Hybrid batteries

ShockDiamonds

Hybrid batteries

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Not news I know, but the Panamera is going quite a bit further on battery alone, now that the weather is warmer. My morning commute is 19 miles. A40 dual carriageway then country roads and through villages. During the winter, the engine would activate towards the end of the dual carriageway bit, then go on and off at various times through the villages until reaching the office, normally with a flat hybrid battery. I'd do around 14 miles I guess, if driving at moderate speed (60 down the A40 and no more than 70), before the engine came on.

Now though, I'm getting to the villages with the battery still on 20%. This means I roll through them without the engine running (because even though 20% is normally the point at which the engine spins up, it only does that if it thinks it's going to need to use the engine soon). So I'm doing perhaps another 3 or 4 miles just because the weather is warmer. This also means I'm arriving at the office with an engine which has just started, so there's no heat in it, but which I immediately them switch off. Porsche insist this is fine for the car but longer term I'd have thought it wasn't.

Anyhoo, interesting to me anyway :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Hybrid batteries

Post by Rich B »

I’d love to see the Porsche mechanics face having to entertain questions like that!
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

YMMV but I believe my LOLvo uses the engine coolant to condition the battery pack and keep it at a constant temperature for consistent performance - so the engine is reasonably "warm" when starting after a longish battery drive anyway. Maybe something similar on the Guantanamera.
tim

Post by tim »

Helps sneak by the rock-throwers I guess.
Marv

Post by Marv »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm Not news I know, but the Panamera is going quite a bit further on battery alone, now that the weather is warmer. My morning commute is 19 miles. A40 dual carriageway then country roads and through villages. During the winter, the engine would activate towards the end of the dual carriageway bit, then go on and off at various times through the villages until reaching the office, normally with a flat hybrid battery. I'd do around 14 miles I guess, if driving at moderate speed (60 down the A40 and no more than 70), before the engine came on.

Now though, I'm getting to the villages with the battery still on 20%. This means I roll through them without the engine running (because even though 20% is normally the point at which the engine spins up, it only does that if it thinks it's going to need to use the engine soon). So I'm doing perhaps another 3 or 4 miles just because the weather is warmer. This also means I'm arriving at the office with an engine which has just started, so there's no heat in it, but which I immediately them switch off. Porsche insist this is fine for the car but longer term I'd have thought it wasn't.

Can you not choose when to switch to battery then Mark?

I know some other hybrids allow you to choose when to switch to battery, so when you get to town/city, you can switch your dirty IC engine off and switch to battery power. Won't somebody please think of the children?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I always try to use the petrol engine in central London to make up for the times I pay the congestion charge 😇
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

The thrill of whirring
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s not good for the engine, but, it would have been designed into it so probably makes no difference. It probably does more harm to the exhaust system than anything else and modern exhausts seem particularly good compared to 20 years ago.

Dave!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Marv wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:37 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:05 pm Not news I know, but the Panamera is going quite a bit further on battery alone, now that the weather is warmer. My morning commute is 19 miles. A40 dual carriageway then country roads and through villages. During the winter, the engine would activate towards the end of the dual carriageway bit, then go on and off at various times through the villages until reaching the office, normally with a flat hybrid battery. I'd do around 14 miles I guess, if driving at moderate speed (60 down the A40 and no more than 70), before the engine came on.

Can you not choose when to switch to battery then Mark?

I know some other hybrids allow you to choose when to switch to battery, so when you get to town/city, you can switch your dirty IC engine off and switch to battery power. Won't somebody please think of the children?
By switching to ePower mode it only uses the battery (below 84mph IIRC) but once the battery drops below 20% the engine comes on at speed and ePower automatically disengages and you're in hybrid mode, engine and battery working depending upon road, traffic and speed. Point is by the time I get the office, which is just about at the extent of the battery's range this time of year, it's on zero and the engine is just coming on. Will probably try it in eCharge mode for a day or so next week and through the village immediately before the office in order to put some heat into the engine/exhaust before switching it off.
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 pm The thrill of whirring
Zzzzzzz

Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?

I genuinely (as a dyed in the wool Porsche fanatic) cannot see why you’d buy some hybrid VW engined saloon over say an M5 and to hell with the MPG. If you’re obsessed with penny pinching then switch back to a 520d, no?

I just don’t get the point of them.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Also, what happens on the way home!??
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:06 am
mik wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 pm The thrill of whirring
Zzzzzzz

Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?

I genuinely (as a dyed in the wool Porsche fanatic) cannot see why you’d buy some hybrid VW engined saloon over say an M5 and to hell with the MPG. If you’re obsessed with penny pinching then switch back to a 520d, no?

I just don’t get the point of them.
You wouldn't understand, or something.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

On the way home, engine starts immediately usually and off you go (charging as you do so). And I suppose I bought this one because of the spec, and despite the hybrid gubbins. Didn’t set out to buy a hybrid. Can see the appeal tho.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

GG. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:06 am Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?
Because most driving is dull shit, and these sorts of cars are very good at that stuff. And if they hasten the death of diesels that can only be a good thing.

Anyway, with that sort of journey I'd be letting the petrol engine run as soon as I got on the dual carriageway - past 50mph the battery usage is heavy and the petrol engine fairly efficient. Plus if you need cabin heat it's better to warm some coolant to do it than use the battery to run an electric heater. If you're not charging at work, better to arrive with some battery left to use on the way home than to drain it and need to start the engine straight away on the trip home.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

OV9 - The Thrill Of Choosing The Energy Source When Using The Cabin Heater.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The thrill of spending eleventy billion pounds on a new car to save a few quid on petrol and pretend you're saving the planet 😀
Cheers, Harry
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 am The thrill of spending eleventy billion pounds on a new car to save a few quid on petrol and pretend you're saving the planet 😀
Fuck the polar bears.

But the low BIK tax is very pleasing. ;)
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

PreacherCain wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:14 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 am The thrill of spending eleventy billion pounds on a new car to save a few quid on petrol and pretend you're saving the planet 😀
Fuck the polar bears.

But the low BIK tax is very pleasing. ;)
Exactly why my boss has decided to get a Mini massive hybrid Cooper thing.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

simon_g wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am
GG. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:06 am Seriously this is some dull shit. What’s the point of buying something with (faux) sporty credentials to use it like an electrical appliance?
Because most driving is dull shit, and these sorts of cars are very good at that stuff. And if they hasten the death of diesels that can only be a good thing.

Anyway, with that sort of journey I'd be letting the petrol engine run as soon as I got on the dual carriageway - past 50mph the battery usage is heavy and the petrol engine fairly efficient. Plus if you need cabin heat it's better to warm some coolant to do it than use the battery to run an electric heater. If you're not charging at work, better to arrive with some battery left to use on the way home than to drain it and need to start the engine straight away on the trip home.
May have a point there. Will try this tomorrow.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 pm
simon_g wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am

May have a point there. Will try this tomorrow.
It’s the way forward. I tend to use the LOLvo electric motor for urban stuff and the petrol engine for motorways etc. Simple enough rationale, the motor only has 100hp, the petrol engine over 300...