4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Mito Man

Re: 4 Paw Dog Drive Fleet running report

Post by Mito Man »

I love big dawgs but this just reaffirms that I'm too lazy to own one. I'm happy with my toy dog who goes on 2x 15 minute walks a day and spends the other 23 and a half hours sleeping.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:12 pm I love big dawgs but this just reaffirms that I'm too lazy to own one. I'm happy with my toy dog who goes on 2x 15 minute walks a day and spends the other 23 and a half hours sleeping.
You need 2 big dogs, they just fight and tire eachother out

Failing that just get an ex racing greyhound, aka small dog stuck inside a big dog body. They’ll make your bichon look active :lol:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:12 pm I love big dawgs but this just reaffirms that I'm too lazy to own one. I'm happy with my toy dog who goes on 2x 15 minute walks a day and spends the other 23 and a half hours sleeping.
If I ever have another dog I’m following your example
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Top effort @mik, she's a beaut! Weird how some are chewers and some couldn't give a monkeys about doing it.
Cheers,

Mike.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Our little Labrador is no longer little, 6 month old and she's a biggun!

No one knows what she is when we are out and about, we think its because there aren't many fox red Labs in our area, we haven't seen another on our walks at all.

People are surprised when we say she is a Lab, and then more surprised when they know she's not fully grown 😂

She's very long!

She grew out of chewing everything she shouldn't thankfully, as I like my office chair, we found beef tendons to be a good thing to keep her occupied chew wise, but now her big teeth are coming in they don't last as long, so could do with something a bit more hardy perhaps.

I'm loving that she gets me out of the house for an hour at dinnertime every day if I'm not working away, rather than just sitting on my arse all day, we go all over walking and it's great, you end up talking to a lot of people when you have a dog, it's very sociable!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Our boys get on really well with these….

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16579570137 ... nVEALw_wcB

We put peanut butter and small dog biscuits in them and pop them in the freezer.

They destroy all the king stuff we tried but for some reason they are quite easy going on these.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Interesting that that's from Australia. I would have thought they'd try to teach their dogs not to chew things like look like snakes?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

That looks like something she'd like, and will keep her entertained, I'll get one ordered.

We have a Giant Kong Wobbler, and a snuffle mat and snuffle ball which she enjoys, its all about keeping them occupied when they're young!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

So I now know intimately how the inside of a dogs scrotum looks like.

I made the decision to get both of mine castrated as they were getting nipped and attacked a lot. I couldn’t think of anything else that’s setting the dogs off as their stance, temperament etc is absolutely fine but it has made them both very defensive now. A new dog gets towered over and they put their head above the other dogs which is a dominant move. Hutch especially was very protective of his brother.

So Hutch is fine, had them out, popped a t-shirt thing on and all good.

Cooper was odd, he was great at the vets with everyone but as soon as he had a couple round him he decided he didn’t want a needle in his foot. I had to go and sit next to him and then he was fine. Seeing him fall asleep though reminded me of Flash and I nearly had a wobble.
He has had to be re stitched once, then again and now today he has torn them all out again. This is despite a T-shirt thing, a pair of boxers and a cone. He broke one cone already and shoved the table and small chest freezer a few feet when he got annoyed.

So I’ve checked it’s clean, luckily he is ok with me inspecting it. Tomorrow it’s back to the vets and I’ll ask for non dissolving stitches as hopefully they will be stronger and he can get healed and go out for walks again, he is hating being stuck in, it’s a week tomorrow since he had it done.

If other dogs still come up and have a pop after this, I’ll just let them sort it out themselves.

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Poor pup(s) :( Gws!
mik

Post by mik »

Our GSD got “dressed” on Friday. Trad as opposed to endoscopic surgery - which is less invasive but leaves more in place.

She was totally out of it Friday night, but is recovering very well.
mik

Post by mik »

Forgot I had posted that - recovery from the above op was quite remarkable - my first experience of a dog not requiring a lamp-shade cone to prevent them nibbling at their stitches. She came out of the vets sans-cone as they didn't feel she needed one, and subsequently didn't bother with the wound at all. A bit bizarre, but also very 8-)

Anyway - had fun last night. Let all the dogs out as usual just as we headed to bed. At 03:30 I was woken up by our old lab (nearly 15 now) yelping at our bedroom door - which generally means "I need out" if it's during the night (or "where's my feckin breakfast?" if it's morning). I went to get her -barefoot of course - and stepped into a warm soggy patch on the hall carpet- she'd had a little accident. :? Bit gross but no biggy - took her downstairs into the kitchen to let her out into the garden, and in the dark stepped fully onto a large shit just at the door. Ah - another accident. :? So whilst she was outside, I was hopping around the kitchen to get big floor wipres to clean my foot, then cleaning the floor, and laying an old towel over the damp bit upstairs until I could get the carpet cleaner onto it this morning. Other dogs didn't even stir. It's the middle of the night dad.....

She clearly wasn't right - wanted back out again at 04:45 (which felt like about 60seconds after I fell back asleep again, but I was up like a rocket to ensure we didn't have a repeat). And of course - she seems absolutely fine this morning. :roll:

I'm knackered. :(
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Poor doggo, hope she's OK Mik.

I'm surprised how big our Lab has grown, and she's only 8 months, she's certainly the size of what I'd expect a fully grown female Lab to be already, must be the ginger genes!
mik

Post by mik »

Any idea what her weight is? Our old one is from working lines, and always hovered around the 25-26kg range. Our first lab was from show lines, and was always a bit bigger / heavier at 29-30kg.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

When dogs get older they can have far more sensitive stomachs aswell, she may have eaten something ?

Ours are proving to be super, no issues at present, just happy doggy stuff.

Dave!
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

She's more long than heavy right now looking at her, she has a lot of filling out to do, last time we weighed her she was 23.7 kg when she was 7 months old.

Her mum was a family pet and her dad was a gun dog, and a very big one at that, he was very muscular for a lab. She certainly takes after dad more than mum!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gws mik lab.
mik

Post by mik »

Old lab has recovered from whatever malady occured above, reverting back to her previous "marginal" status for lasting a full night without needing to go out for a pee. Bless her.

So maybe 3 nights a week she will bark to wake you up around 05:00 to let her out. Not what you'd choose - and weirdly I appear to be the only member of the household able to hear this call for assistance :roll: - but not the worst thing in the world. Unfortunately our rescue dog has started taking the opportunity to be a sneaky bastard..... she has always been very dexterous, and able to open doors, and has now clicked that whilst I am out of the room for 120 seconds sorting the old mutt - our bedroom door is closed, but not locked.

I have now returned to bed several times only to find my side fully occupied by 35kg of floof - tail wagging enthusiastically through the near darkness as you approach. Have tried just squeezing on beside her, but it doesn't yield much sleep before the alarm goes off. Have now taken to kicking her off the bed, getting myself comfy and then allowing her back up to find a remaining space to snuggle up. I should really kick her out of the room completely, but…. I'm too soft..... :oops:
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Good to hear lab has recovered 8-)
Cheeky rescue :lol: