Your fleet running reports

Mito Man

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Mito Man »

Say you have an AWD SUV which is cross axled (2 diagonal wheels in contact with ground and 2 in the air) - it should be able to only send power to the 2 which still have grip right? It shouldn’t be stupid enough to only send power to the 2 in the air and get nowhere?
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Wouldn't that be dependent on the diffs?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Have Waitrose really let their car parks get that bad ?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:41 pm Wouldn't that be dependent on the diffs?
Yeah but I thought the tech would deal with it - obviously I’ve overestimated the BMW X drive system. Looks like it can only split power between axles and not individual wheels. I thought it would get round it by applying brakes to the free wheels but it must only do it under cornering
30 mins wasted with this today
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

You actually have to keep on the throttle and it will dig itself out if there is any grip on the loaded tyres.

It needs to see a bigger differential in wheel speed.

The ML in Off-Road setting has worse suspension for off roading but a far better setting for the traction control for this very reason.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

It’ll be entirely reliant on the traction control - the centre diff may be relatively sophisticated (although I’m not even sure it is on a 12yr old X5) but the front and rear diffs will be completely open.

Getting cross-axled is much more common now 4x4s are often independently sprung rather than live-axled, but having to rely on the electronics to brake a spinning wheel is a very inelegant way to make up for the lack of a rear diff lock. Even the new Defender suffers this ☹️
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes that’s full axle articulation and yet it’s barely more than a road car. But then again if you want a SUV which handles like a road car you end up with a tall road car disguised as a SUV.
Pressing the DSC switch on once is meant to be the recommended low grip mode but it didn’t help. Holding it for 8 seconds turns it off which with the aid of many branches got it out.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That pretty shit, the ML would easily dig out of that as would most things I’ve seen out playing in the mud.

Proper articulation is lovely but it has its disadvantages. A perfect spec 4x4 would have a LSD rear end or locker IMO.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

I suspect our Yeti would've made a better fist of it than that to be honest.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

My Touareg has locking centre & rear diffs. No problem with cross-axle stuff.

BEB22151-9EC8-49E4-A6A9-FC8372EE809F.jpeg
BEB22151-9EC8-49E4-A6A9-FC8372EE809F.jpeg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

Nobody expects an X5 to go off road. Be realistic.
Beany

Post by Beany »

On the subject of open diffs, with the recent wet weather and leaves, my car often ends up parked in a pile of wet leaves.

I have been dialling in 4k and dumping the clutch, then doing a one wheel peel away from my parking spot.

I'm sure the neighbours think I'm a fucking legend, and definitely aren't intensely annoyed with me and my childish antics. :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Since “fleet” covers all - I sorted my SGS leaf blower/sucker today. Cold starting was a PITA - running then dying. Could not tell if I had a spark prob, or was suffering fuel starvation . Once it ran hot starting and running was great.

Special “pac-man” adjustment tool, and a YouTube tutorial on 2-stroke carb setup - (WTAbsoluteFuck did we do before YouTube?? :? ) made the process a doddle. 2-strokes are uncharted territory for me....

It’s now running better than it did as supplied - so I can’t fail to be happy with that.

BWARRRRRP!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:43 am
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 amA bit of nosing about turned up a late A2 being broken localishlly so a quick, easy, cheap fix - except I bought the whole car.
I like your style 8-)

(the buying crappy cars you don’t really need bit; the obsession with A2s I’m still struggling with tbh ;))

Mock all you like, so far it's behaved like an Elise (rusty wishbone mot fail (+ front brake hoses)). The sills are fine :P
If there is an obsession it's perhaps more with not liking cars being scrapped unnecessarily.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Nathan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:08 am It sold straight away, but lovely things
Now on AT for £8k.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Anyone else booked on?

Looks like @dan might be?
I'm going for a 9am slot so I can be back working before anyone notices I"m not around :D
Left over crest; tightens.
dan

Post by dan »

JonMad wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:34 am

Anyone else booked on?

Looks like @dan might be?
I'm going for a 9am slot so I can be back working before anyone notices I"m not around :D
I wouldn't book that :D

I won the virtual race of rememberance last weekend and thats my prize :D
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nice. You gonna be there then?
Left over crest; tightens.
dan

Post by dan »

No idea when I’m going actually, we just won the skid pan experience and a blast round the track in the f type svr but they’ve not said when.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I did the Mission Motorsport skidpan thingie last year. With Cup 2s it was like skating on ice.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

£230 for a new wing from Merc for the old stager. Just ordered it. How much should I be charged for fitting and painting in your opinion folks? Ta.