BBQs

Carlos

Re: BBQs

Post by Carlos »

My next door neighbour has had a small 2 burner Outback jobby for 5 years and seems quite pleased with it.

He's just replaced the cover and the grill itself has held up well for a £150 ish item.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Anyone have any success with a pizza stone or pizza attachment for the BBQ rather than going down the Ooni/Roccbox route ?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm Anyone have any success with a pizza stone or pizza attachment for the BBQ rather than going down the Ooni/Roccbox route ?
I've one of these Cast Iron Skillets

I've used it on the BBQ before to great effect, and that's on an Outback Flamer BBQ, which often gets so hot you can't get near it. Works best if you can find some sort of lid for it - like a wok lid or upturned wok. I think I even used the garden incernator lid once with some foil to block the chimney

I also use this for indoor oven pizzas, break baking, crepes etc, etc. Considerably more robust and versatile than a pizza stone.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That's an option and I've got a ceramic pizza stone which I could try on the grill but on the Weber the grate sits 100mm below the BBQ base so not easy to get the peel in there to get the pizza out.

I'll have a look on ewetube as well.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

TBH once it's cooked I find you don't really need a peel. I generally do use the peel, but sometimes I will use a large silicone turner/spatula which is big enough to take the load of the pizza.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Wish I’d bought a Weber when I talked about it now. My Outback is at least 12 years old and one of the burners fell off when I lit it first time this year, last weekend. The others have clearly got a fair bit of rust blocking the holes 😆

It’s had a good innings, and I’m glad I just burnt off the winter crud rather than stripping and cleaning it only for it to start falling apart 😃
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

A bit of Evonomics could get you looking at Traeger or the new Weber pellet grills.

The taste of Charcoal with the convenience of Gas they say 😂😏
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve got enough wood now to build another picnic table with bbq attached to the side. Only thing is I don’t have a BBQ but there’s a 15 year old rusty heap that might be acceptable with some major surgery and if I sand it down and repaint it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

A big jobbie or an integrated kettle ?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Depends on how salvageable the old BBQ is, if so it’s quite big and I’ll mount it on the side so it takes the full width of the table. Integrated is too risky with a wooden table although I did have a plan to stick some cinder blocks into the table so it’s flush with it and use it for a disposable bbq if plan A doesn’t work. Might still do that but for a Kelly’s Kettle type thing if the BBQ can be made to work.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:41 pm
Carlos wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm Anyone have any success with a pizza stone or pizza attachment for the BBQ rather than going down the Ooni/Roccbox route ?
I've one of these Cast Iron Skillets

I've used it on the BBQ before to great effect, and that's on an Outback Flamer BBQ, which often gets so hot you can't get near it. Works best if you can find some sort of lid for it - like a wok lid or upturned wok. I think I even used the garden incernator lid once with some foil to block the chimney

I also use this for indoor oven pizzas, break baking, crepes etc, etc. Considerably more robust and versatile than a pizza stone.
Good plan. I did a pizza in the BBQ straight on the grill. It got quite crispy on the bottom but it was overall a success. I think the BBQ was up to 500 deg F so it was only a few minutes to cook it.
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’ve given up on Pizza Stones on the BBQ. I can never get the wet dough and toppings onto the hot stone.

I use heavy duty tin foil, stab it loads with a fork to let air in and build the pizza on the foil.

I can drop the coals down on my BBQ so everything cooks evenly. Plenty of wood smoke - maple is lovely - helps the flavour
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ah, mine was a ready made pizza to be fair :D
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am I’ve given up on Pizza Stones on the BBQ. I can never get the wet dough and toppings onto the hot stone.

I use heavy duty tin foil, stab it loads with a fork to let air in and build the pizza on the foil.

I can drop the coals down on my BBQ so everything cooks evenly. Plenty of wood smoke - maple is lovely - helps the flavour
Before I had a peel (get one if you make them regularly!) I'd shape a piece of foil to the skillet first, leaving some at each side as "handles" and then build the pizza up on the foil. Then just place pizza on foil on to the hot skillet.

Semolina flour and a wooden peel make life a hell of a lot easier though.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I use the weber pizza stone and there's a couple of points to note:

1) Where the instructions say pre-heat the stone, only use fresh pizzas with thin bases and very little topping else it won't cook. It'll take 3-6 minutes to cook if at the right temperature.

2) When doing a frozen pizza don't pre-heat the stone, aim for 180C and let it cook slowly

Use plenty - excessive amounts - of flour to stop the pizza sticking to the stone. Arrange your coals to be directly under the stone and not indirect because doing it that way the centre of the pizza won't cook.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Semolina as a lube on the stone seems a common recommendation.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sorry but sticking a frozen pizza in a pizza oven - GTFO :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Carlos wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 pm Semolina as a lube on the stone seems a common recommendation.
Yep. You need it for the dough and the lube. I don't even bother cleaning my skillet of the cooked/burnt semolina unless I need to use it for pancakes
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 pm Sorry but sticking a frozen pizza in a pizza oven - GTFO :lol:
I’ve only found one frozen pizza that’s actually worth it, tastes nicer than a Dominos pizza its that good, otherwise it’s fresh only.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So I made a start on the picnic table mit BBQ on the side.
Scrap wood picnic table done
It weighs a tonne as it’s all wet wood.
Tomorrow I need to figure out how to mount this on the side
The bottom half is rotten but I don’t need that bit anyway, the top half is ok.