EOTR - Evo Magazine

davecG60

EOTR - Evo Magazine

Post by davecG60 »

Well after reading EVO since Issue 1, I've made the decision to cancel my subscription. Reading through a few comments here and on FB made me think about how little I actually read the magazine nowadays. It used to get get cover to cover religiously, but now its the Fast Fleet and a quick flick through before its shoved in a box somewhere.

Lack of time and interest I am blaming. Studying for a degree and having a young family (as well as work shite) all inhibit the time I get to sit in a quiet corner and chill with the mag and a brew. The new change in paper has really hit the quality of the mag I think. It just doesnt have the same weight and shine that it used to. All cost cutting measures but I for one would have paid a bit more to keep the same paper.

I'll miss the stunning picture quality (although again, some is lost in the poor paper saga) and of course the informative tomes but as I've said the chances are few & far between when I can sit and read.

Apparently you can't just log in to your sub account and cancel. I've put in a request to cancel my subscription with a few notes attached and am waiting patiently for a response. :roll: :roll:
Cockwobble
scotta

Re: EOTR - Evo Magazine

Post by scotta »

I just phoned them up then cancelled the DD.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

stopped a couple of years back

web content makes most of their info very dated
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Simon

Post by Simon »

There's a magazine?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ended my sub in 2007/2008

Like others, I always flicked to 'Fast Fleet' first but tired of Meaden and Harris' self aggrandisement (sp?) and conflicting road tests.
mik

Post by mik »

I cancelled mine a couple of weeks - sent an email to the subs team.

Didn’t give me much pleasure.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Best way is just to cancel the DD at your end.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Newspapers are yesterdays news, sold for money

Car magazines are last months news, sold for lots of money

I too used to enjoy reading the features, but I think I probably get most of the car content from YouTube these days

I miss eCoty and interesting features, but I don’t make enough time in my life to read magazines anymore

What was your favourite ever Evo feature. For me, I’ll always think of Harris driving a 599GTO and a GT2RS at the Nurburgring, with incredible photos by James Lipman

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s the writing that makes the magazines better. YouTube stuff I find annoying as most (apart from it appears the old evo staff) just prove either dull or overly flamboyant and very much saying it for the telly.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Said it in the (old) forum before it was killed - the web removed the NEED to rely on Evo for information on new models etc. But I was still very interested in their opinions of some cars - this obviously reduced the content that I read.

Not sure of my favourite article from the last 20-odd years. Some of the road trips were epic, and tended to be accompanied by equally epic photography / backdrops.

The ECOTY articles were always great as they were the only - or certainly the main - time they all got together > the camerardery really came through in the piss-taking.

Also really enjoyed the time they fessed up to their biggest “whoops” moments. Barker putting a 996TT(?) into a ditch backwards doing an oversteer shot. Someone else driving a TVR (Tuscan?) into a rock face etc. Again / you got a bit more of “them”.

Days gone by now...
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I cancelled my DD quite some time ago now. The best writers were leaving and what replaced them wasn't as engaging to read. EVO dying a slow death I'm sad to say.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Subs went a year or two ago, but I bought last ecoty issue with a view to re-subscribing. Then I found out that it had gone to shite and gave up altogether.

I would still be subscribing if they did better features, with proper road trips and all round good quality. However the bitesize chunks of irrelevant information that I think started with Trott is of no interest to me.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Not bought it for years.

Was going to post a sarky comment on one of their instagram posts the other day but decided I couldn't even be bothered with that.
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Yep, issue 248 is the last one for me.

Same as Mik really, no pleasure in letting my subs end. Used to read the whole mag and and was delighted when a new subs issue arrived on a Saturday morning. These days, I barely read a few articles.

I also blame too many other distracting things, like youtube, twitter, instagram, here (or well, the old evo forum), etc
Oui, je suis un motard.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I must've cancelled my sub 8 or 9 years ago, after starting at issue 5. Early evo seemed to be fixated on the Impreza. Evo when I cancelled was all about the 911. All the road tests seemed to be about exotica and the fast fleet was the same. It just seemed irrelevant to me. At least early FF had some cars that most people could afford. Buy the time I stopped it seemed to be about the staffers competing to see who could blag the most expensive model from a manufacturer's PR dept. Shame really.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Richard

Post by Richard »

Even after I cancelled my sub, 5-6 years ago, I always bought eCoty

Based on last years, I can’t even imagine I’d bother doing that any more

Shame really

I think for me, Nick Trott becoming the editor began the downward spiral, and then him leaving really was the final nail

Also, Drive Tribe didn’t help, pinching Henry (and others) for a few months, promising them the world (I guess), then spitting them out later
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

I just noticed the website now blocks access if you use adblocker

bye bye :D
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

Cancelled my sub a few weeks ago. Like many it was death by a 1000 cuts(paper, writing, relevance) but with no forum I no longer felt morally obligated to purchase the mag.

Favourite arrive was the art of noise on the Stelvio with the drop tops.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I cancelled mine last year - I openly said that I was only carrying it on to pay for the forum.

Sorry guys, it may have been my fault...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Am I the only person who has yet to cancel? I quite enjoyed the 20 years of Evo stories in the last couple of issues, which at least means I'll see it out to the 20th anniversary issue around October.