The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by Rich B »

Now I’m a BMW man, through and through, so my natural assumption would be that eventually an F10 M5 would replace the M3. But then a guy at work who had a 2011 S5 just turned up in his new 2015 RS6 with akropovic exhaust and 750bhp...

So much want. Reading reviews just adds to this - 0-100mph under 7 seconds... Auto trader searching says they start mid £40ks and up. Maybe when they’re £30k....🤥
dinny_g

Re: The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm 750bhp...
Wibble... 8-)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Marv

Post by Marv »

Cars that are of interest to me right now are:

Caterham 7
Lotus Elise S1
Audi R8, early V8 (potential CSL replacement)
1960s Fiat 500
Citroen DS

Less realistically:

Alpine A110
Cayman GT4 (would have to sell the 968 and M3, the thought does pop into my head every now and then, but I doubt I'd ever do it!)

That all said, I'll probably just question whether I even like cars and get a motorbike ;)
Oui, je suis un motard.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

My idle "what next" is a faster Mustang of some form, as if my first one isn't quick enough as it is. I'm thinking either a used Shelby GT350 as a project to get it back to good original condition or an 18MY+ to get the A10 gearbox, Shelby Chassis parts and do that as a project adding some additional Chassis tweaks and supercharging it to 700bhp-ish. Either one would become a sprint and track day car.

Or buying a used Fiesta ST and running that as a track and sprint hack for a fraction of the price. Either way I need a big garage.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Right now I’m very seriously considering a UK-spec Camaro as a daily after the Golf. If not, I’ll get another Golf (or whatever performance bargain is available for £300/month on lease) and maybe go and find a proper late 60s/early 70s muscle car in the US, drive it around for a couple of weeks and then ship it home. Or if not a muscle car, then definitely a wood-panelled station wagon.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Thoughts of something 'toyish' to complement the Mondeo. No, not the Puma. P'raps an RX8 or something similarly cheap, smallish, nippy and definitely RWD.

No plans, of course. But I am finding that the size of the Mondeo does blunt it on backroads. It takes more than I expected to make it start losing body control, but it's more 'can be hustled' than 'enjoys being hustled'. Hence smallish; no point getting another 1500kg car that'll get flustered on tight, bumpy roads once you start caning it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Marv wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 pm
As if you'd sell a car Marv!

Not really thinking of anything but the 7 at the moment. I would like a better daily, but in the end I just think of it as money I'd rather be spending on the 7.
mik

Post by mik »

I always really struggle to think of "what next" unless it is imminent. Otherwise it would annoy me. :?

I really had no idea what I was going to replace the VXR8 with until I suddenly realised the late-teen sprogs were so rarely both in the car with me now that I could get something more focussed..... so my considerations changed quite radically.

I plan to keep the Evora for the forseeable, and the F-Pace performs current family-car duties superbly. Part of me keeps thinking about upping the power of the Lotus, but then I drive it on the type of road that really gets me buzzing (like the A93 or A939) and am starkly reminded that the power is only one element of the overall package, and start to question the worth of spending the bucks. (circa £3k for an extra 40bhp, or £5k for an extra 80bhp.....).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Absolutely no idea.

I don't really get the need to move on up / newer. I'd just like what we have got to all be tidier and working.

Next to go will probably be the e46, it's the rustiest and least reliable of the lot and guzzles oil despite not leaking it or ever giving visible smoke. Mrs reckons she would be quite happy with a mini or fiat 500 to run about in ( she loves taking the lupo out for a razz ) but I think she'd miss the practicality. Plus it would mean we'd have to use my m3 for longer family outings which it's not best suited for since I started sticking bits on it.

I think the next couple of years will be spent tidying up some loose ends in the fleet, and getting rid of the scrap I don't need.

In an ideal world I'd get someone to do a mini resto / respray on the e30, turn the e36 into a track toy, stick a 328i lump into the compact and keep that as the daily driver, stick a 1.8t into the mk2 and a few creature comforts so the mrs can use that daily, crack on with the 1.8 / brm / 1.1c hybrid.

And the camper? Errrr... retirement project?
Cheers, Harry
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I want a C43 Estate...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Marv wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 pm Cars that are of interest to me right now are:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Was thinking about a used GT86 but they’re still asking way too much for them. Maybe once they’re sub £8k for a sensible mileage one since I would probably need to spend quite a bit to turn it into what I want.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Problem with 5+ year old RS4/6's is I expect the bills to massive. Or a massive warranty. I still want to own another RS model, but I've yet to find one that I can either afford to buy or afford to run ;)

I'm keeping the Bora as the daily hack, and it's either Evora or quicker Elise SC, cause I still maintain they're unbeatable as a second car (I'm also leaving an outside shot for a 981 Cayman/Boxster)
Mito Man wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 pm Was thinking about a used GT86 but they’re still asking way too much for them. Maybe once they’re sub £8k for a sensible mileage one since I would probably need to spend quite a bit to turn it into what I want.
A mate at work has just bought a GT86. I was far more impressed than I expected.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

If a manual V10 R8 ever came up for sale here, I'd be tempted. That's about as much as I hanker after these days.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 pm Was thinking about a used GT86 but they’re still asking way too much for them. Maybe once they’re sub £8k for a sensible mileage one since I would probably need to spend quite a bit to turn it into what I want.
I don't know what the price is, but a mate is selling his Litchfield BRZ if you're interested in a bit of evonomics.;)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I just want to get the 500e back to a high standard and then use it for a fair weather toy.

I’d like to replace the ML with an estate but know the practicality with the dog won’t be there. So the next family bus should be a diesel of some kind. I will then look at ML63 6.2s again and inevitably buy a minty one and ignore the running costs. That engine is a masterpiece.

Dave!
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I want a Swift Sport 5dr or maybe a FN2 Civic Type R to replace the Peugeot.

And a Citroen C6 to replace the Volvo in my head, but as that would be very foolish I think it will stay there :lol:

They are very cool though.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

V8Granite wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:19 am I just want to get the 500e back to a high standard and then use it for a fair weather toy.
Dave!
You've been saying that for forever now mate; is it getting any closer or is life still proving to be an obstacle?
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Wed May 02, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:55 am
I don't know what the price is, but a mate is selling his Litchfield BRZ if you're interested in a bit of evonomics.;)
I can’t as I’m still lubing up for the £7k needed to take the Defender over to Bowler.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There isn't really anything new I want. Current plans are still to find a decent sized lock up/workshop space here and get a bike and a muscle car. Maybe get an old Land Rover again. I've got a hankering for a something big, old and German as well. E23 7 series or W126 S-Class, just depends on whether I find one I like.

Just the usual game of what kind of crap can I fill my life with that I usually play :lol:.

It's all on the back burner just now anyway as we've just booked to go back to Japan for 5 weeks at the end of the year.
An absolute unit