Trump

Mito Man

Re: Trump

Post by Mito Man »

Trump is the most popular republican by far and Biden is clearly not all there anymore.
The bigger worry for us here is if Trump gets elected, pulls out of NATO and Russia start invading countries one by one. And Trump has said there will be no US aid.
I think this is what has got Sweden quite rattled even though they’re being extremely vague about it and telling the public to prepare for a possible war.
How about not having a sig at all?
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Im not sure that uk isnt that difference sadly.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Biden got in by being "not trump", but he's just too old to win again. Unless there's a credible alternative put forward (which there won't) we'll see trump winning again.
Simon

Post by Simon »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:48 am I can't work out if Americans are unaware that the rest of the world sees Trump as a clear self-serving swivel-eyed maniac, or that they are just so yoo-ess-ay, yoo-ess-ay insular that they simply don't care? :?
I think it's the later. I heard a US political commentator say that, basically, what Trump stands for and who he is is MUCH more important than whether he's committed any crimes or not. I said it in 2016, but America is broken, there's no two ways about it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just popping my hat in again but if Trump gets in we will find out that the Bidens are warmongering nasty folk.

Also the FBI are just as bad and if Trump gets a handle on that there will be more scary Biden stories.

It makes you wonder if there is some kind of psychopath trait that makes someone want to be a high level politician and that’s why around the world they are all nutters 😂

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

MikeHunt wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:09 am Im not sure that uk isnt that difference sadly.
We absolutely are very different. As said above, when we think of America we tend to think of places like California, New York etc. But a lot of America is Bumfuck Nowhere, and they are so incredibly isolated and often, as a result, very backward/behind the curve.

I was laughing last night when reading Bill Bryson's book on the US, which was first published some 30+ years ago, and how he was utterly dumbstruck at the lack of reporting on the late 80s stockmarket crash when he was over there - it was a throwaway one liner on most radio stations and he had to tune into Canadian news to get the full story. I know times have changed and access to proper news should be more readily available with the internet, but for a significant chunk of the country they;ll be drawing news still from local radio stations, their neighbours, and whatever Facebook bubbles they exist in.

As for Trump's 2nd round, we should all be very worried - the world is increasingly balanced on a knife edge, and a softening of attitudes to the Russians, Chinese and Iranians will be very bad news for many countries.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:11 pm As for Trump's 2nd round, we should all be very worried - the world is increasingly balanced on a knife edge, and a softening of attitudes to the Russians, Chinese and Iranians will be very bad news for many countries.
This - very much this!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

In other words, is it time to stock up on olive oil, baked beans and toilet paper?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

and iodine pills... :shock:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If it gets to that I'll probably be vaporised in the initial blast. The rest of you lot can enjoy your nuclear winter :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:23 pm In other words, is it time to stock up on olive oil, baked beans and toilet paper?
As long as it's not Who Gives A Crap :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:12 pm If it gets to that I'll probably be vaporised in the initial blast. The rest of you lot can enjoy your nuclear winter :lol:
Me Too - there's a couple of "shhhhhh - top secret" GCHQ listening posts hear here which I reckon will be targets...

It's the way I want to go - Battling through a dystopian wasteland's a young man's game... :lol:
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:48 am I can't work out if Americans are unaware that the rest of the world sees Trump as a clear self-serving swivel-eyed maniac, or that they are just so yoo-ess-ay, yoo-ess-ay insular that they simply don't care? :?

That probably reads as far more derogatory to John Q American than I intended it to, but I'm genuinely baffled (in the same way that I guess foreigners were baffled that anyone in the UK would have considered Boris as ready/capable to take office).
I wouldn't worry about anyone feeling insulted. Most of those you refer to probably can't read, and can just about spell 'x', when voting. :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

FWIW my BIL's parents are resident in San Diego (he's a highly successful well educated Brit, she's American), and they are pro-Trump and claim that we get biased news over here. Obviously creates much chagrin in my BIL/sister. Only reason I mention it is that it's not just rednecks who support him, clearly there are well educated internationally minded people who do to.

Global stability is a big concern, and once in office he will be quick to erase any part of history he's on the wrong side of. I can see him making arrangements for a third term once he's in. :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

His "dictator for day" comment just made think of the "I'd wish for infinite wishes" thing

As if a person like that would hand back unrestricted power after wielding it for just one day?

Unlikely
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The news is so heavily biased it’s surprising he isn’t blamed for world hunger.

Did you know he drinks a lot of Diet Coke 😂

Where are the good politicians ? Too scared that their name will be attached to smears and lies when transferring to the big league.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm The news is so heavily biased it’s surprising he isn’t blamed for world hunger.
That’s like saying that stories about Hitler are biased because no one mentions that he built the autobahns!!

The reports of the Batshit crazy stuff he says and does aren’t false or fake. He’s just never done anything actually good to report on
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Dave! Alas I can't resist my usual line of questioning. Where have you read that the FBI and Biden are so very bad? Also, do you really think that those two might be on the same level of bananas as someone that tries to overturn a fairly contested democratic election in the way we saw at the Capitol attack?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:39 am Just popping my hat in again but if Trump gets in we will find out that the Bidens are warmongering nasty folk.

Also the FBI are just as bad and if Trump gets a handle on that there will be more scary Biden stories.

It makes you wonder if there is some kind of psychopath trait that makes someone want to be a high level politician and that’s why around the world they are all nutters 😂

Dave!
This is the sort of conspiracy theory bullshit which gives Trump such an opportunity. I fear Rich is correct. I just hope he is prevented from standing due to criminal convictions - if they don’t move fast he could pardon himself before he’s been convicted 😬
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:25 pm Did you know he drinks a lot of Diet Coke 😂

Dave!