Your fleet running reports

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:29 pm My low coolant message came on yesterday, so I popped and got a top up this morning. I put it in earlier and was rewarded with a nice puddle under the car and no coolant in the tank. Balls.

I've just dropped the car off at my local Indy (thankfully in a farm only about 500m away) - hopefully it's just something simple like something come undone, otherwise I might have to get warranty's etc involved?
Erk :shock: Not good!

It's that time of year again where I start using the heaters in the car and am reminded, by virtue of the fumes on cold startup, that I really should pull my finger out and sort the cam cover gasket...
John

Post by John »

A loud rattle from the front off side of the Panda started on the way to work this morning. Same thing happened back in February but the opposite side, broken coil spring :roll:

Four springs on three cars in four years.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:32 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:29 pm My low coolant message came on yesterday, so I popped and got a top up this morning. I put it in earlier and was rewarded with a nice puddle under the car and no coolant in the tank. Balls.

I've just dropped the car off at my local Indy (thankfully in a farm only about 500m away) - hopefully it's just something simple like something come undone, otherwise I might have to get warranty's etc involved?
Erk :shock: Not good!

It's that time of year again where I start using the heaters in the car and am reminded, by virtue of the fumes on cold startup, that I really should pull my finger out and sort the cam cover gasket...
buggered supplementary rad from presumably a stone chip - £600. Great.

Sounds like it's a common problem on M2s, basically the grills aren't very grilly, so they don't actually stop stones. I'm going to get some black mesh for behind them I think.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

911s suffer exactly the same thing with the AC condensers. Sturdy mesh is a common upgrade.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

So while I wait for more stuff to arrive, I'm keeping myself busy by fretting about cosmetics :roll:

I like the contrast of the black wheel arch trims against the body, it's part of the MINI's character, but they're faded and patchy. I wouldn't want to go body-coloured. I've tried the back-to-black and heat gun approaches on other cars in the past and they don't last. Is this a good place for plasti-dip ?

AD593FD6-6C2E-4B4F-8CB6-C041BBC4ADEA.jpeg
AD593FD6-6C2E-4B4F-8CB6-C041BBC4ADEA.jpeg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 490 times
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Plasti dip also fades to grey within a year. The lower arches are quite stone chip prone so it may wear away after this winter then all come off the next time you wash it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gtechniq c4 is what you need
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Solution finish is what I’m planning on trying on some of ours next. It’s a proper dye. You can get plastic bumper paint too, but you’d have to make sure every trace of silicone and oil was removed first and may look scabby if it got chipped.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:43 pm The TT felt funny just as I came off the M25 to Gatwick, got to the long stay car park and the tyre is pretty much flat. Arse, thatll be a nice job at 9pm tomorrow night, fingers crossed it doesn’t rain.

Dave!
Yep, that will do it….

Oddly, didn’t deflate instantly so maybe whatever it was that did it I was pushing it further and further in ?

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Broccers wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:06 pm Gtechniq c4 is what you need
I was about to make the same recommendation. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I have used. Heat gun lasts no time….
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It certainly gets good reviews, but bugger me it's expensive ! In the past I'm sure I've bought a whole car for less than a bottle that.
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: You must have some Scottish blood SJ. £22 for a bottle that will do the whole car and more.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not sure it will even work on trim that faded and streaky. I know a lot of people who have tried it on older cars have been very disappointed. The darkening effect isn’t any different to an oil or silicone based product, it just dries on and lasts instead of eventually washing off.

I’d also like to add how disappointed I am with the new autoglym bumper and trim gel. It’s now just a thicker tyre gel and really doesn’t last. The old green stuff had a wax content so you could let it sit, wipe off the excess then buff to a dry, non greasy finish.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:29 am Not sure it will even work on trim that faded and streaky.
I used it just a couple of months ago on miklet’s Civic. As stated above - it’s not perfect, but I thought it did pretty well. Still looks the same of course.

I took these before & after shots to send to him - no filters applied to either pic.

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:23 am :lol: You must have some Scottish blood SJ.
I'm known for being, let's say, "careful" with my money....
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Linseed oil works well, needs a top up every few months though.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I use Meguiars liquid wax and it works great for about 6 months.

Dave!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I just typed a diesel update and then promptly lost it :roll:

TLDR: I drained the old fuel and put some fresh diesel in. It’s running fine again.

Anyone want to buy a diesel Clubman ? High miles, great condition, super cheap to run. £1500.

B3847628-C999-4B89-9593-AD5510298751.jpeg
B3847628-C999-4B89-9593-AD5510298751.jpeg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Not sure this is your target market for a misfuelled bini, SJ :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:55 pm Not sure this is your target market for a misfuelled bini, SJ :lol:
A diesel Cooper is know as a Dooper, actually 8-)