Family holiday location in the UK?

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Family holiday location in the UK?

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am Aberdeen to Porthleven is nearly 700 miles, and Google Maps reckons 11hr 46m. That's a mission; and you pass Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol on the motorway for the full traffic jam experience.

I'd rather fly to Brittany and hire a car. While I like Devon and Cornwall, it's not nice enough to justify a journey time which would get you to Vegas. Not when you're dragging the kids with you, anyway.
You can currently fly direct Aberdeen-Newquay. On Flybe. Hence "currently" :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Aberdeen - Manchester - Newquay with Flybe, and then hire a car?

ETA - Like Merv said 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:46 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:32 am North west coast of Wales has some stunning beaches, is closer to Scotland, and cheaper / quieter. Could be a good shout.
This would get my vote. Somewhere on the Llyn Peninsula like Abersoch. Loads of beaches, close to Snowdonia, and plenty of castles for when it inevitably rains. We go to Porthmadog a lot which gives you all of the above plus 2 steam railways and easy access to Portmeirion.
Oooh, Porthmadog is nice. Went there a lot as a child, particularly because Dad and I were a big fan of steam.

Used to go loads - sometimes late at night in in the summer and have a bbq on the beach and do tyre skids in the sand.
Roads were deserted heading back at 2a.m as well 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 am Newquay isnt all that bad really as a base anyway - stayed here just before xmas and it was great https://www.headlandhotel.co.uk/
Thought the name of that hotel rang a bell. I used to play rugby with the son of the owners years ago. Always meant to take a trip down there but never got round to it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

GG. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm
Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 am Newquay isnt all that bad really as a base anyway - stayed here just before xmas and it was great https://www.headlandhotel.co.uk/
Thought the name of that hotel rang a bell. I used to play rugby with the son of the owners years ago. Always meant to take a trip down there but never got round to it.
Fab location. Breakfast is sat watching waves https://photos.app.goo.gl/UG9s5Ce9qRR8SpPZA
John

Post by John »

I’ve done the Newquay-Gatwick flight a couple of times, Newquay airport is more like a private flying club in a shed :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Is Newquay acceptable now ??

Both times I've been before it's been a real filthy shitehole - I mean "racist graffiti, overflowing bins, dodging vomit on the pavement" filthy shitehole.

Like Blackpool without the roller-coasters ... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Apparently it's elitist to think that, Dinny. But yes, it's a hole.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Thought so...

That hotel looks nice though
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Only been once, in the off season. It didn't seem quite that bad, but I wouldn't rush to go back. If you want to stay somewhere down there that's got great views, and that's rammed to the gills, St. Ives is much, much nicer.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Watergate Bay good too.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm Is Newquay acceptable now ??
Ive a group of friends who live there - its not that bad unless you class Newquay as just a bunch of shops, pubs and clubs then maybe it is - but its more than that. :lol:

This is just a stroll away https://www.instagram.com/explore/locat ... /crantock/
Marv

Post by Marv »

tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:52 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
IanF wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm Aldeburgh is lovely
Meh, everyone banged on about Aldeburgh, clearly the better known spot, but we did a day there and decided Southwold was superior by quite some margin.

Snape Maltings defo worth a visit though.
Aldeburgh is so new money.

You're all wrong. Cove Hithe for the beach, Southwold for the chips.
Aldeburgh is a day visit, nothing more. Fish and chips at Aldeburgh are bloody good though.
Oui, je suis un motard.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Everywhere's shit so go wherever's cheapest

or has a lockdown procedure.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

We've rented a cottage by the sea in Woolacombe for Easter as we've a new puppy that can't yet come overseas. The price of holidaying in the UK is hideous. I can't wait until he can get a passport & we can go to Europe again.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Broccers wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:38 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:01 pm Is Newquay acceptable now ??
Ive a group of friends who live there - its not that bad unless you class Newquay as just a bunch of shops, pubs and clubs then maybe it is - but its more than that. :lol:

This is just a stroll away https://www.instagram.com/explore/locat ... /crantock/
Newquay itself has pockets of good surrounded by the mediocre -
Town beach always has warmer water than nearby beaches because it’s sheltered, the Harbour Restaurant is very good, The Boathouse is tired but serves great fish (the fisherman drop in when they’ve caught something interesting and have a cup of tea while selling it to the owner), The Fish House at Fistral, cafe above Watershed, Pavillon Bakery etc. A half decent cinema for rainy days also.
I’d stay in Crantock though, as the village is nice, the beach and dunes are great whatever the weather, and The Albion Pub is a decent local.
You can hire a car straight from Newquay Airport.
John

Post by John »

Crantock is really nice. I've been going there since I was knee high and still visit when I can.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

We’re at Butlins Skegness this week. Not recommended. We usually go the static caravan route but MrsREV got a deal on this. We’ve done a couple of Christmas weekends here but being here for 5 days is too long with not enough to do and the accommodation isn’t comfortable enough, despite upgrading. I wasn’t expecting much and it failed to even meet that expectation. Having said that, if you’re less misanthropic than us, you might enjoy more of the group activities.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 am Having said that, if you’re less misanthropic than us, you might enjoy more of the group activities.
<shudders>
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You lost me at 'Butlins Skegness' tbh 😂