Your fleet running reports

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:32 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:29 am
16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:16 am Haha, it's very good on fuel, my wife uses it more than me and her commute is 8 miles each way on very hilly roads and she can get 2 days on just electric without needing to charge it, if I don't use it for work it would never use any fuel!
is it a PHEV?
Yep 2.5 PHEV.
so it's not really 80mpg, you're putting in electricity too.

My M2 does around 5000 miles per gallon (of oil - I'm ignoring the petrol for my calculation).
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 pm It's a Ford though!
I had the same thought when I got the focus. It doesn’t make any untoward noises at all and feels better put together than the fabia courtesy car I had recently. Pleasantly surprised, I expected at least one squeak or rattle from a 4 year old car
mik

Post by mik »

Spent a few hours this afternoon doing a "15-minute job" (my estimate) on eldest Miklet's Civic. The front offside drop link had broken at the lower balljoint, so was just flapping around. Of course the nuts were as rusty as a mofo, and attempting to remove them just caused the balljoints to spin.

Arse.

Tried a nut splitter on one end, but as there wasn't room to get it sitting perfectly flush to the surface - it just repeatedly failed. In the end we had no option but to set Mr Anglegrinder on both of them (cutting off the nut on one end of the droplink, and the balljoint on the other end as it was easier to access). Total PITA as space was tight. New one went on in seconds. Grrr - old cars..... :evil:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

jamcg wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 pm
16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 pm It's a Ford though!
I had the same thought when I got the focus. It doesn’t make any untoward noises at all and feels better put together than the fabia courtesy car I had recently. Pleasantly surprised, I expected at least one squeak or rattle from a 4 year old car
Yeah i'd certainly get another Ford on the strength of this one, it certainly feels as though it's made to last.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:29 am is it a PHEV?
Yep 2.5 PHEV.

My M2 does around 5000 miles per gallon (of oil - I'm ignoring the petrol for my calculation).
I'm not paying for the electricity, and you don't measure consumption of electric in gallons, so I'm 100% sure it's doing what I said.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:56 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Yep 2.5 PHEV.

I'm not paying for the electricity, and you don't measure consumption of electric in gallons, so I'm 100% sure it's doing what I said.
This sounds like Timculator maths!
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Sadly to even it out, my wife has been using the XF for her commute whilst I've been in LA and it's done 80 liters of diesel in three weeks.

Big diesels are great for distance, but not for short journeys, also had a yellow DPF Full, drive car message, she did a 20 mile up and down the a road journey and it's cleared.

But the DPF showed it has a low capacity remaining on Pathfinder earlier, so I'll try force regen it on the way to service tomorrow, and if not I'll take it off and send it for a refresh.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Elise update.

After last weekends trip to M-Sport i decided that something needed done about the noise. It has a 2Bular sports exhaust on it which was always pretty loud however recently i noticed it was just getting a bit obscene. My apple watch has noise limit warnings on it and on the motorway it kept triggering the noise alerts. After i got home i was looking at the data in the health app and it was showing 95 db sustained noise on the motorway. Which was just a bit much. After a bit eBaying i managed to source a "Brand new, second hand :lol: " Lotus unit. Cheeky offer of cash and pickup at £250 and the guy agreed.

Collected last week and fitted it on Friday night. On first start up i thought "Oh, Thats very quiet" however after putting the undertrays back on and taking it for a drive it actually sounds perfectly fine. Motorway test on the noise meter app say's 81 db so not quiet but much improved.

The 2Bular on removal has a rattle inside it so im expecting that the baffles have slowly collapsed. The good news on this is that its a repackable exhaust. The end is riveted on so im going to pop that off for a look inside. May be able to fix it and sell it on if I dont decide to re-fit it. They retail about £800.

ETA - My arse dyno says it feels a bit quicker with the new exhaust. Another indication that the 2Bular was not in the best health.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

£250 sounds like a good deal, got to be at least cost neutral after selling the 2bular.
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:50 am £250 sounds like a good deal, got to be at least cost neutral after selling the 2bular.
Deffo. The unit had never been on a car.

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 pm
16vCento wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:56 pm
Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 pm so it's not really 80mpg, you're putting in electricity too.

This sounds like Timculator maths!
At 5000 MPGo you save on having to drop & change the oil. The ultimate tiiiMculator machine 8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

scotta wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 am
duncs500 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:50 am £250 sounds like a good deal, got to be at least cost neutral after selling the 2bular.
Worth retrying the 2bular after 'fixing' it? Just in case?

I know they're not cheap - but I had my eyes opened to switchable exhausts on the Alfa. Problem is that quiets *too* quiet when you're in the mood, but loads too loud when you're not, like just wanting to get home on the motorway.

Guess it depends how much you'll miss the 2buluar noise...
scotta

Post by scotta »

Matty wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 pm
Worth retrying the 2bular after 'fixing' it? Just in case?

I know they're not cheap - but I had my eyes opened to switchable exhausts on the Alfa. Problem is that quiets *too* quiet when you're in the mood, but loads too loud when you're not, like just wanting to get home on the motorway.

Guess it depends how much you'll miss the 2buluar noise...
Exacltly that. Ive not seen a valves system for the Elise. The Exige V6 comes valved from the factory.

Ill pop the end off it and see what the innards look like. It not worth much in its current rattling loose condition either way.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Noice. 8-)
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Did the rear pads on the Volvo, which despite the fiddly electronic parking brake was pretty straight forward. Got to the front pads and when I eventually got the caliper off I discovered that ECP had sent me the wrong pads as the new ones were about 5mm deeper than the originals, so I'll have to get them returned. Volvo passed its first MOT this lunchtime with an advisory for the front pads being low (they're about 70% worn).

Tried to do the front pads on the Boxster and couldn't get the metal pin that holds the pad retaining clips in out. It's corroded and would only budge about 10mm. Might attack it with some emery cloth and the dremel and see if I can get it cleaned up, but I'll probably order a couple from Porsche (Porsche recommend that the pin is changed every time you do the pads and I can see why now). Either way it's a job for next weekend. It's getting new tyres on Thursday and I'm looking forward to seeing what a difference that makes to the car.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The update you’ve all been waiting for, finally managed to remove the handbrake grip, so I could make the final piece 😄

Wish I could find some of the plain red bolster fabric to do the sides of the arm rest as it looks a little lost with it down 😂
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

8-) That’s awesome
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is it possible for a wheel bearing to go bad without the usual symptom of the noise changing when swerving? I'm running out of ideas on what else it could be on the Model 3. It is a roller bearing rather than tapered bearing if that makes a difference. Can't really spin the wheel by hand at any sort of speed as it's AWD. Can't see/feel any unusual tyre wear, rotated the tyres too and noise is no different. Can't really feel any play, there's a tiny bit but I think that's just the bushes.
I'm stumped :?
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

AWD would not be a mechanical link between the wheels on a Tesla surely?