Bye Bye Boris!

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:35 am So if Jobbo got done for drink driving he would say im driving "not in accordance with the law"? No, you would be committing a specific offence of driving under the influence and no person in reality would say I was driving unlawfully rather than "I committed an illegal act".

I guess you can think of it as 'positive' versus 'negative' legality. The consequences which flow from it are generally different. An unlawful act can be quashed or set aside (hence why it is used in the area of administrative law) and an illegal act will generally have a prescribed punishment as a result of committing it.
You are attempting to conflate 'illegal' with committing a crime. Nobody would say I 'committed an illegal act' either, they'd say I committed a crime.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard Tice, Chairman of The Brexit Party Ltd., has conceded that we won’t be leaving in the 31st October.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am
GG. wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am

As much as I want that to happen, I agree. That’s why we need to have a 2nd referendum. I would suggest, as well as the structure I laid out earlier, it should also be made a legally binding referendum with an appropriate threshold for constitutional change and strict campaign rules.
That won't work in practice as your referendum will likely end up 48:52 one way or the other and be null and void, with the political mandate from the original one not being superseded.
No. The status quo is Remain, not the previous result of an advisory referendum.
I'm not sure it is currently. The status quo is that Parliament authorised the Art50 notification and now have rowed back a little, to say we won't leave without a deal, but the status quo is to leave with a deal.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:42 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am
GG. wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am

That won't work in practice as your referendum will likely end up 48:52 one way or the other and be null and void, with the political mandate from the original one not being superseded.
No. The status quo is Remain, not the previous result of an advisory referendum.
I'm not sure it is currently. The status quo is that Parliament authorised the Art50 notification and now have rowed back a little, to say we won't leave without a deal, but the status quo is to leave with a deal.
I probably have to reluctantly concede that point.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The problem is that we haven't agreed what our final relationship with the EU should be (May should never have agreed to doing it the cock-eyed way around). I can only see a compromise as putting this to bed for good (e.g. EFTA, assuming you can get there having resolved the Irish issue), as you try to appease both side and shut out the extremist nutters. I don't think a further referendum would provide such compromise, as you'd still end up with a notable proportion of the population feeling as though they've been shut out.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I don’t think we’ll ever get agreement on the future relationship.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Listening to the extremist nutters is what got us here in the first place.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:28 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am yes, but it asking what YOU want to happen. Everyone seems very happy with Boris failing, so I presume everyone also has a solution in mind for what they want to happen instead.
You asked the question; what do YOU want to happen?
Tbh, I want Maddie and Shergar to rock up and put an end to it.
your turn Jobbo.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Anyway, if nothing else, this might push Johnson out of front line politics; he's demonstrated, repeatedly, that he's dangerously incompetent at it - as he always has been.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am I don’t think we’ll ever get agreement on the future relationship.
Sadly I have to agree
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:28 am
You asked the question; what do YOU want to happen?
Tbh, I want Maddie and Shergar to rock up and put an end to it.
your turn Jobbo.
I want the second option I put forward. I've always said that Brexit is not a party political issue so a cross-party Government of National Unity, which would almost certainly lead to a second referendum, is the best solution for this country at the moment. I expect it would serve its purpose, get the second referendum result and then decide whether to call a general election or to implement Brexit in the least harmful way.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Is this a parody account?

Cummings has been the most likely man to achieve what Nigel always wanted.
Last edited by Jobbo on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:55 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 am Tbh, I want Maddie and Shergar to rock up and put an end to it.
your turn Jobbo.
I want the second option I put forward. I've always said that Brexit is not a party political issue so a cross-party Government of National Unity, which would almost certainly lead to a second referendum, is the best solution for this country at the moment. I expect it would serve its purpose, get the second referendum result and then decide whether to call a general election or to implement Brexit in the least harmful way.
For that to work you'd need Corbyn to stand aside or at the least not demand to lead it. Do we think that's likely?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:55 am I want the second option I put forward. I've always said that Brexit is not a party political issue so a cross-party Government of National Unity, which would almost certainly lead to a second referendum, is the best solution for this country at the moment. I expect it would serve its purpose, get the second referendum result and then decide whether to call a general election or to implement Brexit in the least harmful way.
For that to work you'd need Corbyn to stand aside or at the least not demand to lead it. Do we think that's likely?
It would only work if it was a PM supported generally by all parties, so it couldn't be Corbyn. Someone like Ken Clarke, perhaps.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

We should probably speculate on what will actually happen, not what we want to happen...

I don't think Boris will resign. I think he'll reluctantly extend and keep trying to call a general election, which I fear may end up happening and he may end up winning because the public still seem to like him and he can play the Brexit martyr. The new Parliament will still prevent No Deal and the whole thing will keep rolling until a few weeks before the next leaving date, when the next crisis will happen and cause a further extension.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

If a single party can’t agree a policy, I can’t see how a cross-party Government would. I fear that after many extensions, the EU would run out of patience or need to put in place some QE that results in the UK being kicked out without a Deal. Same end result, but with additional financial costs and even further extreme entrenched views between UK Remainers/Leavers.
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

And for RichB, I think the best leader of a major political party to lead us is BoJo; not that I think he is in any way competent. So, Conservative government and a 2nd Ref between Remain and No Deal Brexit. Effective the day after the result. This needs putting to bed, one way or the other.
Cheers,

Ian
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Parliament to resume tomorrow at 11:30.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

IanF wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm And for RichB, I think the best leader of a major political party to lead us is BoJo
...have you been watching the news at all :?