Harry’s Garage

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Jobbo »

Based on the delay and cost to Hoovie in getting a new steering rack for his Diablo, I’m not sure that would be as easy as you think!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:23 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm Rolex Sub, isn’t it?
Entirely possible. He’s clearly not precious about it anyway.
14060 I believe.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Looks best as it is now, gold wheels no wing.
It sounds awful, also surprised he's left it so long before getting it checked out.
Marv

Post by Marv »

mik wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 pm Probably find he can stick in a brand new Diablo 6-speed box for £less than a rebuild?
He probably could, but I suspect with the value a Countach is at right now, you're better off sticking with originality...
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Pete_ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 am
Jobbo wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm Rolex Sub, isn’t it?
14060 I believe.
Top geekery there Pete :ugeek:
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:57 am
Pete_ wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 am

14060 I believe.
Top geekery there Pete :ugeek:
No date so can't be a Sea Dweller. Could be a 14060m Sub, although most but not all of those have four lines on the bottom half of the dial.

I'm sure if it was a Christopher Ward you could tell us all about it :D
mik

Post by mik »

@Marv @Jobbo yeah Diablo gearbox was a stoopid idea - triggered by Harry’s willingness to do a little modding if it improves things.

There are two issues I hadn’t really considered:

1. The Diablo didn’t have a 6-speed box :roll:
2. Countach uses a gated shift with dog-leg 1st, so even if the Diablo had been a 6-speed, adding another ratio would create some challenges on the interior end too. :geek:
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I watched that and the admission that that noise had been there for around 10 years was bad. I guess Harry can drive a car but has no mechanical sympathy or knowledge.

You wouldn't want him on an endurance race team as he'd just keep going and give you no chance of saving anything before it was catastrophic.

I think it's probably luck more than judgment that the internals never made a bid for freedom.

As the problem seems to be present in all gears it's going to be a common point like the output or idler gears and probably expensive. At least he has the money to fix it though and it's likely the youtube revenue will pay for it anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Get your bets in now. Parts n labour n vats etc.

@scotta mused £10-15k earlier

I am going for £17k
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Thrust bearing gone, shaft rubbing against the housing, new housing needed for an all up price of 22k.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:07 pm Thrust bearing gone, shaft rubbing against the housing, new housing needed for an all up price of 22k.

Dave!
Guesstimate or based on other social media posts by Harry/Tyrell?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Maybe Harry wanted the gearbox to let go during filming for the GT - not like they’re short of a few quid.
But the Italian engineering just keeps on going.

As for the cost I’d say £12,000 just plucked from the air if Harry replaces/repairs like for like but probably more like £35,000 overall after Iain goes through it with a fine tooth comb and finds a whole load of other items that need addressing and upgrading.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yeah, he mentioned it hadn’t had any work for a while and was going to be one of this years project cars, so I expect there will be a lot of ‘while we’re there’ work added on.
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:07 pm Thrust bearing gone, shaft rubbing against the housing, new housing needed for an all up price of 22k.

Dave!
I'd start there. Gearbox rebuild are not cheap.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I've no point of reference as when I get a gearbox issue with a car it's been moved on sharpish.

However on an 80's Lambo a figure of 25k is probably going to be a good point to start.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Good job he can write off all the costs by expensing it to the Harry's Garage channel :lol:
Oui, je suis un motard.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:40 pm

Dave!
Guesstimate or based on other social media posts by Harry/Tyrell?
Just from the noise it sounds like something is ratting forward and backwards. I’m guessing a repaired or second hand gearbox casings would be silly money.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Harry doesn't give the impression he's that bothered, he's probably thinking the more wrecked it is the better viewing it will be and the more viewing money he'll make (not that I know how much he actually makes from YT). He can always do a couple of extra parts on the repair to really milk it if it's bad.

Either way, I get the impression he's pretty calculating in everything he does. Probably Tyrell does the work at a hefty discount given that it's great promo.
Beany

Post by Beany »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:49 pm Harry doesn't give the impression he's that bothered, he's probably thinking the more wrecked it is the better viewing it will be and the more viewing money he'll make (not that I know how much he actually makes from YT). He can always do a couple of extra parts on the repair to really milk it if it's bad.

Either way, I get the impression he's pretty calculating in everything he does. Probably Tyrell does the work at a hefty discount given that it's great promo.
Yeah, the idea that harry is leadfooting his Countach around with a shonky box, without having considered the implications is, frankly, laughable.

He didn't get into the position of being able to own multiple Ferraris and Lambos by being a blithering numpty.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Christ, he must be absolutely mental to have driven it making that noise. I suppose the initial thought of "it's always sounded like that and it's been ok for 10 years" sort of rings through but he must have seen the look in Ian's eyes when editing it back to know the indefensibility of his position.