Harry’s Garage

Nathan

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Nathan »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm In my head (having never driven either), I think I've made the switch from M5 to RS6 if I was in the market. :?
In my head, C7 RS6 look like great value starting at 35k

Anyone else heard about problems of a non-service turbo filter hidden beneath the turbos in the 'hot vee' disintegrating and causing all sorts of problems on them ?
Real-life Females
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Wonder where these cars will bottom out as they must all be the last non hybrid v8 super saloons available. Future collectors car or even more rapidly depreciating dinosaur?
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nathan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:58 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm In my head (having never driven either), I think I've made the switch from M5 to RS6 if I was in the market. :?
In my head, C7 RS6 look like great value starting at 35k

Anyone else heard about problems of a non-service turbo filter hidden beneath the turbos in the 'hot vee' disintegrating and causing all sorts of problems on them ?
Similar problems with the TDV8 in the Range Rover, these parts have been service items on hard working engines for years, it surprises me that car manufacturers have not caught up.

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Is that M5 not just symptomatic of many of the problems with the direction car design has taken over the last 10 years or so? The absolute pinnacle of technology & motoring, but lacking on the feel/emotion/interaction side of things?
Cheers,

Mike.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Part of the reason why I've gone for the Mini JCW and 'something for the weekend' to accompany it, and not something like a nearly new M5 or in that vein is because I'm starting to think it's all a bit pointless. I know that previous reasons for selling my M5s of years gone by are the stuff of mirth and ridicule, but the bottom line for me still applies - if I cannot use all that a car has, deploy its capabilities or at least a fair proportion of them, without risking losing my licence, I fail to see the point. BMW offered me a non-Comp M5 (unregistered) for £60k a few months back which was an epic deal but after a year or so I couldn't help thinking it was 'just' going to be another mega-power BMW with reserves of power never to be exploited.

Will still get into trouble with the JCW of course, but I'll be able to use all it has a lot more often whilst still making good progress, and that to me now at least is far more appealing. I cannot afford to have 4 cars on the go, so the car I use most of the time needs to be most suitable most of the time.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

DBX:

M235i
Marv

Post by Marv »

Matt Becker magic on the chassis. Damped door hinges at the back? Brilliant! 😆
Oui, je suis un motard.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Marv wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:55 am Matt Becker magic on the chassis.
Yes watched that just now Harry seemed well impressed.

Looks great at the front and front 3/4, don’t particularly like the rear but the whole car is distinctly Aston.

£190k as tested :shock: :o
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

The price doesn't surprise me. I saw one on the M74 a few weeks ago and while it's not offensive, it didn't wow me much. If I had the money, I think I'd buy a nice Range Rover instead and save the £100k.
M235i
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I really like the DBX, and I wasn't expecting to. It looks like a cross between a Macan and a Ford Puma but it works. I could almost see myself having one in a few years.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If the mileage he says is true, that’s less than 300 miles to a tank, which is pretty rubbish.

The chassis work looks great but I can’t get over the silly gearbox controls on top of the dash and that silly range.

I’d take a V8Diesel Cayenne and a GT3.

I realise they no longer sell the V8 diesel but I’m in denial :lol:

Dave!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Looks fantastic to me. Yes, it's obviously not the cost of the fuel that would annoy but the limited range. I'm guessing of the others it might be the Cayenne GTS that's up there dynamically, at something over half the price?
Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like it - even the slightly silly spoiler - i particularly like how smooth it looks around the windows/seals - noticeably slick.

I think the only real criticism I'd have is that £8k optional colour - it looks totally different colour on each panel!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I like that Aston way more than I expected to. Looks like they really put some thought into it. Only thing I don’t like is the straight on rear view. Also the awkward shutline between the rear door and c pillar would drive me mad :lol:.

Feel like it would’ve been a good way for them to bring back the Lagonda name.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:22 amAlso the awkward shutline between the rear door and c pillar would drive me mad :lol:.
i really like that bit! :shock:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The window and door not lining up bugged me as soon as I saw it :lol:
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

That is the only Aston that I would actually like to own from the current range. Regarding the fuel range, is it possible it's tuned differently being a US spec car?
mik

Post by mik »

Evo appear to have similar feelings

https://www.evo.co.uk/review/202972/ast ... ts-promise

It seems impressive, but although I don’t want one, I hope they sell loads to bring the brand back from the brink.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

mik wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:24 am Evo appear to have similar feelings

https://www.evo.co.uk/review/202972/ast ... ts-promise

It seems impressive, but although I don’t want one, I hope they sell loads to bring the brand back from the brink.
Ah, Elan Valley, I miss thee.

Excellent on road, great on track, decent off road. Maybe a bit wide for some of Jobbo's lanes though.
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JonMad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am Excellent on road, great on track, decent off road. Maybe a bit wide for some of Jobbo's lanes though.
Yeah, don't want to scratch the £8k paint job... but wait, what's that on the configurator? Paint protection film as standard?! :shock: :D :D :D