Harry’s Garage

Broccers

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Broccers »

Just watched this. Want one!

Look forward to hearing about your car Paul. Very jel.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Broccers wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 pm Just watched this. Want one!

Look forward to hearing about your car Paul. Very jel.
Not as much as I'm looking forward to it! (And hoping that there's no Covid related issues preventing me from getting it from Sheffield Porsche at the end of November ish).
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ian Callum Vanquish

I like it, always liked the Vanquish. Not sure about some of the details in the one tested but I assume you could change them is you’re buying one.
An absolute unit
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am Ian Callum Vanquish

I like it, always liked the Vanquish. Not sure about some of the details in the one tested but I assume you could change them is you’re buying one.
For a car that's specifically made to sort out the niggles of the original Vanquish it seems to have a lot of niggles its self. That instrument glass is particularly bad, and leather on the underside of the bonnet seems like a terrible idea.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’s a designer’s car. They don’t trouble themselves with issues like functionality :lol:.

Singer have done leather lined engine bays before too, it’s one of the things I assumed you could change if you wanted too.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think I’d much rather have a regular Vanquish with just the Callum handling updates. Don’t entirely like the idea of a sealed engine bay either with 4 small holes to vent the entire manifold system.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Hmm...

I do love the way it looks in the outside (excluding the cut outs in the lower bumper but that is exacerbated by the colour differential).

The interior though - my god. I think I would have done a better job. The cutaway C logo is rubbish. The centre console more kit car than the original (!!) and the ridiculous ‘designer on crack’ details like the etching on the dials and the cheap looking gearstick would drive you insane.

Basically it’s Callum’s (very late) mid life crisis. If it was this or an 812 I think I know where I would be sending my money... which means it will only ever be bought by speculators with a desire to make a profit from its rarity. At least they were realistic with 25 as I certainly don’t think they’d sell more than that.

Oh and I know it’s his surname and everything but Callum to me is just the delinquent kid you knew from primary school who carved his name in the desk with a compass. I certainly wouldn’t want a car called that.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That C logo just makes me think of Commodore computers.

Not sure if it was just where the microphone on the camera was placed but the interior driving seemed to have constant gearbox/diff whine.
GG.

Post by GG. »

For the price of this car you could have a DB6, a normal vanquish + manual conversion by AM works and change...
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

RobYob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:49 am That C logo just makes me think of Commodore computers.
Ah yeah, I thought it looked familiar when I was watching the video :lol:
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Load toss. Pointless design for the sake of it.

I think I’d take a standard one with those wheels ( or just some spacers ) and a modern dct gearbox.

The leather lined bonnet, abstract grille mesh, stupid engraving over the dials and pointless automatic clock which doesn’t work can all fuck off.

Even the C logo just looks like it’s got a bit broken off it.
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

Interestingly there are a couple for sale under or around the £60k mark. Add £16k ish for a manual conversion and £75k all in for a manual one doesn't seem too bad given the prices they were at a while back. Still knocking on the door of a DBS though, and both appeared in bond films so you can't separate them on that :lol:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Not watched the vid as yet but a leather lining for the bonnet underside? Really? God Almighty :roll:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rebodied Ferrari by Touring. Bloody hell it's fugly.
linked so we don't have to see it
Beany

Post by Beany »

I don't mind it so much. A big V12 GT is a pretty good base for something like that, although it woud have been nice to see more done on the interior to get get the old racer style more prominent.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The front end of that Touring thing wasn't to my taste and I though it sat a bit high. I agree with Harry that it's good that there's still space for coachbuilt specials like that though.

I'm guessing the mostly unchanged interior was a case of not wanting to mess with the electronics too much and keeping it usable if you want to use it for long trips.

Not sure if it was just how my speakers are set up or his mike or something but the interior seemed quite noisy. I could barely hear Harry over the booming when it was idling.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:09 pm Interestingly there are a couple for sale under or around the £60k mark. Add £16k ish for a manual conversion and £75k all in for a manual one doesn't seem too bad given the prices they were at a while back. Still knocking on the door of a DBS though, and both appeared in bond films so you can't separate them on that :lol:
The manual conversion doesn't appear to be all that worthwhile - I think the future torque converter auto will be the one to have.

The Vanquish has always been a fantastic looker, so I can see the Callum's appeal even if some of the detailing is a bit crass (the logo is nasty, the dials don't look good and I think Harry was just being nice about them, and the wheels really need to be the same on both sides of the car :lol: ) but I'd be very tempted if I'd had a Euromillions win. At that sort of price level, I think having something bespoke is more appealing than a bargain-priced nearly-new McLaren 720s, for instance.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:55 am Rebodied Ferrari by Touring. Bloody hell it's fugly.
linked so we don't have to see it
I'm undecided... I think it might be the vertical fin which I don't like? But I kind of like it? I see what they're going for but not sure it works and would maybe have looked a lot better without it and having a larger rear "canopy" type finish.

Some of the details I really don't like but as harry said, they're down to the individual owner - the orange & those angle markings on the fin. And what's with the horribly cheap looking logo in the centre of the steering wheel (presumably the same as the one on the bonnet).

Its great cars like this exist though and clearly the owner plans to use it properly so that's good to see.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m a fan of the fin - fins are awesome and should be brought back but that’s as far as it goes.
The car to me looks like it’s based on an SLS? Particularly the front lights and the whole rear minus the fin?
Anyone know what the lights are from?
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I don't mind the fin, the number on the side looks crap, the weird curved grey/orange box details front and rear look shit, And why have they put the rear number plate above the number plate recess?