What new old car - Audi A2 v. Mk1 Renault Twingo

PJOH

Re: What new old car - Audi A2 v. Mk1 Renault Twingo

Post by PJOH »

Well this place is slower than usual. And 19 responses to an A2 or Twingo post...standards people - but thanks for the welcome. And nope, not a troll but have eclectic car tastes.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

PJOH wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 pm Well this place is slower than usual. And 19 responses to an A2 or Twingo post...standards people - but thanks for the welcome. And nope, not a troll but have eclectic car tastes.
maybe more than one reply from you a week might get things going?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

No, it's definitely our fault, without question.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I take personal responsibility for this. It won’t happen again.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 am I take personal responsibility for this. It won’t happen again.
You're being too hard on yourself. It is clearly Beany's fault.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 am I take personal responsibility for this. It won’t happen again.
You're being too hard on yourself. It is clearly Beany's fault.
I think we all know that the problem was the suggesting of a puma. Clearly, it should have been a Mondeo Titanium X that was suggested, which is now officially the best car in the world.

I get the impression that OP wants something that he can spanner on a bit that doesn't cost £50k+, can be wanged about a bit, and tweeked/personalised a bit.

If be tempted by a Twingo over an A2, but a 1X2 Clio would definitely be more fun than either.

If it's just something silly to play with, what about a broken RX8 and a Renesis rebuild kit? Common, cheap and pretty well documented - if I had a garage and a couple of grand burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be looking in that sort of direction.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You say that, but let again this thread is languishing, and it's all your fault.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm
You say that, but let again this thread is languishing, and it's all your fault.
I delegated to Beany. He tried his best to spark conversation about his Tit X but it was too little, too late to save the thread.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

:cry:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Instead of the mundane shitboxes mentioned, would a bugeye Impreza WRX not be an interesting thing to tinker with (although having a face only a mother could love, but the same goes for the original Twingo)?
Surely more fun than an A2 or Twingo, the EP3 Civic R is also cheap and fun, both that and the Impreza sold in high enough numbers that there should be plenty still around that haven't been barried to hell. The Puma, if you could find a non rusting one would also rank above both for me too.
I remember hiring a Twingo in Majorca years ago when they were considered 'funky', it felt low rent and cheap. It was also slow and very, very far from being 'fun'.

Carl.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:54 am Instead of the mundane shitboxes mentioned, would a bugeye Impreza WRX not be an interesting thing to tinker with (although having a face only a mother could love, but the same goes for the original Twingo)?
Surely more fun than an A2 or Twingo, the EP3 Civic R is also cheap and fun, both that and the Impreza sold in high enough numbers that there should be plenty still around that haven't been barried to hell. The Puma, if you could find a non rusting one would also rank above both for me too.
I remember hiring a Twingo in Majorca years ago when they were considered 'funky', it felt low rent and cheap. It was also slow and very, very far from being 'fun'.

Carl.
Honestly, in that price range I think I could list [infinity] cars I'd buy before an A2 or a Twingo.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm
drcarlos wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:54 am Instead of the mundane shitboxes mentioned, would a bugeye Impreza WRX not be an interesting thing to tinker with (although having a face only a mother could love, but the same goes for the original Twingo)?

Carl.
Honestly, in that price range I think I could list [infinity] cars I'd buy before an A2 or a Twingo.
Yes, 106GTI, Saxo VTS, Original Clio 172 are 3 more that didn't take too long to think of.

Carl.
robin_cox

Post by robin_cox »

to the OP - try a2oc.net if you want reasonably biased (but also very helpful) feedback and parts supplies about how suitable the A2 is as a project on all sorts of levels. Had an ex with an original Twingo back in the mid 90s and although it was cute enough in the city at the time it was on long motorway journeys in Switzerland that we realised how arthritic it was, and from the relative interior quality I doubt they'd last as well. The A2 is definitely quirky but with 10-years-younger VAG underpinnings than the Twingo hooked onto the aluminium shell means that providing you service it properly and keep the interior tidy it is possible to keep them really smart. You also have the option to customize interior / exterior and drivetrain in whichever way that suits you again using a lot of VAG compatible parts. It drives like a much bigger car - mid-Scotland to the Southwest in 9 hours without stress. Lots of other options such as cruise control and DIS can be retrofitted with minimal fuss using common bits from other VAG cars of the same generation and some VCDS tinkering. Yes - I'm biased, but I'd certainly give it a whirl. Be careful with engine selections - the basic 1.4 75s (mpi and tdi) are bombproof, the 90hp and 1.6L fsi are more sensitive.

to the rest of the ov9 regulars. I have decided to throw myself into the lion pit here at the Collosseum after many years of observing your activities at Evo, and once the forum shifted decided to make the move.

Based in central Scotland, drive a 2CV, a Citigo, an A2 and an A6 biturbo if these are Evo enough. And a Weber barbecue. Be nice :)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Weird taste in cars but then some of our dearly beloved members lust after diesel Audis so who are we to judge?

As someone who clearly knows of the history of our once great forum I encourage you to stick around and contribute more. ;)
robin_cox

Post by robin_cox »

many thanks, Duncs - for me the thing that motivated me to rock up was the sudden announcement that the plug was being pulled, followed by the immediate resurrection and general FYYBOC response in other parts - for which I have to send my thanks to Matty (I think) for setting this up. The anarchy is appreciated. Obviously the A2 question piqued my interest but the time had come.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Welcome to the forum. 2CVs are fucking awful.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oh and get the GTS, and a cheap 7 to tinker with if you want to win.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Welcome to the forum Robin. I like the 2CV, cos my granddad had one and it was the first car I was allowed to “spanner”. Actually, think it only took one spanner to do everything on that car. 😂
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

And Duncs, I saw a tangerine A6 diesel near me last week😳 ... I guess he was trying to say it was an estate Lamborghini or something?
Cheers,

Ian