’t going to change their minds with reasoned discussion. Push them into the margins where the harm they do is minimised.
An absolute unit
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavster wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:46 am
Beany wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm
Gavster wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:00 pm I don’t believe in dividing people into ‘good’ and ‘bad’ silos, it’s far better to acknowledge the complexity of human existence. Michael Jackson might be an abhorrent child abuser but his music still slaps.
Ok, now try Jimmy Saville.
Yeah, then we can do Hitler too :lol: of course I'm not going to start rating people who have committed abhorrent crimes. I was making a point about complexity of categorisation, rather than inviting a "hot or not" review of convicted kiddy fiddlers.

The whole Tate popularity is a symptom of deeper issues anwyway. He's been talking online for years, however he only catapulted into popularity this year. Andrew Tate's popularity is the result of guys feeling isolated, rejected, or at the extreme, becoming incels in their Goon caves (I learned about that one yesterday. Don't google it, it's very NSFW and :cry: ). The cause of isolated men that are attracted to Tate's message comes from way more innocuous sources, such as online dating's negative effects. If loads of guys weren't feeling dispossessed, then Tate wouldn't have an audience. Banning him had little effect, in fact, when he was uniformly banned from ALL social media platforms, the amount of content about him skyrocketed and he became the most googled person in the world, the ban was the best free marketing for his message. That's why I prefer people like Tate to be visible on social media, because completely banning them gives them even more kudos in their world and cements their community even more.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am I don’t agree, deplatforming arseholes is effective.

There are plenty of people who have been banned from the main sm platforms and have sunk into obscurity. It’s even happened to Trump to a degree.

You’re never going to completely get rid of shitty people and 9 times out of 10 you aren’t going to change their minds with reasoned discussion. Push them into the margins where the harm they do is minimised.
That's a poor example, because Trump's failure to be re-elected and inability to get back into the media is what caused his decline, not his Twitter ban. Every president shrinks from public view after their last term. And if he had been re-elected, they would have kept him on Twitter. It just so happened that Biden's inauguration and Trump's ban occurred at the same time.

There's an interesting ongoing debate in the literature around eating disorders, whether the presence of online eating disorder communities promotes unhealthy behaviours, or whether it provides a space to those who need help. While there is unhealthy content that glorifies EDs, you'll also find plenty of evidence of recovery from EDs, which would also be erased if we decided to ban ED communities.

The problem with de-platforming is that it's an insidious method that cedes power of judgement to a privileged few. I've seen it at a lower level in universities (academia is notoriously toxic for this) where Professors/Directors in universities will deplatform lesser known researchers and it's horrid to see. We're not talking about anything as provocative as Tate either, we're simply talking about two people who are both good at the same thing, and the one who is in power uses it to deplatform the other.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That’s not deplatforming though that’s just being a dick.

Trump was just a high profile example I could name ten other people it worked with off the top of my head.

Don’t want to get too personal with this but the “let them expose themselves in public” viewpoint is quite privileged. It’s easy to say it when what the people are saying doesn’t affect you.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Considering some of the hate that on here it doesn’t surprise me that he gets pretty reactionary with his location, whether it’s a stupid thing to try and control or not.

OV9 forum, welcome to Pistonheads 😛

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:53 am Publishing a vehicle licence number isn't doxxing. HTH.
reposting the freely available location of an aircraft isn't either tbf.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:49 pm That’s not deplatforming though that’s just being a dick.

Trump was just a high profile example I could name ten other people it worked with off the top of my head.

Don’t want to get too personal with this but the “let them expose themselves in public” viewpoint is quite privileged. It’s easy to say it when what the people are saying doesn’t affect you.
Honestly I don't mind, I find this debate interesting! To clarify, are you saying that it's a privileged position because I'm not the victim of Tate's mysoginy?
tim

Post by tim »

Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:10 pm
tim wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:53 am Publishing a vehicle licence number isn't doxxing. HTH.
Not quite the same though, is it.

Posting "haha look at those fucking shorts on this guy driving R1CHB" is the equivalent of "haha look at this rich cunt who owns a private jet N628TS", neither of which is doxxing.

Not the same as "click on this link/follow this page and it'll show you the precise location of where the driver of R1CHB is", which is far more "you can go here and kill this person" than "if you can figure out where this object is based upon this information which is written in big on teh outside of it for everyone to see, then this person might be in it so you can kill them".

It's subtle for hard of thinking or quick of shit-posting though, I'll grant you that (and I don't suggest you fit into either of those categories).

In any case my own personal view is he overreacted based upoin his "unique" personality and way of thinking, and what happened to a car with his kid in it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Or one of the impressionable guys he sucks in with his bullshit.

It’s more of a general argument though, you see people say “disinfect with sunlight” a lot but while you’re disinfecting these people are causing real harm.

To keep it vaguely on topic let’s look at Musk. IMO he’s a victim of this type of thing, whether it’s his autism or just social awkwardness he’s desperate to be liked and he’s constantly trying to gain the approval of the worst cunts on the internet.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:17 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:10 pm
Not quite the same though, is it.

Posting "haha look at those fucking shorts on this guy driving R1CHB" is the equivalent of "haha look at this rich cunt who owns a private jet N628TS", neither of which is doxxing.

Not the same as "click on this link/follow this page and it'll show you the precise location of where the driver of R1CHB is", which is far more "you can go here and kill this person" than "if you can figure out where this object is based upon this information which is written in big on teh outside of it for everyone to see, then this person might be in it so you can kill them".

It's subtle for hard of thinking or quick of shit-posting though, I'll grant you that (and I don't suggest you fit into either of those categories).

In any case my own personal view is he overreacted based upoin his "unique" personality and way of thinking, and what happened to a car with his kid in it.
I would imagine that if you were a nutter/paparazzi who wanted to track his jets locations for nefarious reasons, clicking on one of the legal websites that tracks jets wouldn't really be beyond you.

Though in reality, there's zero evidence this supposed attack had anything to do with his jet being "tracked". It could have just been (ironically for this post) this guy being there And knowing and recognising Elon's car number plate.

I still don't really believe the story anyway.
Simon

Post by Simon »

He's taking this anti-doxxing thing TOO FAR now....

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm
To keep it vaguely on topic let’s look at Musk. IMO he’s a victim of this type of thing, whether it’s his autism
I think it's Asperger's that he says he has.

There's a very interesting YT account called Common Sense Skeptic. They have a video breaking down Musk's claims that he has Asperger's and why it's BS (as well as addressing the other nonsense he spouts).
Beany

Post by Beany »

Musk is now banning references to other social media sites, even in DMs.

Chefs-kiss.png
Beany

Post by Beany »

Which just sounds petty till you realise it's "legally shaky" in the EU

Shame he keeps sacking his lawyers, eh?
tim

Post by tim »

not even law until next may, plus a further 6 months to be compliant, and it's not a given that Twitter even qualifies as a Gatekeeper. More cherry-picked noise methinks.

It's a weird-ass move though.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I guess we'll find out if Twitters actual compliance/legal staff (not just Musk with a hangover) think they're a Gatekeeper based on whether there's an unscheduled rollback of the feature, early next week.

The EU are already looking quite closely at Twitter, I imagine someone - anyone - at Twitter might want to avoid ruffling any more feathers given the EUs tendency to do X% of revenue fines, rather than X% of profit....
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Alex88 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:13 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:21 pm
To keep it vaguely on topic let’s look at Musk. IMO he’s a victim of this type of thing, whether it’s his autism
I think it's Asperger's that he says he has.

There's a very interesting YT account called Common Sense Skeptic. They have a video breaking down Musk's claims that he has Asperger's and why it's BS (as well as addressing the other nonsense he spouts).
Will watch it in a bit, ta.

Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Cool. The guy's other Musk videos are really interesting as well.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Someone needs to take his phone away

An absolute unit