Apu in the Simpsons

JLv3.0

Re: Apu in the Simpsons

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't find it funny at all, frankly. I find it pathetic.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Which part is pathetic, the imaginary bans or the frothing about a man possibly not doing a silly voice anymore?
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The entire situation. The frothing about a man not doing a silly voice any more because one person got bullied a little bit at school as it was the only Indian person on US TV, and then the inevitable over-reactions. It's all so tiresome.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Of course, we really ought to ban the re-use of this image - it's a lazy racist stereotype of Irish priests.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think the best solution here is to ban ethnic minorities from working in jobs that contribute to their stereotype. Thus get them banned from working in corner shops and petrol stations.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am I think the funniest thing about these arguments is how quickly people start talking about bans, no one has banned anything.

Hank Azaria said he might stop doing the voice and people have got all frothed up about it.

It's the grid girls in F1 thread all over again.
Did you not get the tongue in cheek tone of my post?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I don't take anything you say seriously Rich
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am I don't take anything you say seriously Rich
thank fuck for that!
sec

Post by sec »

ilmostro wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 pm I wish these PC Snowflake Cunts would just fucking die.

My Dad is Sri Lankan (so I'm White / Asian)

I do not find it offensive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43892039
You do know that it doesn't matter what we Asians think? It's just so the white guys can feel good by atoning for something their earlier generations did 3/4/5+ generations ago.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

...............despite this whole nonsense being predicated on the basis of one - ONE - Asian being made fun of at school?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Americans are weird, they seem totally obsessed with skin colour defining absolutely everything. “White girls” say this, “black guys” do that, it’s constant.

I’m surprised they’re even acknowledging this stereotype as being an issue.
sec

Post by sec »

Yep. One Asian was picked on. PICKED ON. Not asked if he/she was offended. The vast majority of Asians I know aren't offended. Infact, most of them say Apu paints a positive stereotype. Some others don't really give a rats.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

OK I must have misunderstood your post - we're on near-enough the same page to not have to continue this discussion. :lol:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

My dentist asked if I had Indian ancestors due to my gums???!!!

Does that mean I should be offended?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

sec wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 am
ilmostro wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:43 pm I wish these PC Snowflake Cunts would just fucking die.

You do know that it doesn't matter what we Asians think? It's just so the white guys can feel good by atoning for something their earlier generations did 3/4/5+ generations ago.
Conveniently forgetting that this whole thing was kicked off by an Asian making a documentary called "The Problem With Apu" explaining exactly why they found it offensive, but of course now that "white guys" have listened to someone telling them that something is offensive, now it's White Knighting, or trying to feel good.

Of course, when the same "white guys" tried to brush it off (see statements from the Simpsons producers and the episode where the writers tried to make light of it) there was outrage at them not listening to an Asian telling them it's offensive and demands that they do more.

Everyone, and I mean every cunt, can fuck right off and die in a fire.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Conveniently forgetting that this whole thing was kicked off by an Asian making a documentary called "The Problem With Apu" explaining exactly why they found it offensive, but of course now that "white guys" have listened to someone telling them that something is offensive, now it's White Knighting, or trying to feel good.

Of course, when the same "white guys" tried to brush it off (see statements from the Simpsons producers and the episode where the writers tried to make light of it) there was outrage at them not listening to an Asian telling them it's offensive and demands that they do more.

My wife's uncle's best mate's milkman died in a fire you fireist bastard! :cry:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm Everyone, and I mean every cunt, can fuck right off and die in a fire.
I may have to get that as a tattoo...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:14 pm

My wife's uncle's best mate's milkman died in a fire you fireist bastard! :cry:
One down, 7.6 billion to go.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Richard

Post by Richard »

Is it racist that people are only bothered by Apu, but not Willie, or the Mob guys, or Frink, or Wolfcastle, or Bumble Bee Man, Krusty’s Dad, etc etc etc
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm Is it racist that people are only bothered by Apu, but not Willie, or the Mob guys, or Frink, or Wolfcastle, or Bumble Bee Man, Krusty’s Dad, etc etc etc
Have any Scots complained? Are mob guys a race now? Frink and Wolfcastle are caricatures of individuals, not races. Bumble Bee Man is based on a Mexican TV show, Krusty's Dad was played by Jackie Mason originally so wasn't someone pretending to be stereotypically Jewish. I'd be very surprised if you genuinely had thought about this and come to the conclusion that those things are the same.

I mean, we had this debate many years ago in the UK, we decided it kind of wasn't OK for Michael Bates to play an Indian man in It Ain't Half Hot, Mum. An Indian actor might get away with it. Or Jim Davidson's Chalky character.
Middle-aged Dirtbag