Green Laning report

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Green Laning report

Post by Jobbo »

I thought you had saved me the write up there 😂

That was a great day out. Enjoyed the Stirrup Cup for lunch; nice pint of HPA.

Anyway, Jimmy in a Jimny running away from enthusiastic cows:

Jimmy in a Jimny at a jaunty angle on a rather nice lane just before lunch:
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

Thread resurrection. Simon I would be interested in a green lane adventure in my 90 next time you're out and about. My local lane (Ridgeway) has been truncated by HS2.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Absolutely Clive. Will let you know; it’ll be spring because I’m not into destroying the surface and getting stuck in winter weather.
__CA__

Post by __CA__ »

Great. Spring is OK with me because the 90 is a bit draughty in winter (canvas top) :D
Marv

Post by Marv »

Didn't realise that you can view Ordinance Survey maps through Bing Maps.

Handy for looking up BOATs 👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
John

Post by John »

I've got the OS maps app on my phone, very handy for when I'm out on the mountain bike and the maps can be downloaded beforehand for offline use too.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Marv wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:06 pm Didn't realise that you can view Ordinance Survey maps through Bing Maps.

Handy for looking up BOATs 👍
BOATs and UCRs can be subject to TROs and DMMOs so the OS map isn’t up to date or definitive. Worth joining GLASS to access Trailwise2, which has far more info about those lanes and their current status.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

"in 2006 we lost over 50% of the green roads that we used to be able to drive " :shock:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They’re still disappearing - I had a notification today of a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) application which was made in mid-December to remove vehicular rights from a really nice lane I’ve driven a few times, including with Jimmy last year. I’ll be contributing my objection within the (mere) 6 week response period.

Shame there are so many different factions with slightly different interests in public rights of way. The ramblers and horse riders don’t want to meet trail bikes and 4x4s but fail to realise how limited the legal lanes are becoming - they have plenty of bridleways and footpaths to use. It would be great if there were more mutual support from common interest.

Legally public rights of way should never be extinguished, so it’s a worry that local authorities are so willing to change them now.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hey @Jobbo, whilst we're on the subject, what are the rights of horses with respect to footpaths etc? Across the back of my house is a cylce/footpath (signposted as such) but it's always obliterated to hell by shitting horses (literally) making it a pretty unpleasant place to walk for the hundreds of people who use it every day (it's one of the main walking/cycling routes through the estate, and officially part of NCR 21).

Cheers.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Don't be such a townie :lol:, a bit of horse manure on your shoe isn't going to hurt you and it's great for the soil.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, that once unfertile parking spot is now great for planting potatas.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I will admit that is a bit cunty as it makes the pavement slippery. We get it on our street from police horses whenever there's something on at Hampden.

It's not the same as dog shit though, which is toxic and fucking stinks.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It is impressively cuntily aimed!

I get why they don't clean up, not just because it's not toxic like dog eggs, but can you imagine the fun they'd have trying to hold a horse calmly while clearing up a load of shit on a busy carpark! But it's still pretty antisocial leaving crap everywhere like the lord of the manor.
Simon

Post by Simon »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:27 am Don't be such a townie :lol:, a bit of horse manure on your shoe isn't going to hurt you and it's great for the soil.
No soil on the tarmac footpath, and yes it makes the footpath like a slip and side when it's wet. And it's hard not to be a 'townie' when I literally live in a town. Plus it goes on the little'uns balance bike/scooter/push chair wheels which then goes into the house.

Pulling no punches, it's fucking antisocial, unpleasant, selfish and cunty behaviour. If they want to ride their shit makers there are literally fields surrounding the entire estate rather than them spoiling the main foot and bike thoroughfare through it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:21 am Hey @Jobbo, whilst we're on the subject, what are the rights of horses with respect to footpaths etc? Across the back of my house is a cylce/footpath (signposted as such) but it's always obliterated to hell by shitting horses (literally) making it a pretty unpleasant place to walk for the hundreds of people who use it every day (it's one of the main walking/cycling routes through the estate, and officially part of NCR 21).

Cheers.
Horses are not permitted on footpaths unless they are also bridleways. But that is also generally the case for bicycles and you refer to it being a cycle route too. So it may have a right for horses to use it - hard to tell, and you’d need to look at your local authority’s definitive map to be sure. Unhelpfully the definitive map is not an online thing 🙁
Simon

Post by Simon »

Cheers Simon. This 'definitive map' - how would I get to see it?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You have to go along to your local authority and see it in person - some have an online copy but it’ll be old so can’t be relied on. The physical map sits along with Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) and DMMOs that I mentioned before so you need to look at everything for a properly up to date answer.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:38 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:21 am Hey @Jobbo, whilst we're on the subject, what are the rights of horses with respect to footpaths etc? Across the back of my house is a cylce/footpath (signposted as such) but it's always obliterated to hell by shitting horses (literally) making it a pretty unpleasant place to walk for the hundreds of people who use it every day (it's one of the main walking/cycling routes through the estate, and officially part of NCR 21).

Cheers.
Horses are not permitted on footpaths unless they are also bridleways. But that is also generally the case for bicycles and you refer to it being a cycle route too. So it may have a right for horses to use it - hard to tell, and you’d need to look at your local authority’s definitive map to be sure. Unhelpfully the definitive map is not an online thing 🙁
They claim to be "definitive maps" on the Suffolk County Council website, but the majority of them are from the late 1980s or early 1990s 😂

https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/roads-and-tr ... ts-of-way/

I've had a look at the majority of the Byways Open To All Traffic roads in about a 25 mile radius of from where I live, by looking at the Bing maps, then using Street view to view the entrance/exit. The majority of them dont allow cars or motorcycles unless you have a permit 😬
Oui, je suis un motard.