Your fleet running reports

simon_g

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by simon_g »

Stepwgn MOT passed, no issues. Still loving this weird, boxy, slow, thirsty thing.

Need to dig out the replacement tailgate (bought 2 years ago now) from the back of the garage and get that fitted and painted. eGolf goes back in January and with the weird state of both the new and used car market I think we'll just use the Stepwgn for everything for a while.
Nic

Post by Nic »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am
Nic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 am
Looks fantastic. What suspension components did you use? Genuine MB or lemforder / meyle etc.
All the suspension arms were genuine, I think it was only the front subframe bushes that were pattern parts as the stiffer genuine ones weren’t available. They are stiffer ones from a 201 chassis car I believe.
The diff bushes are NLA but luckily they were really good still.

The biggest issue is finding a small wire rear screen for a good price. They were NLA from Merc when I checked a few years back so I’m hoping they come back for a reasonable price.

How is yours progressing ?

Dave!
I’m really pleased with the progress.

All the front end is complete ready for the rebuilt engine and loom to go back in.

Started work on the rear of the car, what we thought were three areas has quickly progressed in to 7 or 8 areas.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Considering what was chopped away then that looks very factory finish 8-)

We found a crack near a rear subframe mount, it went to the box section that is full of expanding foam from the factory. Worth looking at as you have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it.

There was a 4 cylinder 124 cabriolet driving around the IOW which just oozes class, very cool cars.

Dave!
Nic

Post by Nic »

The rear of my car is stripped and everything’s getting attacked with the wire wheel, there was a couple of areas that I wasn’t expecting rot so that’s set me back a bit but hopefully can get repair panels for them, or look for a donor. Panel gaps on the front end are very good, you wouldn’t know that so much metal work has been done.

Time to start ordering new suspension components now, I’ll probably get a price list from merc and then compare it with autodoc for lemforder and febi bilstein parts.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Give Dave a bell as he had a website which ended up having loads of fastenings and clips etc which saved a fortune.

It’s always worth checking with the dealer though as the pricing structure is so haphazard you get some real bargains.

Dave!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

928 has gone to Strasse for an MOT and estimate of all the other things to be fixed. Looks like the replacement ABS harness I acquired fixed the ABS issue as it only failed on emissions and had an advisory for a suspension bush. Just waiting for the final estimate now.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:32 pm Give Dave a bell as he had a website which ended up having loads of fastenings and clips etc which saved a fortune.

It’s always worth checking with the dealer though as the pricing structure is so haphazard you get some real bargains.

Dave!
Think they fell out?
Nic

Post by Nic »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 pm
V8Granite wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:32 pm Give Dave a bell as he had a website which ended up having loads of fastenings and clips etc which saved a fortune.

Dave!
Think they fell out?
Says who? I’ve spoken to Dave quite recently.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Fabia failed its MOT on one of the shocks. Which are special rally spec and, I was told by the previous owner, Gaz Golds.
Also an advisory on a coil spring.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 pm Fabia failed its MOT on one of the shocks. Which are special rally spec and, I was told by the previous owner, Gaz Golds.
Also an advisory on a coil spring.
Oh, bummer. Gaz will rebuild shocks though. Drop them a line.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

More accurately, offside rear bush excessively worn.
Nice rusty pic... (advisory on all 4 coil springs being corroded)
2021-09-24 13.11.22 copy.jpg
2021-09-24 13.11.22 copy.jpg (228.43 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
The shock can be moved about as per this video. On the nearside it can't be moved in this way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ufhdnj31sro8 ... 9.mov?dl=0

I'll ping Gaz to see what they think.
Could I also put a set of std, non-adjustable shocks on the back, if it's the spring that sets the ride height?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Oh yes, that bush may not even be present anymore 😂

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Oh yeah. That’s pretty crusty.

Standard dampers will be fine. Bilstein seem to be popular for being fairly tough.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Or maybe possible to replace the bushes?
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Beetle passed MOT with no issues. Due a cambelt change, though. I really like the Beetle despite its flaws.

BMW has developed a leak :o but not an engine leak, it's coming from the Dynamic Drive adaptive suspension motor. It's a slow leak so the garage said to just keep an eye on the fluid reservoir for now. Replacement unit is £1600 brand new :roll: so I'll buy a refurbished unit or something along those lines at and get it done at some point. Garages said 2/3 hours labour so not terrible. Will also see if I can get the current one repaired perhaps.

Mustang went out for a jaunt last weekend. The more I drive it the more I appreciate it 8-) that needs some TLC but nothing urgent, mainly cosmetic.

Edit: I've sold the 2.2 CDTI Civic as it just wasn't getting used enough, and 4 cars hanging around doing not a lot seemed excessive (and was expensive). So we're down to 3 doing not a lot. I'm actually quite sad to see the Civic go as it was a good motor. Very refined for an older diesel, excellent MPG and plenty quick enough. Despite a few issues I still rate them highly. Good workhorses.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Neighbours fleet update - the scrappy Golf had a stuck sump plug so neighbour roped me in to consult before he tried something fucking stupid with a hammer. Because doing something stupid with a hammer is my specialty...

Twenty minutes later with the aid of a rubber mallet and shouting STRENGTH OF TEN MEN as I smacked it, and it came loose. Felt like it might have been cross threaded in the past but running the new plug in and out a few times cleaned the threads up so that's good enough.

Did the oil/filter change, located the cam position sensor (throwing a code for it), replacement ordered, coffee supped, teenage daughter annoyed by our old man grumbling.

Fairly productive afternoon all in.

Car needs some detail parts for the boot release mechanism (some ball and socket arm part that connects the handle to the mechanism has gone walkies), a suspension noise on steering lock and an exhaust blow to fix and it'll be good to move on.

Haven't looked at the steering noise in anger, could get interesting...

On my own car, I've been bemoaning that I couldn't find an oil catch can that could take the 6.5 litres this car contains. Had a glorious realisation that I could just get a cheap basin from the supermarket that can handle that much, and use an old 5litre screenwash jug or two (which I have) to contain the oil after the fact.

I'm a genius*

*Incredibly stupid
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 pm

On my own car, I've been bemoaning that I couldn't find an oil catch can that could take the 6.5 litres this car contains. Had a glorious realisation that I could just get a cheap basin from the supermarket that can handle that much, and use an old 5litre screenwash jug or two (which I have) to contain the oil after the fact.

I'm a genius*

*Incredibly stupid

Slick solution, happy pouring.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Golf in economy mode, air con off and a long motorway drive yielding 63mpg.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:17 pm Golf in economy mode, air con off and a long motorway drive yielding 63mpg.
Handy 8-)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The Petrol God's have shunned me for teasing people in the queues :(

I ran the i3 today on petrol to hold state of charge as I haven't run the motor for over a month and the CEL has come on :roll:

I'll buy an Aldi code reader but the internet suggests that there will be no code and it will go off itself as it's solely down to the motor not being run enough.