ImageUntitled by preachercain1, on Flickr

Peterlplp

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Peterlplp »

JonMad wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am
JonMad wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am I've never really clocked (so to speak) Grand Seiko as a thing, but as I have two Seikos (Titanium Kenetic and SK007), this warrants further investigation.
ah, *slightly* more expensive than my other watches then :lol:
Non-grand seiko do some snowflake-lite watches. This one is nice and simple. I love this beauty.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm Especially for Mik, because I care:

ImageUntitled by preachercain1
I am groot
mik

Post by mik »

PreacherCain wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:20 pm Especially for Mik, because I care:
Now that is better. 😎

I like the left field choice too.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Far, far better. I am also a devout hater of NATO straps.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

PreacherCain, congrats! The Snowflake is lovely.
M235i
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

It is indeed, Alex - I'm still at the point where I have to check my watch twice: once to look at it, and the second time to actually make a note of the time...
John

Post by John »

After the beauty of the Grand Seiko time for normality to return ;)

I've never owned a Hamilton before but this one caught my eye in the online sale at Ernest Jones. It's a Hamilton Khaki Air Race automatic, built to celebrate the Red Bull air race sponsorship. The CGI photos that shops tend to use often don't give a true representation of the watch and this one is much nice IMO in the metal.

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ooh, that's nice!
John

Post by John »

Forgot to say, £450 in the sale down from £675 with another 10% off if you sign up for email newsletters so £405.
mik

Post by mik »

Ooh - that Hamilton is lovely. 8-) 42mm is an ideal size too.

I’ve been looking at orange faced watches for a while - that is an interesting alternative. I do not need another watch though. :roll:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Life isn't about needs.

Well - unless you suck at life. :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I'm a fan of some of the simpler looking Hamiltons

Good value for money I think too

Although some of the ones I like are manual wind, not automatics
Richard

Post by Richard »

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

John wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:12 pm Image
Lovely, just lovely...

As soon as we get tenants into our other place, next pay day, I aware to God...😄
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

I love the Spring Drive chronograph movement, it looks wonderful and has some pleasing techniques (column wheel, clutch etc)... I just wish they’d put it in a less challenging case. Those pushers absolutely ruin it for me; having seen one in the flesh last week, I can confirm they are exactly as oversized and daft as they look. 😟

ETA: that Hamilton looks the mutt’s nuts! I’ve always liked them, I had an ana/digi chrono for a while which was the perfect gateway drug to an X-33. Really well made and hard to beat at the price point IMO.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Those pushers are utterly ridiculous. There aren't many Grand Seikos I actually like (your Snowflake being one of them); Seiko seem keen to make as many variants of Grand Seiko as they do Seiko 5, just with much better finishing.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Shame about the pushers on that one as I much prefer the face on it. I don't want to be overly mean about the Grand Seikos but I view them in much the same way as I would a Toyota Century versus an S-Class Mercedes. The Toyota is an interesting engineering exercise and quirky but too much of a retro oddity styling wise.

I have no love for that Hamilton either. Just looks like a £150 fashion watch to me. If I wanted that type of fleiger-esque styling I'd save up and buy a Bremont or probably a Sinn if I really couldn't afford it.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:29 am Shame about the pushers on that one as I much prefer the face on it. I don't want to be overly mean about the Grand Seikos but I view them in much the same way as I would a Toyota Century versus an S-Class Mercedes. The Toyota is an interesting engineering exercise and quirky but too much of a retro oddity styling wise.
Great analogy, and it's how I feel about them too.

Massive appreciation and like for them, but I couldn't see myself dropping thousands on one in the way I might a more established name like Rolex, Tudor etc etc.

Which is crap in a sense, I know.

BTW, I was browsing a website the other day that sells lots of Grand Seiko variants, one of them was £50k!
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I wish GS would give their watches names rather than long letters and numbers. The only GS I'd buy:

M235i