What new old car - Audi A2 v. Mk1 Renault Twingo

PJOH

What new old car - Audi A2 v. Mk1 Renault Twingo

Post by PJOH »

A very long time lurker on the old forum, and would normally check the page on a daily basis. Given time commitments, very rarely posted. Suspect this will remain the same - but who knows I may start to contribute more. In line with most on the forum my cars are becoming duller as I get older. About to take delivery of a Volvo XC90 T8 - but even with +400 bhp it is a very comfortable dull car to drive - which I suspect is in keeping with the OV9 traditions. Am hoping to acquire either a 911 or AMG GTS in the next 12 months - and will keep you posted if this does happen, but I fear it will be a house extension and new kitchen for the win.

On a more mundane level, am also looking for a cheap 'classic' small run about, and something to 'tinker' with. Have narrowed it down to either an Audi A2, or an original (circa 1993) Renault Twingo. I live in Europe, so no issues with the fact that the Twingo only came in LHD. So far have not been bothered to test either of them, and suspect most people on this forum have never driven either of them - but that has never stopped you lot before. And of course I know the correct answer is F40 and/or diesel golf or a highly specced 520d, or maybe in this case/price range a Ford Puma.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: What new old car - Audi A2 v. Mk1 Renault Twingo

Post by Gavin »

A2 seems to be highly regarded by their owners. I drove one once on a test drive, very briefly. I think i was a 1.4 petrol. I found it slow and very plasticky inside.

Twingos are also plasticky as are Pumas. The Puma we had years back was a brilliant car but how many are around still in decent nick I don't know as our rear arches were rusting when it was 5 years old.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The reference to a Puma was a Beany-targetted joke, I think. :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

This is taking “mundane” to a whole new level, sounds more like sadomasochism.

If you need a cheap station/run about car, get something like a smart, then at least you get some benefit from driving a shitbox in at least you can park in tiny spaces.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

What do you mean when you say tinker with? I can't imagine you could strip much weight out of either of them.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah I was wondering that. I can't think of any two cars less interesting in terms of wanting (or rather, not wanting) to tinker with.
John

Post by John »

Based on driving neither it'd have to be the Twingo for me.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Same, based on the following scales of interest:

Twingo:
0-----X------------------------------------------------------------------------10

A2:
0--X---------------------------------------------------------------------------10
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Wasn’t the A2 one of the first cars without a proper opening bonnet to try and discourage home mechanic’ing?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I used to really like the original twingo when we used to go on holiday in Spain when I was young. They always looked way more modern than most of the small cars around at the time.

The aluminium construction plus what rich said would put me off an a2.

I don't think they'll ever be worth a lot, but a really clean and tidy original twingo could be a quirky and pretty rare little runabout in the not too distant future.
Cheers, Harry
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I genuinely don’t see the appeal of either as a toy. They’re not old enough to be interesting, neither is fun enough to be a cheap drivers car. The Puma would genuinely be a better choice, even though it was only included as a joke.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:32 am The reference to a Puma was a Beany-targetted joke, I think. :)
Yup, but given what he wanted still a better idea than the other two mundane shiteboxes! :)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The original post has confused me. It makes sense up to the point where you talk about something classic and fun to potter around in, before making a wild left turn to "A2 v Twingo".
Cheers,

Mike.
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 am The original post has confused me. It makes sense up to the point where you talk about something classic and fun to potter around in, before making a wild left turn to "A2 v Twingo".
OP doesn't make any sense at all. Talks about getting older and buying more dull cars using a 400hp Volvo as an example which doesn't sound particularly dull in terms of power, then mentions possibly buying a 911 or AMG GTS, neither of which are dull, followed by babbling on about A2 v Twingo. Bearing in mind aforementioned purchase and potential purchases there are a hell of a lot more interesting 'classics' that this guy could invest in. Lack of further input by said OP = bullshit time waster post.
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I, for one, am happy that we continue to be as friendly to new joiners as we have always been now we're in our new home (for the criminally insane).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm I, for one, am happy that we continue to be as friendly to new joiners as we have always been now we're in our new home (for the criminally insane).
:lol:
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:10 am

The aluminium construction...would put me off...

Why's that?

Depending how far tinkering goes, would a 172/182/197 quatre banger fit in a Twingo?
You'd probably need two to do the name justice.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Because it doesn't last forever, and if it does need work then rutting out and sticking in a bit is well beyond most diy mechanics.
Cheers, Harry
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Five days have passed without justification as to why a bloody Audi A3 is considered a suitable 'classic' to 'tinker with'

PJOH is a troll AICMFP
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Hello. Welcome to posting.

An Audi A2 is the only car I've ever been stoped for speeding in. Not that that will help your purchase decision making. I seem to recall it being pleasant, marginally quirky and yes they are pretty rare, but the blind spots were a complete bastard and now I think about it I did nearly pile it into the side of a Metro (it was definitely a Metro) when entering a roundabout in it, due to the blind spot.
Left over crest; tightens.