Bye Bye Boris!

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Jobbo »

Starmer's biggest hurdle is absolutely his personal appeal to the electorate; as Theresa May found, you can't win an election just because people don't like the other lot. He does at least seem stable and confident, even if he's viewed as boring.

Having said that, plenty of people I know who have never voted anything but Tory have said they'll vote Labour next time. That's a massive step forward for them.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Anyone bringing Boris back is a huge risk. He's still under investigation from the Parliamentary standards committee, so he could be brought back as PM then excluded from the house for his lies about partygate.

I'd have thought he'd be more keen on doing the lecture circuit to be honest.

And we need a GE because no leader is standing on the manifesto that the Tories won the last GE on. If they wanna change the rules then get a new manifesto for it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

No leader ever stands on the manifesto they win a GE on :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK, so we're agreed, the whole 'you vote for a party, not a PM' argument is moot? And you need a GE after every PM change.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Boris is our Berlusconi.. he’ll be back because he’s probably the only politician a large percentage of the electorate can name.

Personally, I think Sunak with the public backing of BJ could win the next GE, or at least give them their greatest chance. So, BJ CotE/DPM for next 5 years or so, and then PM number 2.

I’m curious what the LD are standing for currently; do they have a manifesto out there?
Cheers,

Ian
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:32 pm OK, so we're agreed, the whole 'you vote for a party, not a PM' argument is moot? And you need a GE after every PM change.
That's not an argument - it's a fact.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:01 pm I'd have thought he'd be more keen on doing the lecture circuit to be honest.
That's what I don't understand - he's apparently very keen to stand, despite having just made £135,000 for one speech in the US.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:34 pm
Simon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:32 pm OK, so we're agreed, the whole 'you vote for a party, not a PM' argument is moot? And you need a GE after every PM change.
That's not an argument - it's a fact.
If the change of PM is down to external circumstances (so in BJ's case the partygate stuff) and the incoming PM is not changing manifesto just the name on the door it shouldn't require it. But if they are changing things it absolutely should demand it so that whoever is in power has the mandate from the people.

I would say WRT voting for a Party and not a PM it certainly helps a manifesto if your leader is liked, a good communicator and can debate well to get that manifesto and it's intricacies into the publics view.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:44 pm
Simon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:01 pm I'd have thought he'd be more keen on doing the lecture circuit to be honest.
That's what I don't understand - he's apparently very keen to stand, despite having just made £135,000 for one speech in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:47 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
True, true... :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I must admit I've had to re-read the Conservative election manifesto because to be honest I can't remember half the things they ran on to be able say they didn't stick to it. Amazed so many people are so clear minded about it (I'm sure nobody is just taking Starmer's word for it ;)).

In reality I don't think any political party can 100% stick to their manifesto unless it's extremely vague. If anyone can predict the economic conditions well enough to be certain they can spend X or tax Y in 4 years time then they must have a time machine. Manifestos I would imagine are based on the economic conditions of the time or a forecast. Certainly predicting the current global conditions in mid-2019 would have been an absolute impossibility.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Certainly not saying the government have done a good job, but for balance, very few regimes elected in 2019 would be flying right now. Equally no regime with any sense should be spending the kind of money they thought they would be spending in 2019. I hope that would apply to all the UK parties (although it was Corbyn :lol:).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Does starmer actually have any policies other than saying what the tories are doing isn’t good enough and they’ll de better without ever saying what they would do or how they would fund it?

You’d think it would be hard to do worse, but as we’ve seen, not impossible.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

johnsonmemory.jpg
johnsonmemory.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

You could almost believe this has all been scripted to remove Boris for a bit then bringing him back as a ‘hero’. His “I’ll be back” let the cat out of the bag!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Let's get Boris back to make sure we get a change of government at the next GE and meanwhile can we temporarily put Trump back in the Whitehouse because he's the only leader who's erratic and unpredictable enough to make Putin back down a little.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

the public wants what the public gets
but I don't get what this society wants
Written about a previous tory government, sadly some things don't age.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Gavster wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:29 pm Let's get Boris back to make sure we get a change of government at the next GE and meanwhile can we temporarily put Trump back in the Whitehouse because he's the only leader who's erratic and unpredictable enough to make Putin back down a little.
You might well get your wish on this, if there's 100 MPs stupid enough to support Boris you can be sure as shit the party membership are stupid enough (and dare I say it racist enough) to elect him over Sunak.

The result being more farce and eventual collapse of the party into oblivion. Which is no more than they deserve really. They have a clear opportunity to settle all this down, but if turkeys start voting for Christmas...