Today’s want

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Today’s want

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:39 am They've reimagined it by using a few design cues from the R34 GTR, which was always (to me) the least visually appealing and least desirable of any generation of GTR.

Also: Wangan Blue. Fnar.
not sure how anyone could place the R33 anywhere but last in desirability (Though the R35 hasn't aged brilliantly to me, I used to want one more than anything.)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I always loved the DB9 and they do look amazing value - but I'm not going to buy any old Aston because of the parts supply issues which mean you can end up with a driveway ornament. That's one of the reasons they're cheap.

ETA: @Rich B R33 undesirable? What planet are you on? R32 is best obvs. R34 looked disjointed, didn't drive as well as the R33 and wasn't any faster.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:04 am I always loved the DB9 and they do look amazing value - but I'm not going to buy any old Aston because of the parts supply issues which mean you can end up with a driveway ornament. That's one of the reasons they're cheap.

ETA: @Rich B R33 undesirable? What planet are you on? R32 is best obvs. R34 looked disjointed, didn't drive as well as the R33 and wasn't any faster.
I don't think I said that R33s were undesirable? I said they were bottom of the list (of undoubtedly desirable cars) - though I'll accept R35s are hovering around the bottom, now the R33s are past the chav stage.

R34's are far more desirable than R33's and always will be.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 am R34's are far more desirable than R33's and always will be.
Not my words; the words of Chris Harris: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... -r34/25390

Maybe someone should do a poll to settle this once and for all...
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:22 am
Pfft. Like that’s even feasible. :roll:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:17 am R34's are far more desirable than R33's and always will be.
Not my words; the words of Chris Harris: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... -r34/25390

the fact he starts the article with "tell me I'm wrong" says it all, chris Harris loves controversy.

I can't comment on the drivability of any of them, I've never driven a GtR of any flavour, but the fact that looking in the Ph classifieds, the cheapest R34 GTR is £134k, and the cheapest R33 GTR is £44k, kind of sums up the desirability.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

R34 recently hit 25 years old so eligible for Americans to import. Paul Walker is a bit of a martyr there so the prices have been getting ridiculous for years in anticipation of the mass exodus of all R34 GTRs.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:04 am I always loved the DB9 and they do look amazing value - but I'm not going to buy any old Aston because of the parts supply issues which mean you can end up with a driveway ornament. That's one of the reasons they're cheap.
Or in your case, front garden ornament - up in a nice plinth... :lol:

No I get it - there are literally hundreds of old cars I'd prefer to an Aston...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:43 am

the fact he starts the article with "tell me I'm wrong" says it all, chris Harris loves controversy.

I can't comment on the drivability of any of them, I've never driven a GtR of any flavour, but the fact that looking in the Ph classifieds, the cheapest R34 GTR is £134k, and the cheapest R33 GTR is £44k, kind of sums up the desirability.
You ignore the replies as well, or would you simply dismiss them as Harris sycophants? What about the substance of the article - that the R34 didn't drive as nicely as the R33 and wasn't any faster, which a lot of people including previous owners seem to agree with?

Prefernce is simply about your age and which generation of Gran Turismo you played in your formative years I think. But the R34 certainly isn't as good a car as the R35 and doesn't have any of the motorsport appeal of the R32 and R33, so to me it's utterly lost in the Fast and Furious world of chav tat.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:43 am

You ignore the replies as well, or would you simply dismiss them as Harris sycophants? What about the substance of the article - that the R34 didn't drive as nicely as the R33 and wasn't any faster, which a lot of people including previous owners seem to agree with?

Prefernce is simply about your age and which generation of Gran Turismo you played in your formative years I think. But the R34 certainly isn't as good a car as the R35 and doesn't have any of the motorsport appeal of the R32 and R33, so to me it's utterly lost in the Fast and Furious world of chav tat.
Age is definitely a factor in it, I'd agree.

As I said, I can't argue about the drivability because I haven't driven any, but drivability isn't what we're talking about.

It's fairly straightforward to lump monetary value onto it as an indication of how many people want which and the value they put on them.

Both the R33 and R34 sold for similar price new and they sold broadly the same sort of numbers. But 20-30 years later one is worth 2-3x as much. In my eyes, that clearly indicates one is more desirable than the other.

Obviously "desirable" isn't really a measurable thing though, so we're basically shouting at clouds.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:51 pm Both the R33 and R34 sold for similar price new and they sold broadly the same sort of numbers. But 20-30 years later one is worth 2-3x as much. In my eyes, that clearly indicates one is more desirable than the other.
Expensive and desirable are different things: I believe the R34 is rarer because a lot of the ones imported were crashed. Probably because they didn't handle well :lol: There's also a specific US market thing where they have just become eligible for import and there's a Fast and Furious factor. For me, that simply makes them less desirable :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Just reminded myself which generations of Gran Turismo they each appeared in - the R34 was in Gran Turismo 2 which had a massive increase in the number of cars and it was simply middling. The R33 in the first Gran Turismo was one of the quicker cars.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

R33 and 3000gt were the horsepower kings of GT, even then I still preferred the r32.

The escudo pikes peak made the skylines seem very average in gt2 😄
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:41 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:51 pm Both the R33 and R34 sold for similar price new and they sold broadly the same sort of numbers. But 20-30 years later one is worth 2-3x as much. In my eyes, that clearly indicates one is more desirable than the other.
Expensive and desirable are different things: I believe the R34 is rarer because a lot of the ones imported were crashed. Probably because they didn't handle well :lol: There's also a specific US market thing where they have just become eligible for import and there's a Fast and Furious factor. For me, that simply makes them less desirable :lol:
they're expensive because they are more desirable - more people are willing to pay more money to have one..

Surely the R33 has been eligible for US import for a while now, just no one desired them...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It could be like the DeLorean, a desirable car just because of the movie franchise but a shit car in every other metric.

Desirability is it's own benchmark and not necessarily related to any other factor.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:02 pm It could be like the DeLorean, a desirable car just because of the movie franchise but a shit car in every other metric.

Desirability is it's own benchmark and not necessarily related to any other factor.
Yes, but you seem a little preoccupied with F&F, which was remember, a reflection of the car culture as well as an influence.

Paul Walker turns up in the second film in an R34 because it was already a cool car. They weren't made cool by PW driving one.

R34, RX7s and Supras were the hero cars of that generation (and to a lesser effect, basically anything Japanese with 276bhp). If the F&tF PW was really that important, Mitsubishi Eclipses would be sought after!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Eclipse was shit even in the film and not really the car that he was known for. Yes RX7 and Supra also hero cars but not as highly valued. Also in Gran Turismo IIRC.
There’s a definite F&F fanboy tax on it.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:46 pm The Eclipse was shit even in the film and not really the car that he was known for. Yes RX7 and Supra also hero cars but not as highly valued. Also in Gran Turismo IIRC.
it obviously has some influence, but the Supra should be the most expensive if F&tF was what mattered.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don’t know the numbers, but I imagine supra turbos are far more common the r34 GTRs. Non turbo autos are probably worth about the same as non gtr r34s
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:58 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:46 pm The Eclipse was shit even in the film and not really the car that he was known for. Yes RX7 and Supra also hero cars but not as highly valued. Also in Gran Turismo IIRC.
it obviously has some influence, but the Supra should be the most expensive if F&tF was what mattered.
No way, the Supra was cool until 2F2F came out and then everyone forgot about it. But this perfectly reflects used values.
R34 > Supra > RX7 ;)