Mental Health

nuttinnew

Re: Mental Health

Post by nuttinnew »

Hopefully it'll translate into more/better resilience over the next couple of months.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:07 pm
Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm Damn my mental health is poop today :| Was glad to get through November as I always get a seasonal low mood, especially around my birthday. Now it feels like I'd simply been holding everything in and today it's all decided to come out :shock:

Anyway, the fact it's coming out is a good thing, kinda like an emotional purge.
Are you having emotional diarrhea? :shock:

I used to just not process stuff at all and stick it in a box and ignore it. I work hard to not do that any more but I can understand how rough an unboxing can be.
If that means having little control over when stuff comes out then yes :lol:

Gonna go to the pool and have a big swim. Swimming is great because the no.1 concern on my mind is making sure I breathe air, not water, so it's a great distraction.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:51 pm Damn my mental health is poop today :| Was glad to get through November as I always get a seasonal low mood, especially around my birthday.
Hope you feel better soon dude.

And HBYOC.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:36 pm Gonna go to the pool and have a big swim. Swimming is great because the no.1 concern on my mind is making sure I breathe air, not water, so it's a great distraction.
On of my friends has an extremely stressful job and when he started getting depressive episodes started open water swimming. He credits it with getting him back onto an even keel and keeping him there.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Thanks guys. Had enough of this stuff to know that "the only way out is through" :x

@Jimmy Choo Wild swimmers, especially in winter, are a different breed. I once hung out with the swimmers at Hampstead Pond, guys who swim every day of the year and without fail every single one had experienced some major traumatic life event, like being hit by a bus and being in a coma for weeks, going blind etc. Really seems to help them.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Long before Cold Water swimming became ‘cool and ‘a thing’ , my Aunt would swim every day of the year, without fail, in the Atlantic off the west coast of Ireland.

Walk a mile and a half to the beach, swim, walk home.

She only stopped in her mid sixties when the walk bit of it became an issue
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:55 pm Long before Cold Water swimming became ‘cool and ‘a thing’ , my Aunt would swim every day of the year, without fail, in the Atlantic off the west coast of Ireland.

Walk a mile and a half to the beach, swim, walk home.

She only stopped in her mid sixties when the walk bit of it became an issue
It amazed me this year seeing Swedes of all ages wandering down to the sea in their dressing gowns getting in having a swim and then wandering back home. 8-)
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

When I lived in Mallorca, I used to do a 500m swim to a small island near me.. I’d do it every day I was home all year and it was a fantastic, energising experience, even when I was stung by jelly fish (thankfully a rare experience). I did look at open water swimming recently at Eton lake but it’s a lot less appealing for some reason! 😁
IMG_5016.png
IMG_5016.png (92.67 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
Cheers,

Ian
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

IanF wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:16 pm When I lived in Mallorca, I used to do a 500m swim to a small island near me.. I’d do it every day I was home all year and it was a fantastic, energising experience, even when I was stung by jelly fish (thankfully a rare experience). I did look at open water swimming recently at Eton lake but it’s a lot less appealing for some reason! 😁

IMG_5016.png
That looks amazing! I want to live somewhere warm, I always here when then we get into the winter. Not because of the cold per se, I'm fine with that and have a German perspective: there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. However, living somewhere with a more moderate climate and more evenly distributed sunlight throughout the year would be a game changer.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Fuck me I've not taken any real time off work or a holiday this year :shock: that will be contributing to the fuck it, I'm done for the year kinda feeling.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:29 pm Thanks guys. Had enough of this stuff to know that "the only way out is through" :x

@Jimmy Choo Wild swimmers, especially in winter, are a different breed. I once hung out with the swimmers at Hampstead Pond, guys who swim every day of the year and without fail every single one had experienced some major traumatic life event, like being hit by a bus and being in a coma for weeks, going blind etc. Really seems to help them.
My ex who introduced me to it sent me pictures of her sat on a sheet of ice, smashing a hole with a rock to get in. She was diagnosed with autism as an adult and this gives her a bit of control in a world that doesn't fit with her brain.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've broken Ice to get onto a river to Kayak before - Not quite the same mind with a fully fleece onesie and a Dry Suit.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

That does look ace @IanF, I can imagine it's great to be able to swim in the sea regularly, it's really appealing to me. Unfortunately not practical at the moment for me, but I often day dream about moving to the coast.

@Gavster re the climate, I think the problem for me in wintery weather is that yeah, I can do everything I need to do, but it makes the things I like to do less enjoyable.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m the opposite, a really cold day, must, light rain etc and once out I love it. The dogs don’t care but can go for longer when it’s really cold out.

Plus it can put another enjoyable factor into the house, come in, dry dogs off and set them down to relax, have a hot shower, some comfy clothes and the house takes on a nice cosy vibe even though it’s not changed temp since you woke up.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Another cold weather lover, I'd rather be cold than hot. Crisp, bright and cold day with some snow is ideal.

I feel the cold more now than I used to. Don't know if it's diet or age related :lol:
An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Word of the day; https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... illomania/
Falling down stairs has at least refocused me a bit.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

This is a weird start to the year. Usually I feel a buzz around start of Jan, a renewed enthusiasm after the holidays, however this time it feels fundamentally uninspiring. Almost everyone I speak to seems to be anxious, apathetic, or simply depressed right now.

Gonna press on with work as best I can, the only way out is through etc...