Fucknuts, wallybeans and

V8Granite

Fucknuts, wallybeans and

Post by V8Granite »

Glow in the dark fat twats.

I drove to order some parts, the sun was out, tears for fears were on the radio cassette and the sunroof was open. All was well till a fucknuggets in an Etron with the number plate 7RON was driving down a country lane and seemed to think he was in a wide arched Peterbuilt. I pretty much had to wave hello till he realised it wasn’t that wide so I could overtake.

Which led me to coming up behind a 640D GC, bloody lovely looking thing in dark blue, lowered it seemed and some very wide rear tyres so I guess some alloys. It to was wide but mainly because they were weaving all over the place while looking between their legs.

The glow in the dark fat twat was riding in the middle of the road, obviously saying to themselves “well the highways code says I can” and completely ignoring the cycle land 2 feet to their left. Big head shakes as each car had to wait to overtake.
I’ve never wanted to be in the Landy with some mirror extenders on before so much, maybe when I’m old and even grumpier I’ll give it a go.

Now around here people ride pretty sensible, enough that you don’t really notice it generally (apart from the club cycles every couple of weeks) so this annoying tit stood out like a hippo in a tin of beans.

I managed to burn some petrol though and got chatting to a guy about car related stuff so not all bad.

Dave!
drcarlos

Re: Fucknuts, wallybeans and

Post by drcarlos »

Cycling should be an exercise in self preservation. It's all very well having the moral high ground but it won't do you any good if you are crippled or dead. It only takes one person to do this to you.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

We have massive problems with Lycra clad cunts ignoring cycle lanes. I think we need an amendment to the rules, that if you ignore a cycle lane or cycle path you loose your right to 1.5m.

We have a bridge over our local main a road between 2 towns, it’s single carriageway with narrow lanes and massive paths, signposted as dual function cycleway and footpath and will they fuck use it, you end up waiting for ages to get past as it’s got a pretty significant hump shape to it, and it’s always someone wearing every ounce of racing style gear available to them
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:45 pm We have massive problems with Lycra clad cunts ignoring cycle lanes. I think we need an amendment to the rules, that if you ignore a cycle lane or cycle path you loose your right to 1.5m.

We have a bridge over our local main a road between 2 towns, it’s single carriageway with narrow lanes and massive paths, signposted as dual function cycleway and footpath and will they fuck use it, you end up waiting for ages to get past as it’s got a pretty significant hump shape to it, and it’s always someone wearing every ounce of racing style gear available to them
Cyclists aren't legally required to ride in a cycle lane. Cyclists are legally entitled to occupy any position in the carriageway in the same way as any other vehicular traffic.

So it's just tough shit I'm afraid and you have to suck it up. Take a deep breath and chill the fuck out people.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ Oh...oh no, please tell me you're not of them :(
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

There are lots of things I’m legally entitled to do but don’t because I don’t want to piss people off or have everyone think I’m a bellend.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:49 pm
jamcg wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:45 pm We have massive problems with Lycra clad cunts ignoring cycle lanes. I think we need an amendment to the rules, that if you ignore a cycle lane or cycle path you loose your right to 1.5m.

Cyclists aren't legally required to ride in a cycle lane. Cyclists are legally entitled to occupy any position in the carriageway in the same way as any other vehicular traffic.

So it's just tough shit I'm afraid and you have to suck it up. Take a deep breath and chill the fuck out people.
Never said they were doing anything illegal. Just that they have an option to legally stay the fuck out of the way instead of legally slowing one of our busiest routes own to 10mph instead of 40mph during rush hour and legally show a sense of self preservation when a far far safer option is given to them on a silver platter
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A main road from The Ortons into town, where most people work gets turned into a 10mph road now. In the morning it’s busy but smooth flowing. I used it for 5 years to get to and from work on my bike and it’s a nice cycle and plenty of space.

If you need an entire lane to cycle in then you should be getting the bus.

Dave!
John

Post by John »

The problem with shared use cycle paths are phone zombies, idiot dog owners who either use extendable leads or dogs off the lead with no recall at all and having to stop to cross side roads. I do generally use them though as there are too many dumb drivers who seem to be under the impression the roads were built for their own personal use.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 am There are lots of things I’m legally entitled to do but don’t because I don’t want to piss people off or have everyone think I’m a bellend.
That.
The Venn diagram for ‘people who wake up and want to be a miserable burden and inconvenience burden on others’ and ‘cyclists’ must have a 90% overlap.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

John wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 am The problem with shared use cycle paths are phone zombies, idiot dog owners who either use extendable leads or dogs off the lead with no recall at all and having to stop to cross side roads. I do generally use them though as there are too many dumb drivers who seem to be under the impression the roads were built for their own personal use.
My main issue with cycle lanes is that typically they're in a shocking state of repair so range from uncomfortable, to dangerous (as you have to often swerve to avoid pot holes, debris and sunken grates/manhole covers).

Shared use paths are ok, but mostly not appropriate for anyone going at a decent lick due to other path users.

It would really help everyone if there was decent, segregated cycle infrastructure here. Would definitely lead to many more people commuting by bike and less confrontation on the roads.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:19 am
John wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:21 am The problem with shared use cycle paths are phone zombies, idiot dog owners who either use extendable leads or dogs off the lead with no recall at all and having to stop to cross side roads. I do generally use them though as there are too many dumb drivers who seem to be under the impression the roads were built for their own personal use.
My main issue with cycle lanes is that typically they're in a shocking state of repair so range from uncomfortable, to dangerous (as you have to often swerve to avoid pot holes, debris and sunken grates/manhole covers).

Shared use paths are ok, but mostly not appropriate for anyone going at a decent lick due to other path users.

It would really help everyone if there was decent, segregated cycle infrastructure here. Would definitely lead to many more people commuting by bike and less confrontation on the roads.
All of this. Off-street shared-use paths are not the place for riders travelling at any sort of decent speed. On-street cycle lanes are often riddled with knackered gullies, potholes, deteriorating edge of carriageway contruction etc. And a 1m wide lane sandwiched between the kerb and traffic is also potenially not the place to be schlepping along at any sort of lick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people looking out for each other and trying to do as much to not inconvenience anyone, but I don't blame come cyclists for positioning themselves more towards the middle of the lane - it is self-preservation! Some of them do it to be arses, yes, but then there's plenty of other dicks on the road doing dickish things all the time, but for some reason in this country a lot of people have an obsession with cyclists and their behaviour.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

It’s because we’re legally bound to look after people who won’t even look after themselves enough to wear head protection or even be slightly aware of their surroundings and ride with no sense of self preservation. The reason no one talks about good cyclists is because they’re good you don’t notice them. It’s the monumental bellends who you actually notice, who wake up and wonder who they can shout at today
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Any driver moaning about cyclists not using cycle lanes has clearly never ridden on one. I do use them as much as possible, but they're generally rubbish, incomplete, broken, shared with pedestrians, constantly involve stopping for side turnings and just disappear into thin air or become too narrow or full of parked cars.

I cycled up this road last weekend: https://goo.gl/maps/RjAq5qg77cVBtKq69 - what the fuck is the point of that cycle path? There's no advantage to using it over simply turning on the carriageway; it includes two oblique crossings of low-grip kerbs, puts the bicycles in conflict with pedestrians and has a give way at the end, then people park in the continuation anyway.

One of the few decent cycle lanes in the UK is alongside Marston Ferry Road in Oxford - I've not used it for years but it's been there for at least 30 years and probably a lot longer: https://goo.gl/maps/gVDdV8WTjgDFoC4q8
I've tried to link to an old Streetview but it's now marked with a central white line too.