Decent car YouTubes

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by 240PP »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:19 pm Doesn’t everyone? I don’t like his delivery but I started to actively dislike him when he made all that stupid fuss about wanting to buy a Ferrari (IIRC) which wasn’t up to standard. He wasn’t ripped off, he just made a real tit of himself about it.
And the ‘whacky’ shirts

mik

Post by mik »

Haven't watched it all yet, but thought the topic would be of interest to several

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

These guys are planning to build a tunnel to test whether it’s possible to drive an F1 car upside down :shock: :lol:

mik

Post by mik »

We confirmed long ago that this is absolutely possible

edit: and having now watched the video - some very good technical points regarding the geometry of the track & "climbing wall"
Last edited by mik on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Acceleration is almost comical....although doing 300km/h+ on the 'ring with the public, and they are not going to be expecting you to close in on them at that rate just feels a bit mental.

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

240PP wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:37 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:19 pm Doesn’t everyone? I don’t like his delivery but I started to actively dislike him when he made all that stupid fuss about wanting to buy a Ferrari (IIRC) which wasn’t up to standard. He wasn’t ripped off, he just made a real tit of himself about it.
And the ‘whacky’ shirts

I don't actually mind JM. I think he's like Mike Brewer in that he comes across far worse on camera than he is in real life. Never met JM, but I do generally enjoy his videos.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:18 pm Acceleration is almost comical....
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see Tavarish has decided to ditch the hybrid system on his P1 rebuild. I like the guy but this is the stupidest decision ever and it seems like everyone in his comment section agreed. Can't be bothered to watch the rest of the series now it's just another supercar build, of which there are many on YouTube.

Plus he's going to make it look gash.

The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Meh, I think a non-hybrid P1 is pretty cool so I'm happy to see it take shape.

Would have liked a bit more of an explanation as to the detail behind the decision though.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The main reason I think he’s mad is that he paid that much for a P1 - why not just do this to any other McLaren?

Will the spoiler still work or is that independent of the hybrid bits, I wonder.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Everyone on YouTube is doing Mclaren's - I'm guessing there's a lot crashed! Doing a P1 definitely gets noticed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Not youtube, but this looks like the sort of thing you'd set up in BeamNG or similar, and go 'nah, that'd never work in real life'

https://www.vxtiktok.com/t/ZT8kFrwbS/
mik

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:11 am I see Tavarish has decided to ditch the hybrid system on his P1 rebuild. I like the guy but this is the stupidest decision ever and it seems like everyone in his comment section agreed.
I'm not watching it, but a P1 with only 80% of the P1's power seems very stoopid (even ignoring the fact that it absolutely destroys the resale value).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

He went to an engine builder in an earlier episode and wanted to make it about 1000bhp just from the engine or something.
I guess he just bit off more than he can chew in terms of the prices of everything, but he’s just turning the P1 into a mish mash kit car of other mclarens at this point.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

The hybrid isn't about outright power though. It's about torque fill etc. He completely missed the point.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I agree with that, I thought the whole concept of the engine build place was bit odd. Boosting Mclarens to silly BHP figures seems to be a bit pointless unless all you want to do is accelerate in a straight line as fast as possible... Then again, Merica, and Tavarish doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would care about driveability.
Either he doesn't seem to actually understand the purpose of the hybrid system if you read his comments under the latest video or he's being purposely naive.
"The E-motor in the P1 produced 170hp and the battery had 5% of the capacity of a Tesla Plaid ... realistically six if you're lucky (talking about range)... There are no compromises on this build. That's why I got rid of the system."

The P1 already has most of its components shared with other cars in the Mclaren line up, the hybrid made it unique. If you want a P1 without the hybrid system, then that's basically just a 765LT. Or a Senna.

Also I wonder how the whole car will function without ERS, push to pass, torque fill, all the in car displays and so on.

From Jethro's Evo review of the P1:
"‘A fast left leads into a long 90-degree right. The P1’s steering is light and full of that delicious fingertip feel so intrinsic to the McLaren experience, but the rack feels slower than I thought it would and the front doesn’t respond quite as I’m expecting. A 720S would have dived to the apex but the P1 is gently pushing wide and the torque-fill of that electric motor is effective but not a complete solution.

‘More throttle feeds the understeer and then, all of a sudden, the turbos hit boost and the brake-steer system frantically tries to equalise torque across the rear axle. Ultimately there’s simply too much of it and the Pirellis are soon spinning up and you’re sliding a car with 903bhp. Weirdly, the P1 never feels more secure and natural than when exiting a corner with some angle on and a trail of wispy smoke hanging behind it. The Senna has moved the game on for control and grip, but it doesn’t indulge with the P1’s good humour. Not even close.’ Jethro Bovingdon"

If anything it needs more torque fill and has enough power as it is.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Aye, your almost be better fitting a larger motor and a more dense battery, but that would probably be beyond anyone without a massively huge budget to employ some real experts
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The more energy dense battery seemed quite simple and not too bad price wise however glancing at the PH thread about it - the car was auctioned with a certificate of destruction.

Unless there’s some backward states in America where they don’t care, that means the car can’t ever be driven on the road and can only be used for spare parts.

So he’s just got a very expensive track car now. Makes sense why he’s spending the minimum just to get it going - probably no one to give him a free battery pack :lol:
Beyond taking it to Sema and filming a few videos of it driving on a race track it’s just going to be a nice looking paperweight which grew his YouTube channel along the way.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:20 pm The more energy dense battery seemed quite simple and not too bad price wise however glancing at the PH thread about it - the car was auctioned with a certificate of destruction.

Unless there’s some backward states in America where they don’t care, that means the car can’t ever be driven on the road and can only be used for spare parts.

So he’s just got a very expensive track car now. Makes sense why he’s spending the minimum just to get it going - probably no one to give him a free battery pack :lol:
Beyond taking it to Sema and filming a few videos of it driving on a race track it’s just going to be a nice looking paperweight which grew his YouTube channel along the way.
im not sure installing a full carbon fibre body kit is the minimum?