Bye Bye Boris!

ZedLeg

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by ZedLeg »

It's not government investment in green energy that's got us to the point where the energy network isn't fit for purpose, it's the 40 years of prioritising profit over improvement. Same with public transport and telecomms.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The government is supposed to secure the safety and security of the country, they failed to do that by letting us fall behind in our energy supplies.

Dave!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:19 pm Rather than something sensible like, I dunno, get homes insulated, put out solar panels and grants to the most needy?
Offering grants for panels on every house and exisiting large buildings instead of putting them in fields that are better untilised for farming (and interfere with the natural heat cycles of the ground because they block the sun in vast areas) along with investment (Sodium Ion development) and grants for battery storage systems would be a start IMO. Manadating every new build must have a solar and battery system might be a good idea as well.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:49 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:19 pm Rather than something sensible like, I dunno, get homes insulated, put out solar panels and grants to the most needy?
Offering grants for panels on every house and exisiting large buildings instead of putting them in fields that are better untilised for farming (and interfere with the natural heat cycles of the ground because they block the sun in vast areas) along with investment (Sodium Ion development) and grants for battery storage systems would be a start IMO. Manadating every new build must have a solar and battery system might be a good idea as well.
All of this. I read recently that in some EU countries (Belgium and Germany were mentioned) it's now also mandatory for any new-build to have a rainwater harvesting and storage system, with the minimum requirement being capacity to store 2500l.

This is simple stuff to introduce, and reduce the burden on the infrastructure.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:33 pm The government is supposed to secure the safety and security of the country, they failed to do that by letting us fall behind in our energy supplies.

Dave!
Successive governments, to be precise. This has been a problem many decades in the making, largely because Governments don't want to make long term strategic decisions that might piss off a few voters.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:01 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:33 pm The government is supposed to secure the safety and security of the country, they failed to do that by letting us fall behind in our energy supplies.

Dave!
Successive governments, to be precise. This has been a problem many decades in the making, largely because Governments don't want to make long term strategic decisions that might piss off a few voters.
Completely agree, I think it was something like 10 years to build a nuclear station so this should always have been a priority a long time ago.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Dave!
Completely agree, I think it was something like 10 years to build a nuclear station so this should always have been a priority a long time ago.

Dave!
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:53 am It's not government investment in green energy that's got us to the point where the energy network isn't fit for purpose, it's the 40 years of prioritising profit over improvement. Same with public transport and telecomms.
;)
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:46 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Dave!
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:53 am It's not government investment in green energy that's got us to the point where the energy network isn't fit for purpose, it's the 40 years of prioritising profit over improvement. Same with public transport and telecomms.
;)
Wink all you like, they never should have allowed so much renewable energy to be built, it’s laughable how silly a decision it was.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don’t completely disagree tbh but it’s part of the same problem. The policy was built around short term gain for the people putting up the wind turbines or installing solar panels rather than any thought to long term planning.

As Swerve said further up. Changing building regs to make new build housing more self sufficient regarding energy and water usage is a good idea.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:22 pm I don’t completely disagree tbh but it’s part of the same problem. The policy was built around short term gain for the people putting up the wind turbines or installing solar panels rather than any thought to long term planning.

As Swerve said further up. Changing building regs to make new build housing more self sufficient regarding energy and water usage is a good idea.
4 years isn’t long enough to have ideas work aswell, even if they have been in power for 10 it was never agreed and that must alter what they end up doing.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Typically bullish speech from Boris. Presented all together and nicely polished, his Government does come across like it’s achieved plenty.

But in this polarised world of personality, if you like the guy, he did alright under the circumstances, if you don’t it’s “lies lies lies… what about the hedgerows Boris eh??”

Anyhoo, he’s gone now so fresh starts all round.
Last edited by dinny_g on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Poor Nadine, I assume she’s retiring to her boudoir to write a new novel about a women’s unrequited love for the honey monster.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:31 am Poor Nadine, I assume she’s retiring to her boudoir to write a new novel about a women’s unrequited love for the honey monster.
If nothing else comes out of this whole process, Dorries and Patel fvcking off will still be a massive win :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 am
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:31 am Poor Nadine, I assume she’s retiring to her boudoir to write a new novel about a women’s unrequited love for the honey monster.
If nothing else comes out of this whole process, Dorries and Patel fvcking off will still be a massive win :lol:
Spitting Image is going to be far far duller though !!

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:37 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:22 pm I don’t completely disagree tbh but it’s part of the same problem. The policy was built around short term gain for the people putting up the wind turbines or installing solar panels rather than any thought to long term planning.

4 years isn’t long enough to have ideas work aswell, even if they have been in power for 10 it was never agreed and that must alter what they end up doing.

Dave!
They’ve been in government for over 12 years; Cameron became PM in May 2010.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:41 pm
V8Granite wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:37 pm

Dave!
They’ve been in government for over 12 years; Cameron became PM in May 2010.
What I mean is I wonder what each party would do if they knew they had a 10 year span after being voted in. Would they implement things knowing even if the outcome would be good but the short term would be unpopular they’d do it. It seems the final
Year in office is just trying to secure another term.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

12 years ago, mentioning multiple new Nuclear plants would lose you a GE based in Nimbyism...

Now, with the energy crisis, £6k a year potential bills has people thinking "Hmmm, Let's not be too hasty..."
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

OT but that pic just reminded me of a story that may or may not be true - some time ago Morrissey had a car restored and for a jape the mechanics mis-wired the dash to ensure there was a light that never went out.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:12 am OT but that pic just reminded me of a story that may or may not be true - some time ago Morrissey had a car restored and for a jape the mechanics mis-wired the dash to ensure there was a light that never went out.
With the follow-up single being 'there is a car where the battery drains'.