What would you buy again and why?

drcarlos

What would you buy again and why?

Post by drcarlos »

Going back in your car history is there something that you once owned and would like to re-visit? Why?

Me, my MG Maestro 2.0i, under rated as it always handled well, very rare these days. A bit of an Anti hero in it's day but I liked the looks too and it was practical too.
I always felt the example I owned could have been better engine wise, it needed a new head really (funds were tight in my early 20's) as It kept blowing gaskets due to rot and seemed down on power compared to another I drove. I sold it because I wanted to try other cars and found a 480 Turbo (something I'd wanted for a while) in a spec that was right, living at home I could only have one car at a time so I had to sell it.
I'd like to get another and do a bit of stealth modding by swapping the ECU for something modern and mappable. Always looking on eBay and Classics ads and nearly went for it at the end of last year on a car that was just like my old one, minus the optional electric windows, but reality hit and remembered I had nowhere to keep it.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Re: What would you buy again and why?

Post by Delphi »

Either of my S13 200sx. I think it's nearly impossible to find one that's completely unmolested (if you can find one at all). So well balanced and the handling was amazing. In a perfect world, I'd have the first one (a last of the line Executive with leather and CD changer) with the mods of the second one (it was making 245-250BHP).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Given my love of my Rallye, I nearly bought a 306 GTi-6 a couple of years ago for a couple of grand but was distracted at work just as the auction ended and missed out.
A Skoda Estelle would be a laugh as well now. Or maybe just shit and I'd flog it again instantly.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'd probably say my e46 330i sport. It was quick enough, handled well, was practical enough until I needed to fit 3 kids in the back and was sensible costs to run.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:02 pm Given my love of my Rallye, I nearly bought a 306 GTi-6 a couple of years ago for a couple of grand but was distracted at work just as the auction ended and missed out.
A Skoda Estelle would be a laugh as well now. Or maybe just shit and I'd flog it again instantly.
A 306 Rallye was my first choice too

Followed by the Nova SR I once owned (white with some very subtle motorsport graphics) a bit like this 'un

Last edited by DaveE on Wed May 11, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I would say my 306 Gti-6 too Jon. I loved it back along, but as a young driver, I was intoxicated by its straight line performance over the handling, it almost clouded everything else for me, so I'd really love to re-visit one again now I have a better understanding of suspension and what to look out for. Particularly the rear steer & LOO, which I only really learnt during my 106 Rallye ownership onwards, so feel I missed out.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:02 pm

I went out in one that was equipped to rally (probably a similar overall spec to your Fabia), seemed fun enough. The owner put it on its roof on stage (he crashed a few things on road and stage around that time...) and I've since lost track of it.

It's been a long while since I've driven here, but for as long as I could remember these always seemed to be here; https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8313428 ... 312!8i6656
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I remember those Skodas by Shoreham harbour too!

(We've been in Hove for c20 years)

I can't remember if they're still there though, or maybe just obscured by parked cars now
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Very few - only because "been there done that" really and too much other stuff to try...but there are two exceptions

Evora, but probably a different variant.

Audi RS2, just to have some more time in one.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

That I actually owned, my Boxster S - 3.4 Sport, sports exhaust, adaptive suspension, short shift…
it was the perfect spec, and a great balance between something that covered distance well but you could enjoy on a back road.
That I had as a company car, C6 Z06. Covered about 6,000 miles over four or five of them and you never get bored of a 7.0litre 7,300rpm V8 in a 1440kg car! It’s definitely an aim to buy one once the kids are older and I don’t need to ferry them around.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Saab 95 Aero estate sharknose 2005. I absolutely loved mine and had I not had a stint as a taxi driver I might even still own it, had at least 2 since but one was a 2003 and one was a 2002 so although they had better quality trim here and there they were both older by far.

Ideally with Hirsch wheels too.

I had a lovely AX GT back in the day and it seemed fast (85bhp) but I suspect just opening and shutting the doors would scare me straight back out of it again now.

I also quite liked my Scooby Turbo but never other road users responses and the assumption I was some sort of undesirable. (yes, I know, but they didn't know that, just assumed from the gold wheels etc)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

I think I’d buy any of them again, if the situation arose, there’s only a couple that I *wouldnt* buy. Corsa & Mazda 6. Oh, and the Land Rovers. They were awful too :D
Beany

Post by Beany »

My only other decent car was the Puma, so go figure :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:48 pm Very few - only because "been there done that" really and too much other stuff to try...
Pretty much that.

I still kinda fancy another VXR8, but it would have to be additional to a genuine sports car (sports saloons are great but they are compromised) and it would have to be the later gen-F to differentiate it from 5yrs experience of a gen-E.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I got a kicking over this before but the Audi A5 Coupe 3.0 tdi Black Edition was a marvellous all round compromise of looks, performance, great interior and overall economy
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
John

Post by John »

The 205 gti turbo to see if it was as quick as I remember. It's the stuff of legends amongst a group of us who had hot hatches at the time.
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

When we first set eyes on it...
When we first set eyes on it...
Dave's phone pix 008.jpg (328.99 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Without a shadow of doubt it would be my old Golf mk2 G60. Basically a "mildy" tweeked supercharged 8v Gti & LHD
We first saw it at Bodelwyddan Castle, North Wales at All Types VW show. Sat in the car park in a field me and the kids walked over to it for a nosey. I said the kids " If I ever come into any money thats the perfect car for me, thanks" . Around that time my mum was fighting cancer like the trooper she was and managed to fight it off for a number of years after we first spotted "G284PWT", until she couldn't fight any more :(
The day after the estate was all sorted and the cheques were sent out to us I was casually browsing Pistonheads.... and there it was, up for sale. Quick phone to my mate ( who's a mechanic as I'm clueless :lol: ) and a viewing was booked for the next day. I remember my mate saying on the way over to North Wales that there was no point in him even looking at it as he knew I'd be buying it!
Deal was done and 7 years of blissful ownership happened. Then (after a bit of mither from the wife) I sold it. It had turned into something so precious it came out for 3 shows a year and maybe a very blast around the hills but that was it. I'd spent a fair bit on it obviously and had stripped the engine for repaint and then rebuilt it etc but I literally walked out the house one morning and decided that was it - it was going.
It took a while to sell ( & dont mention the prices of immaculate G60s now :shock: ) but it sold in the end and was trailored down South to be SORNd for ever. I check every few months in case its been put back on the road but there's never any updates.

If I ever get a tidy sum again I'd happily pay for it to be sourced and purchased.
Cockwobble
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'd probably have another E34 5-series, Corrado VR6, perhaps an E46 3-series, Elise S2, mk1 MX5 - but for each IIRWOIWHOA.

I have actually bought another of the same model/spec twice; my E61 545i Tourings and my A6 Allroads. I think it's more the sort of thing you do for an everyday car after you wear out the first one :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't think I'd buy the same car I'd already had, like I'd not want to go on holiday to somewhere I've already been - there's plenty of other things to try.

Although, I did buy 2 identical 2005 performance blue fiesta STs (when my wife crashed it and we needed a replacement quick)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

DaveE wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:56 pm
JonMad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:02 pm Given my love of my Rallye, I nearly bought a 306 GTi-6 a couple of years ago for a couple of grand but was distracted at work just as the auction ended and missed out.
A 306 Rallye was my first choice too

Followed by the Nova SR I once owned (white with some very subtle motorsport graphics) a bit like this 'un

As far as hatchback designs go the Nova still looks great.
An absolute unit