Bye Bye Boris!

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by IanF »

“I’ll be back”.. Apparently already has 50 of the 100 votes needed just 9 hours in: will BJ2 be a better sequel or not? Discuss.

Also, 200 pages!.. soon to be 400 I imagine :D
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

This party are completely self destructive. I suspect Labour are probably going to have their biggest majority in history come the next GE.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was listening to some analysis last night which very convincingly said that Boris won't get the requisite number of nominations. Once you get past the initial 50, I suspect there will be plenty of resistance from the rest of the Tory MPs. We'll see; it seems quite plausible that he might get back in on the basis that plenty of these people think he's the only way they'll keep their seats at the next election.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:15 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:41 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:37 pm

4 years isn’t long enough to have ideas work aswell, even if they have been in power for 10 it was never agreed and that must alter what they end up doing.

Dave!
They’ve been in government for over 12 years; Cameron became PM in May 2010.
What I mean is I wonder what each party would do if they knew they had a 10 year span after being voted in. Would they implement things knowing even if the outcome would be good but the short term would be unpopular they’d do it. It seems the final
Year in office is just trying to secure another term.

Dave!
It's 100% true that governments are scared of touching food policy because of public backlash about being 'nanny state' and the majority of food policies take many years to see the benefits. They're too scared of their ratings. If they had a longer term, then there's enough time to get over that initial reaction and see the long-term benefit. But then at the same time, longer terms probably brings a whole host of other issues.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The whole Boris thing really doesn't help things does it. Oh look, the best we can manage is bringing back a failure who already fucked up so badly and repeatedly that half the cabinet left. But he's a fun character!!11!!!

If they actually gave a fuck they'd be trying to find an actual good candidate (the fact that they can't is pretty telling), or stepping down and offering it out for a GE.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No need to find a replacement. How they can morally and ethically reconcile not calling for a GE is beyond me.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:07 am No need to find a replacement. How they can morally and ethically reconcile not calling for a GE is beyond me.
Well they'd have to find a new party leader first, at least.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

They need a party leader in order to call a General Election No ???

I'll be honest, I'd love to see Boris come back - for Shits and Giggles. It would be hilarious the wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The biggest problem for the Tories at the moment is they just look like a divided party in turmoil. The only way you nip that in the bud is for them all to swallow their pride and get behind one candidate (probably Sunak), therefore don't go to the members.

The best thing BoJo can do if he cares about his party is to give Sunak a glowing endorsement and tell all his supporters to support him along with the rest of the party.

Of course they won't do that, and the chaos will continue.

I'm not that keen on a GE, that's just more chaos, and it doesn't really have precedent. None of the parties calling for it would call one if the roles were reversed, and the fact that they are is not for the good of the country, but to serve their own interests. I don't really think it's good to set a precedent for reduced terms due to a leader change, as has been discussed 5 years is short enough time to implement policy anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:09 am They need a party leader in order to call a General Election No ???

I'll be honest, I'd love to see Boris come back - for Shits and Giggles. It would be hilarious the wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media... :lol:
Literally. The. Problem.

Owning the libs isn't a valid political strategy. But hey, fuck the economy, energy costs and internaional displomacy, gotta get those lefty tears :roll:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:14 am The biggest problem for the Tories at the moment is they just look like a divided party in turmoil. The only way you nip that in the bud is for them all to swallow their pride and get behind one candidate (probably Sunak), therefore don't go to the members.

The best thing BoJo can do if he cares about his party is to give Sunak a glowing endorsement and tell all his supporters to support him along with the rest of the party.

Of course they won't do that, and the chaos will continue.

I'm not that keen on a GE, that's just more chaos, and it doesn't really have precedent. None of the parties calling for it would call one if the roles were reversed, and the fact that they are is not for the good of the country, but to serve their own interests. I don't really think it's good to set a precedent for reduced terms due to a leader change, as has been discussed 5 years is short enough time to implement policy anyway.
The problem you have is that Sunak is not really a Conservative - in terms of traditional ideas of Conservatism. And he has his supporters within the party which seems to bring with it a lot of sway. What has happened was always going to happen in my view.

He's absolutely the wrong choice imo. But I do wonder whether the best thing for the future of the party longer term may be for him to become PM and then lose horrifically at the next GE. That way he can be removed properly from the head of the party in the subsequent fallout, along with the likes of Jeremy Cunt and all those other toads, and then they might stand half a chance of rebuilding.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:17 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:09 am They need a party leader in order to call a General Election No ???

Literally. The. Problem.

Owning the libs isn't a valid political strategy. But hey, fuck the economy, energy costs and internaional displomacy, gotta get those lefty tears :roll:
No Political party can come into power and solve the economy, solve the energy crisis and sort out international diplomacy. The world is going to hell in a handcart and the best anyone can do is minimise the damage.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:20 am He's absolutely the wrong choice imo. But I do wonder whether the best thing for the future of the party longer term may be for him to become PM and then lose horrifically at the next GE. That way he can be removed properly from the head of the party in the subsequent fallout, along with the likes of Jeremy Cunt and all those other toads, and then they might stand half a chance of rebuilding.
I think a catastrophic loss at the next GE is a given anyway unless something completely crazy happens. Then inevitably the party will have to change. I can see Labour having multiple terms then anyway, so will be a lot of time for Tory soul-searching! :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:09 am
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:07 am No need to find a replacement. How they can morally and ethically reconcile not calling for a GE is beyond me.
Well they'd have to find a new party leader first, at least.
Could they bring back the last halfway decent leader they had as a caretaker? Would that be Major?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 am

Literally. The. Problem.

No Political party can come into power and solve the economy, solve the energy crisis and sort out international diplomacy. The world is going to hell in a handcart and the best anyone can do is minimise the damage.
we all saw what one mini-budget can achieve within a few days - to sit back and think that nothing any of them do can change things is pretty daft.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 am

Literally. The. Problem.

we all saw what one mini-budget can achieve within a few days - to sit back and think that nothing any of them do can change things is pretty daft.
No, didn't you hear, it'd be hilarious. All that matters is laughing at the screeching of the lefty wokerati ! The eocnomy? Fuck it! Your energy bills? Suck 'em up, it's all worth it to own the libs!

What are you, someone who takes politics seriously????
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:

Sorry, I mixed you up with Zed... ;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

No new leader can come up with a decent financial plan by the 31 October date for the statement - they'll have only a few days in the job to do so. So whoever wins is going to have to accept Hunt as chancellor and stick with the plan he's coming up with.

It's entirely possible that the Tories could win the next election which is still 2 years away, and they'll all have that as their goal. In practice it's all but impossible; I think Boris is the only candidate who would appeal to the electorate but I don't think he could win a snap election, and given any time at all in the job I think memories of why he had to leave will come back.

Their best hope, and I don't think they're organised enough to achieve this, is to find a leader who appeals to the electorate (which means not a nobody) and all the factions within the party, who is honest and capable. Not sure that person exists.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:25 am No new leader can come up with a decent financial plan by the 31 October date for the statement - they'll have only a few days in the job to do so. So whoever wins is going to have to accept Hunt as chancellor and stick with the plan he's coming up with.

It's entirely possible that the Tories could win the next election which is still 2 years away, and they'll all have that as their goal. In practice it's all but impossible; I think Boris is the only candidate who would appeal to the electorate but I don't think he could win a snap election, and given any time at all in the job I think memories of why he had to leave will come back.

Their best hope, and I don't think they're organised enough to achieve this, is to find a leader who appeals to the electorate (which means not a nobody) and all the factions within the party, who is honest and capable. Not sure that person exists.
Bob on. Especially the last bit. See Starmer as a prime example of the same problem. The only reason Lab are leading in the polls is because of the disarray in the Cons. It's taken until this happened, for Starmer to take Lab into a lead, and that's with everything that has gone on in the Tory party over the last 3 years.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Boris and Trump walk down the street, throwing high fives and pistol salutes to Back In Black.

Dave!