3 kids - isofix

hoyleyboyley

3 kids - isofix

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Hi folks,

long time reader, no often poster :lol: probably more a post for mumsnet but well....

we have 2 kids and the mighty L322 is fabulous, if not expensive. regardless, our kids are young and will trash anything 'nice and new' :D (at least thats the excuse i've told myself)

No 3 on the way and isofix suddenly becomes an issue in regards to safety.

so, short of buying an old espace or debting myself up to the hilt on a lease of something new, what do people do?!?!

multimacs are spendy and also only seem to do newborns in a minimac. we've tried to keep ours rearward facing for as long as possible and 13kg seems a bit small to just be plonking them in a forward facing seat.

Cheers,
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Re: 3 kids - isofix

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've never faced this problem personally, but when BiL had #3 come along they traded up from a Passat to an XC90 and it served them very well.

Other than that I think you're into the realm of Galaxies. And not the fantastically cool sixties ones ;)
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

This is the problem.

Our mk1 xc90 has been a workhorse, and despite the 3rd row, still only has 2 ISOFIX. FFS.

new XC90 doesnt seem to have more points either.
Obs the mrs has decreed that isofix is the safety standard, as thats what we've had for the first 2.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Cant help but congrats !
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Won't someone think of the planet.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oh, I had assumed it had three !

My Touareg had Isofix in the front passenger seat. Put the largest kid in the front and your missus can sit in the middle of the rear seat. See how she likes that !
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Thanks mate. :lol:

didnt like sleeping anyway :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

What age are the current ones? Does the oldest need to stay in and isofix seat?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Does the XC90 not have Isofix in the front passenger seat? Put your wife in the rearmost row ;)

Congrats Scott, even if I'm no help at all. I think Jimmy Choo may have encountered the same issue but I don't know if he ever found a car which solved it.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I never used ISOFIX but when I had 3 youngish kids I ended up with a Mitsi Grandis as it along with the bigger SUV's and MPV was the only thing that could fit 3 car seats across the back seat (even bigger cars like the 5 series and e class had bulky bolsters at either end of the seat that stopped 3 seats fitting). I can't remember if it had 3 ISO points but I'm sure it did have at least 2.
I think the Grandis and the S-Max were the only 2 in the class, which was sort of a stretched small MPV, the S-Max had better engines but it was pretty fragile internally.
Worth a look as they are little less van like that a Galaxy but my guess is that you'll end up there or in that class.
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

4.5 and 2.5, eldest is big and for most clothes is in 7/8 :D so i suspect his current seat won't last him till he's 12 as suggested.
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:07 pm Oh, I had assumed it had three !

My Touareg had Isofix in the front passenger seat. Put the largest kid in the front and your missus can sit in the middle of the rear seat. See how she likes that !

that'd actually be perfect as she boob feeds. :mrgreen:

means not stopping every 10 minutes with a new born.

Pretty sure we're screwed and will end up woth an MPV of some description :oops:
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3
A grand total of 4(!!!) Isofix points
mik

Post by mik »

If you really don’t want to change vehicle, worth considering(?)

I first saw these (or a competitor product?) in evo - John Barker had one fitted to a long-termer.

Can (obvs) pick them up 2nd hand on teh bay etc.

https://www.multimac.com/home

Edit: ah yes you mention these in your original post :oops:
Will leave up the picture for others to enjoy…..
Last edited by mik on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My M3 had isofix in the front seat. Problem solved - 3 kids +driver at healthy speeds.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Apparently the Skoda Superb mk3 has 3 isofix in the back
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Why do you need Isofix ?

Just pick a seat for the eldest that uses the seatbelt to secure it.

Aslong as all 3 fit safely across the width it’s not an issue. I’d take the seatbelt over the Isofix mount personally, ISOFIX is only handy when seats are moving between cars imo.

Dave!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I had the same problem on here 14 years ago now, and ended up getting the Alhambra as it had 3 proper seats across the back and a massive boot. As the kids got bigger and needed more legroom, the bus could accomodate easily. In fact, we still have it all this time later and I honestly couldn't have bought better vehicle. Not evo, nor exciting to drive, but it really is the right tool for the job. Funnily enough, I used to strap all the baby/car seats in via the seatbelt method as it apparently didn't have ISOfix points. Last year, our foster sister lent us her baby and I accidently disvovered that all 5 rear seats had ISOfix all along! Gah! I have to say, it's a much better system and you know 100% it's fitted correctly and in the right spot.

As much as I love cars and driving, my kids comfort and safety is the priority. The thought of squeezing them into a car that's too small via one of those multimac monstrosity because my ego is too big makes me shudder.

I can't vouch for the new MPV's as I've not driven them, but they must be an improvement in every measure over the older ones. I have driven an S-Max and was thoroughly underwhelmed with the space, performance and build.

Congrats BTW.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Tesla X has 4 isofix attchments.. lots of extra safety kit to sell it.. plus dogging mode, sorry I mean temp control whilst parked
Cheers,

Ian
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Galaxy has Isofix across all three back seats. Our two eldest are forward facing and use the seat belts but Isofix locks the seats in place when they're not in them. Can't beat having three individual seats as it makes things much easier.

Edit: congrats and welcome to the club. I think you're the fourth member along with me, @Jimmy Choo and @Gwaredd.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away