BBQs

Simon

Re: BBQs

Post by Simon »

Currently sitting outside finishing off the meat from Friday on another BBQ. Tastes better today for some reason, after being frozen then thawed.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Inspired by Simon I cleaned the gas Weber yesterday morning and have done bacon on it yesterday and today for breakfast.

Saw an identical Genesis II ex-display for £899 in Stratford on Avon garden centre a few weeks ago, so I am sure there are still deals to be found. Think I paid £699 three years ago.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Went into a couple of local garden centres yesterday and the price of BBQs seemed very high. Well into 4 figures for a nice Weber gas model (couldn't remember which). Seems the price of everything is crazy at the mo.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Cooked a leg of lamb on the BBQ today, lamb is so good long and slow over indirect heat, I rarely cook it any other way
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Gavster wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:03 pm Cooked a leg of lamb on the BBQ today, lamb is so good long and slow over indirect heat, I rarely cook it any other way
I concur! 😁
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Yo, BBQ people, what's the best way to cook four reasonably sized lamb shanks on my (gas naturally) BBQ? I was thinking wrap in foil and leave on for a long time with the lid down, then sear at the end, but now I'm not so sure. Googling provides a lot of methods... I'm very much a beginner so nothing too crazy please!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I'd probably not cook them on the bbq, so if you want to do that I shall not offer any advice :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:14 pm I'd probably not cook them on the bbq, so if you want to do that I shall not offer any advice :lol:
Yeah, oven then finish em off on the BBQ seems the safest option! I usually cook them for eight hours plus in the slow cooker!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I used to do a bit of low and slow on my gas before I got the smoker. I used foil tray things under the grills for a water bath, and then it's just a case of doing it on the indirect side. You can throw in a box of wood for some smoke too.

The hardest bit I found was regulating the temperature with gas, but it can certainly be done pretty effectively.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:40 pm Yo, BBQ people, what's the best way to cook four reasonably sized lamb shanks on my (gas naturally) BBQ? I was thinking wrap in foil and leave on for a long time with the lid down, then sear at the end, but now I'm not so sure. Googling provides a lot of methods... I'm very much a beginner so nothing too crazy please!
I'd do it the other way round. Season and stick them on at the other end from the burners. Get some colour and smoke into them (if your using a smoker box). Then once they hit 160f tightly wrap in foil and continue to 205f ish or probe tender.
This way, it's cooking in it's juices and you're saving them as the fat starts to render.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I need a small gas bbq, before i lose days looking at reviews shall i just buy a Weber?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Carlos wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:03 pm I need a small gas bbq before i lose days looking at reviews shall i just buy a Weber?
I could be in the market too

We have a smallish Weber charcoal one

That we never use

Because it's a PITA (it takes time and effort, it's not adjustable, and it's not really big enough to do indirect cooking of more than a couple of sausages at a time etc)

So yes, charcoal may be 'better' than gas, but only if you use the bloody thing
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Carlos wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:03 pm I need a small gas bbq, before i lose days looking at reviews shall i just buy a Weber?
Yes.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I enjoy the faff of charcoal and will still use the kettle and go anywhere but the wife wants something we can cook on quickly.

A Spirit ii e210 gbs for £455 ordered.

Hopefully it'll turn up this weekend!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Efficiently done. 8-)

I got my Genesis ii nearly 4 years ago, and it looks like new. You can see why they give out long warranties.

I would recommend getting a Weber cover for it if you can, they're really well made, make it all look neat, and I'm sure will prolong the lifespan too.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Had the Spirit 2 for a month now and it's been used every weekend sometimes 3 times a day. Mainly for grilling sausages, burgers and chicken, it's clearly convenient as we've been using it more than once a day although I'm slightly disappointed my son reckons there's no taste difference between gas and charcoal! :D

Plenty of grill space for 4 people but if I was getting one for the garden I'd go for a 3 burner at a minimum if you intend to entertain.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

IIRC Mik puts us 3-burner Weber whores to shame with 4-burners.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:04 pm IIRC Mik puts us 3-burner Weber whores to shame with 4-burners.
You nose it 8-)

I very rarely require it's full capacity however :?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I roasted a big Sirloin joint on the BBQ today. Indirect heat, Applewood and Whiskey Barrel smoke and this really nice Gaucho rub.

It was absolutely gorgeous 🤤
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…