HM ERII

Mito Man

Re: HM ERII

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm I'm sure they don't want to see traffic lights on telly for the procession.

Because that really matters more than having, you know, safe traffic flow.

What are they doing, replacing them with temp ones or just closing the roads around the area for the whole weekend? :lol:
They've closed the roads - not that it matters much for private vehicles anyway as it's another one of those zones which you can only drive in at specific hours.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Can we talk about the queue to see her casket? Currently at 4.2 miles long and has been since lunchtime. It dipped down to 2 miles early this morning.

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Looking at the posts on the official Facebook page, 2.75 to 2.9 mile queues is approximately 8 hours so no idea what 4.2 means.

I don't think they're managing the hall well. Everyone's getting there own little moment with people patiently waiting. They should move 6 or 8 people into position - have their moments and then move the next group in.

I get everyone want's their private moment but there are just too many people to do that.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Gavster wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:24 pm Can we talk about the queue to see her casket? Currently at 4.2 miles long and has been since lunchtime. It dipped down to 2 miles early this morning.

I've lived on the edge of Bermondsey for 21 years and had no idea there was a beach!
Does a patch of riverbed count as a landmark, particularily when you can only see it at low tide?
mik

Post by mik »

Anyone else wonder if - y’know - for security purposes, the. maybe - y’know - she’s not in that coffin?

Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:23 pm Anyone else wonder if - y’know - for security purposes, the. maybe - y’know - she’s not in that coffin?

What's the security risk? That if someone tries to blow up the procession, that her corpse will fall out?

You think it'd be better if it were a few sandbags? :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

That’s the kinda thinking they want you to be thinking @Beany ……

I just popped onto twatter and Si - previously of this parish - posted similar. It’s a sign!

Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:23 pm Anyone else wonder if - y’know - for security purposes, the. maybe - y’know - she’s not in that coffin?

She’s in the Fox and Hounds grabbing a sherry
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I think people have got the idea of the guards wrong. They're there to make sure she doesn't escape and we end up with a zombie monarch.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I dunno.. I imagine the blowing up of her coffin would render whether she was there or not moot, as it’s a symbolic attack, and so it should be dealt with equally hardly either way..
Cheers,

Ian
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

It was saying 4.x miles / over 9 hours earlier. I though they were letting it up to 10 miles / 30 hours. That would be one hell of a snaking queue in Stratford Park.

Our office overlooks the Eye and Houses of Parliament and my client is over the river in Westminster. I was tempted to go in but couldn't be arsed with the crowds.

In terms of people filing past one at a time, I guess the people joining the queue have all seen that (and will be messaging their mates or family before they go into the hall to screengrab from the live feed their moment) so the queue is what it is and they are accepting of it.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The queue jumped to 14 hours and then they stopped letting people join it - not sure how that's achieved in reality.
I think my voluntary queuing limit is about 15 minutes so not a chance here :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am The queue jumped to 14 hours and then they stopped letting people join it - not sure how that's achieved in reality.
I'm imagining a sea of people all loitering and taking up the same space as if they were in a queue, but in a random, jostling mass that will lead to some kind of crush or fight breakout once the official queue is reopened.
Left over crest; tightens.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The queue to see the Queen is now getting so long that by the time you get there you will be able to see Charles as well. :D

On a serious note and not knocking anyone, but Ive been surprised over the last week that it isn't just the older generation and the flag shagging Brexit types that have been touched by the queen going.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

JonMad wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:59 am
Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am The queue jumped to 14 hours and then they stopped letting people join it - not sure how that's achieved in reality.
I'm imagining a sea of people all loitering and taking up the same space as if they were in a queue, but in a random, jostling mass that will lead to some kind of crush or fight breakout once the official queue is reopened.
They’re announcing at all stations that the queue is closed until further notice, telling people not to travel.

Remember we’re British, so the ‘reserve’ queue is probably v well organised too
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:28 pm The queue to see the Queen is now getting so long that by the time you get there you will be able to see Charles as well. :D

On a serious note and not knocking anyone, but Ive been surprised over the last week that it isn't just the older generation and the flag shagging Brexit types that have been touched by the queen going.
The three friends of mine who’ve made the most effort to pay respects to the Queen were born in India, Spain and Russia, ironically my white British friends seem to be making the least effort 😆
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm also quite surprised at how many apparent closet royalists are in my social circle, especially ones who 'should know better' (IE Scots) - I guess people separate the Queen from 'royalty' and 'government' in general given the opinions some of them have had on Prince Andrew, Boris Johnson, etc.

That, and there are probably only a few tens of thousands of people in the country for whom the queen hasn't been just 'always there' - her own little institution that's as regular and normal as HMRC, Big Ben and the weather being crap.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I think my voluntary queuing limit is about 15 minutes so not a chance here :lol:
Me too Mito. I don't even like being next in line for fuel at our Shell station!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Queue’s “over 24 hours” now..,
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

At the risk of sounding like I'm on the spectrum or something, The whole things a bit odd to me. I used to live in central Windsor and liked the tourism generated by the castle, and by default the royal family.

So, I don't dislike the actual royals, but I don't get why people are so sad. The queen did a great job (she also had massive privilege the whole of her life) for a very long time, but she can't live forever, so on with the next one. I didn't know her, it wasn't an unexpected/untimely death, so I don't see why it's particularly sad for people outside her family?