Bye Bye Boris!

GG.

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by GG. »

Good question. The answer to that is that each new government does customarily do this to set out their legislative agenda in a Queen's speech. Its arguably illegitimate not to do so as it doesn't allow the agenda to be debated and a vote on the speech passed by parliament. That plus the marginal extra pain it puts the remain side under to pass legislation or motions of no confidence was likely seen as worth it on balance.

Its hard to kick and scream that losing 4 days is an outrage when Corbyn has delayed bringing a motion of no confidence because he didn't think he's win it, the government of national [dis]unity can't decide on a leader because Corbyn is the antichrist to all but a small minority of MPs and they took no steps to curtail the summer recess to given themselves more time to act. Its all extremely hollow and the media coverage (as usual with such things) is not clear as to the actual effect that this action has had and getting confused and conflating this with what was talked about (i.e. proroguing over Brexit day) which hasn't actually happened.

All par for the course for the Brexit debate. Lots of hysteria and lots of confusion.
Last edited by GG. on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am If the impact is so insignificant GG, why bother with it in the first place? Why deal with the PR nightmare over such an insignificance?
1: It further ramps the stakes with the EU, in that he's reinforcing the idea that he's prepared to No Deal. That said, Katya Adler was on last night saying that they'd already started to take him seriously on that a couple of weeks ago.

2: It plays into his hands in the event of a GE. He's been putting the measures in place and making the right moves to ensure that we will leave on 31st Oct in some way, shape or form. This strengthens the vote by potentially bringing over Lab Leave voters, as well as nullifying the impact of the Brexit Party (although I'm sure they'd seek to work together anyway, as I'd expect Lab/Lib to also).

And it achieves both by only reducing sitting time by 4 days. 4 days that would likely have been wasted anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:12 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:59 am If the impact is so insignificant GG, why bother with it in the first place? Why deal with the PR nightmare over such an insignificance?
1: It further ramps the stakes with the EU, in that he's reinforcing the idea that he's prepared to No Deal. That said, Katya Adler was on last night saying that they'd already started to take him seriously on that a couple of weeks ago.

2: It plays into his hands in the event of a GE. He's been putting the measures in place and making the right moves to ensure that we will leave on 31st Oct in some way, shape or form. This strengthens the vote by potentially bringing over Lab Leave voters, as well as nullifying the impact of the Brexit Party (although I'm sure they'd seek to work together anyway, as I'd expect Lab/Lib to also).

And it achieves both by only reducing sitting time by 4 days. 4 days that would likely have been wasted anyway.
Laughable that they all had the Summer off when they care about Brexit so much isnt it :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I did enjoy a Brexit convo with a good mate of mine when I was in the UK this month - reminded me of this thread:

Me: I'm so fucking sick of Brexit, can't believe it hasn't been overturned yet
Him: I voted for Brexit, I want to escape from the laws Europe imposes on us
Me: OK interesting, which ones exactly?
Him: I don't know and I don't want to discuss it further
Me: Another pint then yeah?

:lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 am I did enjoy a Brexit convo with a good mate of mine when I was in the UK this month - reminded me of this thread:

Me: I'm so fucking sick of Brexit, can't believe it hasn't been overturned yet
Him: I voted for Brexit, I want to escape from the laws Europe imposes on us
Me: OK interesting, which ones exactly?
Him: I don't know and I don't want to discuss it further
Me: Another pint then yeah?

:lol:
I had a similar conversation with my neighbour at the weekend. He's 3 years younger and pretty much has the total opposite view to me on the whole thing but is still capable of understanding, as I am, that it's only opinion. At least now Sheffield Utd are in the Prem we can argue about football too (Liverpool fan).
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's amazing watching pro brexit people watch this shitshow happen and continue to go "yes, this is what I voted for".

TBH if I'd known at the time the plan was to smash the country to pieces and open up a space for revolution I might have voted for it in the first place :lol:.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 am It's amazing watching pro brexit people watch this shitshow happen and continue to go "yes, this is what I voted for".

TBH if I'd known at the time the plan was to smash the country to pieces and open up a space for revolution I might have voted for it in the first place :lol:.
It's also astounding that people would actively be negative not to sort out a situation they didn't want but their jobs are to actually do it. Bercow yesterday is an example of how these people are so egocentric they actually don't care. But then if your wife is shagging your cousin and you're not embarrassed it says a lot. :lol: :lol:
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am It's also astounding that people would actively be negative not to sort out a situation they didn't want but their jobs are to actually do it.
And that's the problem with idiots' perception of the situation - MPs' jobs are the represent the best interests of their constituencies and the countries across the full spectrum of issues, not to dogmatically pursue a minority extremists' interpretation of single marginal vote at the expense of everything else.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Presumably this extra time is more to do with negotiations and the EU council summit date rather than stopping parliament coming up with anything new? They’ve not come up with anything new in the last 3 years, so it’s not going to make any difference now.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's to stop people opposing no deal, which is the outcome that the people pulling Boris's strings want.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:07 am
Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am It's also astounding that people would actively be negative not to sort out a situation they didn't want but their jobs are to actually do it.
And that's the problem with idiots' perception of the situation - MPs' jobs are the represent the best interests of their constituencies and the countries across the full spectrum of issues, not to dogmatically pursue a minority extremists' interpretation of single marginal vote at the expense of everything else.
Last two posts. Shitshow, idiots. Lads I'm not engaging today. Use your time thinking about the ruse is actually to get a deal which is what we all want then we can worry about the high street collapsing even when are back spending or some other media hyped rubbish. Stockmarket is up over 1 percent today!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's ok Broccers, no one cares what you think.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am It's ok Broccers, no one cares what you think.
I know so sads.... but over 50 percent of the country agree with me on this one :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:12 am It's to stop people opposing no deal, which is the outcome that the people pulling Boris's strings want.
or to stop opposing it before the EU Council summit to strengthen negotiations?

The dates just seem too close to be a coincidence to me, and obviously they can’t declare that as the reason.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They're not interested in negotiating, it's no deal and selling off whatever we have to the Americans.

That's why the backstop was such a sticking point in the first place.

Now that we've got someone stupid enough to actually go through with leaving with no deal, that's what'll happen.
An absolute unit
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:25 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am It's ok Broccers, no one cares what you think.
I know so sads.... but over 50 percent of the country agree with me on this one :lol:
Not according to pretty much every poll conducted over the last wee while they don't.

Who the fuck would be stupid enough to vote through a No Deal, nobody said it was even an option, it was going to be the easiest deal in history according to the wankers who led us down this path, we were going to get a better deal as the EU needed us more than we did them.

Now it is "Oh well we go through World Wars, we can get through this" as if we would have voted to have a fucking WW. Get your head out you arse.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am They're not interested in negotiating, it's no deal and selling off whatever we have to the Americans.

Now that we've got someone stupid enough to actually go through with leaving with no deal, that's what'll happen.
You really think Johnson wants No Deal? I'm far from convinced on that one - he voted for May's deal ffs!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The only thing Boris wants is to be in the big chair. The people who put him there want no deal.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:40 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 am They're not interested in negotiating, it's no deal and selling off whatever we have to the Americans.

You really think Johnson wants No Deal? I'm far from convinced on that one - he voted for May's deal ffs!
He blows in the wind - all he wants is to leave, because then he will be lauded as the man who got us out of the EU and finally kill off Farage's theft of Tory voters.

He'll get No Deal because he can't bluster his way into persuading the EU to agree a deal. Alternatively, he may bluster his way into forcing May's deal through, which would be hilarious and thus unlikely.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 am
Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:25 am
Not according to pretty much every poll conducted over the last wee while they don't.

Who the fuck would be stupid enough to vote through a No Deal, nobody said it was even an option, it was going to be the easiest deal in history according to the wankers who led us down this path, we were going to get a better deal as the EU needed us more than we did them.

Now it is "Oh well we go through World Wars, we can get through this" as if we would have voted to have a fucking WW. Get your head out you arse.
3 years ago they might have thought they agreed with you, nowhere near that figure now.