Brannigans crisps

Coaster1

Brannigans crisps

Post by Coaster1 »

No wonder I haven’t been able to find them in the shop..... they were discontinued last September. :o

Best crisps ever.

RIP

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/foo ... ing-657852

Any recommendations? 🤔
ZedLeg

Re: Brannigans crisps

Post by ZedLeg »

Mackies crisps are good and probably pretty close to Brannigans. Not the same flavours but big thick crisps with loads of flavour.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Piper. The Beef Longhorn ones are bloody lovely.

Fiddler's Lancashire Crisps also very tasty
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 pm Mackies crisps are good and probably pretty close to Brannigans. Not the same flavours but big thick crisps with loads of flavour.
From the mainstream I like Walkers Worcester Sauce and Prawn Cocktail, but they are not Brannigans. :(
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The haggis and pepper Mackies are amazing, they won't clear your sinuses like the brannigans beef and mustard but the pack a punch :lol:
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

If we're doing a recommend-a-crisp thread, I'll chip in (geddit ??) with the Co-op Sea Salt Chardonnay Wine Vinegar crisps. A good hard vinegar kick.

https://www.coop.co.uk/products/co-op-i ... risps-150g
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Lots of crisp goodness on this thread. I used to love Brannigans' Beer Nuts which were discontinued years ago; I thought the crisps had gone at the same time but have occasionally, only rarely, seen them since.

Salty Dog crisps are nice if you like them so crisp they're almost sharp. Burts if you're in the SW and can get them. And I absolutely adore proper US Cheetos, particularly the Flamin' Hot.

I suspect Co-op's own posh crisps are made by Tyrells, which themselves are nice too if you stick to a decent flavour.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep I’m currently on Burts Guinness crisps and a big pack of Costco US Cheetos :lol:
Went off Mackies as I had a pack which had grit which put me right off them a few months ago.
I’ll pick up a pack of Slabs whenever I see them as they’re also very nice but different.
How about not having a sig at all?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Tyrrells veg crisps are very nice, but veg crisps tend to be a bit too oily.

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

My cousin runs Yorkshire Crisps - worth a try if you ever see them.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Tyrrell's salt and vinegar are my favourite crisps by a long shot. Although I only really have salt and vinegar crisps if I ever eat them. Stronger the better.

On a tangent, I used to get called Brannigan by some people at work years ago, I hadn't realised they were a brand for a long time. Funny seeing the name again.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Salty Dog crisps are nice if you like them so crisp they're almost sharp.
Agreed - the Salt ‘n’ Pepper ones are a great accompaniment to a cheese sandwich.

The nicest crisp in the history of crisps was the short lived “Pickled Scrumion” McCoys which were released during the rugby World Cup here. Absolutely lush…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is the moaning forum. 'Death by thread title' doesn't apply here, sorry. ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Gutted but explains why I have not seen them in ages! :( Every time I find a favourite treat crisp as well! I am still mourning Tudor Specials! :cry:

Thai Sweet chili McCoys are decent although a bit greasy.

The prawn cocktail McCoys are also pleasingly flavoursome.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm This is the moaning forum. 'Death by thread title' doesn't apply here, sorry. ;)
Overruled - Forum convention still applies.

Next.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:17 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm This is the moaning forum. 'Death by thread title' doesn't apply here, sorry. ;)
Overruled - Forum convention still applies.

Next.
TBH with news of this magnitude, @Matty atty should consider a "Fucking Disaster" sub forum!
Marv

Post by Marv »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 pm Mackies crisps are good and probably pretty close to Brannigans. Not the same flavours but big thick crisps with loads of flavour.
I know I can buy them down south (and I've even seen them for sale in Canada) but I hadn't had Mackie's crisps until for a few years, until I went back to Scotland on holiday a few weeks ago.

I'd forgotten how good they are 👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Gavin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 pm TBH with news of this magnitude, @Matty atty should consider a "Fucking Disaster" sub forum!
:D

I used to buy Brannigans at Poundland as most supermarkets here didn’t sell them. :|
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm
Gavin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 pm TBH with news of this magnitude, @Matty atty should consider a "Fucking Disaster" sub forum!

I used to buy Brannigans at Poundland as most supermarkets here didn’t sell them. :|
Only 5 in a multipack but for a pound you could nosh 2 at a time anyway!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Poundland is actually the only place that I can remember seeing them for sale in multipacks in recent times.
Oui, je suis un motard.